Faceplanted the pavement this evening

If you were out running, and saw a fellow runner sitting in a pile of leaves with blood dripping from their chin, would you (a) stop and see if they were ok or (b) glance over and keep going?

Though many thanks to the cyclist who stopped soon after. I was ok and there wasn't much you could do to help, but it was nice to have someone stop and check as I was a bit shaken having head butted the floor!

Anyway, not much point to this thread, but feel free to make me feel better with stories of yor trips and falls! (feel better that I'm not the only one rather than schadenfreude!)

Or any tips for a sore swollen knee. Got a half marathon next weekend....

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ibuprofen?

And this is my best running injury. 3 years ago and I still have a scar!

/members/images/699204/Gallery/April_2011_216_(480x640)_0.jpg

• Yikes! That puts my cuts and grazes into perspective!

How did you even manage that running?

• CB, hope you're ok now

I took a tumble from my bike once, and while I was lying at the side of the road with bike on top of me I could hear cars driving past. Bastards. 

I would always stop to check someone was ok

• I stopped for a cyclist the other day who spectacularly wiped out which I thought was extra nice of me.

But in fairness he had just bunny hopped off the pavement into the road only for the front wheel to fall off and his forks hit the road causing a massive tumble and a serious headshot.

He really should have been wearing a helmet!

I'd always stop if I saw a runner in distress, but then I always stop for people in distress in general, be it at the side of the road with a car problem or someone walking and tripping over.

• Goodness, how rude!

Hope you are feeling OK today.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i would definately stop to check.  though there are plenty of runners out there that would just as a likely swear at you for being an obstacle in the way as they do a tempo run.  mind you i stop to help people with directions so im probably glad of the rest image

• literatin wrote (see)

Ibuprofen?

And this is my best running injury. 3 years ago and I still have a scar!

/members/images/699204/Gallery/April_2011_216_(480x640)_0.jpg

Are you Popeye?  Your forearm is massive. image

Tips for a sore swollen knee?  Get ice on it.  Prepare for it to be a bit stiff for a few days - it'll probably feel worse tomorrow than it does today.  Once the swelling goes down you can try running on it - remember it's a bang on the knee rather than a running-specific injury so it might be fine.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Tripped on a tree root. image

I always stop too. One time I stopped for a cyclist who was swearing like a sailor. He explained that he was just annoyed to get yet another puncture and wished me a nice run. Oh! and just remembered another time I saw an elderly woman come round a corner over a cobblestoned bridge and fall off on her face (blood all over her face and possible broken wrist). Her idiot husband refused to call an ambulance (don't make a fuss) and I had to make him give me his phone and do it myself, then wait for ages making her talk to me. I was only slightly annoyed that this happened in between my warm-up and my tempo run.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

CD- perspective. But I do eat a lot of spinach.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Most of my falls happen off road when I get complacent and not look where I'm putting my feet. Usually nothing more than a few scratches from brambles or nettle stings.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

CB -- Were you wearing an iPod?

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I would stop in almost all cases where someone was hurt. Its pretty low not to, even just a quick 'r u OK?'

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'd stop as well, unless there were people already there taking care of it. Just a thought, car drivers might not always be able to stop safely,especially if there is a lot of traffic.

• Catalin Bond wrote (see)

If you were out running, and saw a fellow runner sitting in a pile of leaves with blood dripping from their chin, would you (a) stop and see if they were ok or (b) glance over and keep going?

Though many thanks to the cyclist who stopped soon after. I was ok and there wasn't much you could do to help, but it was nice to have someone stop and check as I was a bit shaken having head butted the floor!

Anyway, not much point to this thread, but feel free to make me feel better with stories of yor trips and falls! (feel better that I'm not the only one rather than schadenfreude!)

Or any tips for a sore swollen knee. Got a half marathon next weekend....

Tripped and dived headlong into a huge puddle on a parkrun, cutting my knee open, everyone ran past. Well, not everyone, just a few who were behind me. I finished. Mind you, another time I turned my ankle and a lovely lady, who runs pretty fast and mucked up her chances of a good time, stopped, helped me up and offered to help me back to the start. I told her to go on and limped away.

• mattywarr wrote (see)

I stopped for a cyclist the other day who spectacularly wiped out which I thought was extra nice of me.

But in fairness he had just bunny hopped off the pavement into the road only for the front wheel to fall off and his forks hit the road causing a massive tumble and a serious headshot.

He really should have been wearing a helmet!

I'd always stop if I saw a runner in distress, but then I always stop for people in distress in general, be it at the side of the road with a car problem or someone walking and tripping over.

I would have stopped to berate him for being on the pavement! (only joking)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I didn't stop when someone collapsed in front of me in a half marathon once. But that's because there were plenty of spectators and marshals who were clearly better-equipped to do something about it than I was. I'd stop in a parkrun if there were no marshals in sight.

• Crappy runner not to stop.

I had a guy pass out in a marathon once - he just went flat out - but luckily into the grass at the side of the course. It wasn't much of a dilemma for me as I was having a rubbish run - now if I was on for a PB...

I had a few weeks a couple of years ago in which I had a bloke having a heart attack, a little girl who was bleeding profusely, and a car that had snapped its handbrake cable and had rolled out into the road - they all interrupted my running. I really cant understand why you wouldn't stop in these cases ?

Heal well Catalin - I think rest sounds best for you !
  • I feel your pain Catalin, I had a spectacular wipe out of my own a couple of weeks ago - also thanks to a tree root.  Have you been icing your knee?  Seemed to do the trick for me and took away most of the swelling, the oozing / bleeding was another matter though image

More of a walking than running accident but a few years ago my foot got caught in my coat halfway down the escalator at Oxford Circus Station.  I tripped and fell head-first all the way to the bottom on my hands and knees.  No-one as much as tried to help me up, in fact everyone moved to the side to allow me to hurtle by!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Not my accident, but I had to stop the other day because an elderly guy tripped over while staring at my arse when I ran past.  He found it quite amusing and was fine, happily.

• Madbee wrote (see)

Not my accident, but I had to stop the other day because an elderly guy tripped over while staring at my arse when I ran past.  He found it quite amusing and was fine, happily.

I think photographic evidence is required.

• Thanks for all the responses. Knee is still stiff and swollen toady, but less painful that last night. Then I have a grazed right hand and chin. Jaw a bit sore too - think it got pushed up into the socket. Not sure what my left hand was doing - it has escaped completely unscathed. It should have been helping keep my face off the floor!

XXI yes, I was wearing as ipod (as was non stopper running man!)

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I had a face plant in Iceland when I was out on my own on a long run. A kindly Icelander stopped his car to help. I didn't understand a word, but I think he was saying it might be best to get in his car so he could get me to a doctor. I couldn't bring myself to get in due to my blood staining potential, plus I reasoned that I was shy of a mile to make it a 20 mile LR. I think I may have been concussed as I have a vague memory of a guy 'kerb crawling' as I made my way back slowly.

Once back I was taken to a man who looked like a fisherman baiting a hook. He stitched me up good and proper. They were all very kind considering I was doing an Englishman out in the midday sun activity

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Running karma says you should stop, doesn't it?

A street near our house has been renamed Face Plant Alley as it's claimed my other half twice.  The first time I was with her to get her home and try to clean up the gravel rash.  The second time I was away for work - a passing driving instructor interrupted a lesson and got his pupil to give her a lift home image

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I saw a brilliant faceplant the other day on Regents canal. Two really slow large guys running together side by side with a classic lazy glute shuffling gait.

As they are about to traverse an anti cycle speed bump, they seem to converge and one guy manages to shoulder barge the other just as they try to step over. As a result the larger one trips, and ends up sprinting about three yards before slamming his face and shoulder into the towpath with an eyewatering thud.

There were plenty of skinny jeans clad hipster drinkers on hand to stand around and take iphone photos and they helped him eventually. 

• WhippetsWhippets ✭✭✭

Sometimes I'll do a little barefoot at the end of my run (just to keep form in check).

I've had a car pull over and a concerned  young girl ask if I was OK, which was nice of her, but had to explain I hadn't recently escaped! Not running, but I did break my ACL playing football years ago... they carried me off the pitch and I had to wait till the game finished for someone to take me to A&E... cheers lads!

• Had a face plant with the pavement myself a week or so ago , face was a mess and knees too , was used as a hurdle by a runner who obviously has never suffered such a fate, oh the elegance as he glided effortlessly over!!!!! , luckily a couple of pedestrians had the decency to see if all was well , what goes around. Been trampled in a race too which is enough to put anyone off , did i hear the beep of a garmin then ??

• I can recommend falling over as a training technique - half marathon pb today!

• I haven't faceplanted in a long time. But a while back I was passed by an enthusiastic white van man who shouted 'SLAG' at me.

Another runner who happened to be on the other side of the road at the time shouted 'PONCE' at the back of the vehicle driving away and saluted me which made me giggle no end.

Thank you random man, I hope you are a RW forum reader.