Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul - what barbers/hair dressers are open at this time in the morning?!??!

Leslie - not sure to be fair if I've met anyone who 220-age works for - let alone runners!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Once a year haircut is it Gul image

Gentle parkrun tomorrow followed by Keswick Half on Sunday- will try to improve last years 1:26 on a hilly course.

I was also on Nevsky Joolska, very nice. I had no time for the Hermitage either PMJ but did come home 3 pounds heavier. Flight upgrade was th final straw (hic) 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Menn – Maybe it’s just my ‘Madbark-ness’ but I wouldn’t even call marathons 8 weeks apart back to backimage. I’m doing 2 marathons and 2 ultras within 6 weeks and only consider the first couple which are two days apart as back to back.image All joking aside your plan with P&D seems ideal preparation.

SB – Brutal sessions indeed especially with your rib injury and good to hear about your improvement.

Gul – Yes I listened to Barry Murray on MT about his diet. However, I’m following Matt Fitzgerald’s recommendations of only eating a high fat diet for 5-10 days before carbo loading pre marathon.  I’ll continue with my 60/20/20 diet the rest of the time as works well and suits my lifestyle. I hope your 20 mile runs goes well.  10 miles at MP four weeks out sounds perfect to me.

OO – Good luck with your HM on Sunday

I’m all set and raring to go with my first ultra marathon tomorrow. Although it’s a bit scary to read that competitors are recommended to bring a hat, gloves, money, blanket, whistle and first aid kit! That’s on top of the required trail shoes, base layer, weatherproof jacket, backpack, hydration system and emergency rations. You’d think I was running the Marathon de Sables.image

My plan is to run at about 8 minute mile pace where I can and hopefully follow someone who looks like they know what they are doing. I know the guy who came second last year has run a 2:35 marathon but took 4:07 for the 50k so it’s definitely a challenging course. Bring it on!

http://www.lostworldsracing.com/causeway-crossing-2014/

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck tomorrow, Badbark!

• Badbark, you doing the full 100km or the 50km? Round here, 50km counts as ultra as it is more than 42.195

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed, good luck Badbark, rather you than me...

• Badbark - great route along a spectacular part of the world. TBH, setting off at 8 min mile pace sounds quite aggressive given the distance, the terrain and the fact that you're carrying a pack. I'd suggest going a bit slower for the first 15 miles or so and seeing how you feel. All the very best of luck.

Gul - hope the haircut looks good. 20 with 10@MP 4 weeks out sounds OK to me. What sort of taper are you planning?

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PMJ - It's the 50k tomorrow I'm doing with a 100k race in 6 weeks

Thanks Jools and OO-51

Lorenzo - I'll be running to feel so will only be going at 8 m/m along flat sections. That's my easy pace in long runs and what I averaged over 35 miles 2 weeks ago. I'll certainly not be trying to keep that pace over rough ground/hills/beach etc. It's an out and back route so at least I'll know what's coming over the second half image

• Badbark - good luck tomorrow! Let us know how you get on with Matt Fitzgerald???s diet plan - I'm just now reading his book with interest.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-Weather looks fine for tomorrow a little cold maybe not much wind be interesting to hear how you get on ,a mate wanted me to do it last year but doing zero off-road training thought it would be hell,he injured himself then soon after so it didnt happen,   might be tempted by it one day though -50k only mind not that crazy 100k image

00-51 -smash that half .

8 easy miles for me today so back on the wagon after the wheels fell of on Monday.

•  

Badbark wrote (see)

PMJ - It's the 50k tomorrow I'm doing with a 100k race in 6 weeks

Best of luck with it.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Yeh Badbark - as I looked at the time distance between he two I realised it was not really back to back too. Best of luck tomorrow!!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Best of luck Badbark.

PMJ- are you running the shinfield 10k on Monday, I've managed to get a pass so hopefully I'll sort out my four year old pb with a 37.xx. I believe it's flat and fast.

Good luck with the half OO.

Gul- l reckon that 20 with 10@mp will set you up nicely. You're in fine form at the moment, so it's a shame you're not running your local 10k.

• moof wrote (see)

Best of luck Badbark.

PMJ- are you running the shinfield 10k on Monday, I've managed to get a pass so hopefully I'll sort out my four year old pb with a 37.xx. I believe it's flat and fast.

No, probably the only race I'm not doing in May. You'll blast that PB out of the water if you carry that parkrun speed over to 10k.

I did the Ealing Mile today in 5:34, did 5:28 and 5:27 last two outings so the time off with the foot has taken the edge off the speed and fitness but hopefully it will come back. Suppose it is silly: there are only 7 seconds across the three runs so statistically hard to say they are anything but the same.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - That's a pretty quick mile there. I'm sure you can find those sub 80 second laps with a return to some sharper stuff. What were you splits like? What time are you aiming for? Once I am done with exams in June a mile is my main goal and can't wait to go for that. Although at the moment I think 5:4x would be about right for me. I

BB - All the best with your ultra!

Moof  - Good luck with your 10k on Monday. Which side of 37 is your pb? You sound confident.

OO - Good luck with your half too!

Anyone else racing?

Gul - I hope your 20 miler goes well and if you are still aiming for 7:10 pace for MP that will feel comfortable & given your current form it should.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

GM- my pb is 38.06 from 2010, so I reckon that can be sorted. It would be great if I could push the pace to sub 6 mm for 10k but 37.59 would still be great, or is that sand bagging. (Hope so)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - So anywhere between 37:06 and 37:59 would be a preferable score. That's moving some! Is it really called Shinfield or was that a typo?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Yep, Shinfield it is. Just outside Reading, Berkshire.

• GM. it was a road mile so a figure of 8 loop and not 4 laps. I have a track mile scheduled towards the end of June and hope that one will be fast and even.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - Cool, good luck!

• Fck it

Looks like I've damaged either my hamstring or something tendonish or stringy that is in the close proximity. Not a clever trick. I'm guessing that it's bggerd me for a few months, maybe a year. Arse to it. 

Hence the late night post.

• Bloody blimey, Blisters.  Why do you think you're possibly crocked for  a year?
    I hope that's an emotional over-reaction.  Albeit an understandable one.

Arse indeed, if it is that bad.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    OO - good luck at Keswick. Beautiful place for a half.

Bad bark - Hope all goes well with the 50k

PMJ - Speedy running on a tight mile course

Blisters - what on earth have you done?
  • Morning all!

Just popping by quickly to let you know there's a great article in The Times today about off road, or "wild" running today.

Might be worth a look.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tell us more Blisters hope for the best...

Plodtastic 18:45 at the parkrun today. But junior OO won the ladies race in 20:59.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - Good luck in Keswick. Congrats to junior OO.
    Badbark - all the best for your ultra!
    Lorenzo - taper should be something like 85, 60, 35 (never sure how to measure the last week). Can't believe it's only 4 weeks to go! It'll be my first proper mara taper as the first one was 0, 0, 0.
    Leslie - good news.
    PMJ - still a very good time for the Ealing Mile.
    Moof - good luck with the 10k.
    Blisters - sorry to hear that.
    20 miler went ok this morning - usual time, just posting late as I had to nip straight back to bed for my birthday breakfastimage 10 miles @ 8:08m/m and 10 miles @ 7:03 m/m (last 3 were sub 7). Bit of a hard effort though. Maybe something to do with a meal out at an Indian restaurant last nightimage

• Blisters - that sounds pretty sh!t but surely you can't know that you'll be out for a year  without having it looked at. Fingers crossed it's not as serious as first thought.

OO - 18:45 isn't all that ploddy and congrats to junior OO.

Self Transcendence 10K for me this morning - an 8am start in Battersea Park meant that the traffic getting into London wasn't too bad so I arrived in good time despite having put the wrong address in the satnav and only realising as I was crossing the river!

With a PB of 39:55 from 2011 followed by several failed attempts to go sub-40, I was hoping that the leftovers from marathon training would still be there but on yesterday's pair of 2 mile commuting runs my legs had felt very lethargic so I wasn't that confident. Still, the weather was perfect and the course flat, so no real excuses if the goal of sub 39:50 wasn't achieved.

I told myself to take it easy to start and just concentrate on making sure every K was under 4 minutes so had to rein back a bit having done the first one in 3:45 but with each K things were looking good. With 2K to go the PB was in the bag and it was a question of gritting my teeth and seeing how much I got take off it.

Suffice to say I'm still in a bit of a state of shock having blasted nearly a minute off my PB and crossed the line with 38:58 on the clock. Still waiting for the official results, but I'm feeling rather pleased with myself image

Great start to the long weekend!!!

• Gul - x-post. That's a real confidence boosting 20 miler - those last 10 (at marathon pace?) should stand you in good stead for the big day. Perhaps a curry the night before is the ideal pre-race food (except for the other runners)

I presume that your figures for the taper are percentages rather than miles! My learning from this year was not to cut back too much and leave your body feeling sluggish.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

I had to nip straight back to bed for my birthday breakfastimage 10 miles @ 8:08m/m and 10 miles @ 7:03 m/m (last 3 were sub 7). Bit of a hard effort though. 

You're going to have to explain whether "birthday breakfast" is euphemistic or not, and precisely which part was the hard effort. image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - 1 minute is worth a pie. Good work
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - a year ! who gave you that diagnosis ? are they charging you to clone a whole new leg ?

Gul - that 2nd 10M is very nice. You are nice and fit.