Need tougher minimalist trail shoes

Hi all, Brand new member to the board. I have been running for the last 3 years, mainly on road/path with the odd soft trail. I currently live in Egypt next to the Sinai mountains and have started running frequently up into their valleys and along sharp rocky ridge lines. Amazing fun! Anyway. I have used Merrell barefoot range and love them for the past years. Trail Gloves and recently alternate with Bare Access as well. The tread is good but the softer parts of the sole are getting real abuse from the sharp rocks especially as I do a lot of nimble jumping and scrambling. Does anyone have any recommendations for minimalist, zero drop that might be more appropriate for my new running conditions while still providing the incredible comfort I get from my trail gloves? Thanks image

Comments

• you could try the inov8 trailrocs, they are apparantly ok for hard packed trails etc. little bit narrower than the merrells, but may be ok for you

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Trailroc-235-Aqua-Lime-Red.html?L=26&A=Trail&G=Male

• the inov8's wear out a lot faster though, the rubber is nowhere near as durable, i cant think of a more durable shoe than the trailglove, both mine lasted 1500+ miles, and still had life in the rubber, the uppers were what went. 

ive been trying to find something different for muddier conditions myself but i havent come across anything yet that i like. i'm gonna keep a keen eye on some of the posts in here for ideas myself.

• I generally have to get new merrells every ooh 6 -8 months or so, as the tread disappears
  • Thanks for the replies. I find my trail gloves last about 6 months from road or easy trail running usually ending with the harder part of the vibran sole wearing through to reveal the sole underneath.

In current usage the hard part is doing ok it's just the softer rubber is easily cut up by sharp rocks. I emailed Merrell and they suggested the mix master but this is not zero drop so will be less comfortable for me (from previous experience) and it has a thicker bottom, it might last longer but only because there is more of ot not because it is stronger.

Any other ideas? Thanks.