Pulled hamstring

yes I know I've been a forumite for years YEARS, but this is the first time I've had a hammy pull.

How long to fix, and what do I need to do ?

Comments

• GIVE YOURSELF 3 WEEKS

Luckily, minor to moderate hamstring strains usually heal on their own. You just need to give them some time. To speed the healing, you can:

REST - Avoid putting weight on the leg as best you can. If the pain is severe, you may need crutches until it goes away. Ask your doctor or physical therapist if they're needed.

ICE - to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.

COMPRESS - Use an elastic bandage around the leg to keep down swelling.

ELEVATE - your leg on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

TAKE ANTI IMFLAMMATORY - Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen. However, these drugs may have side effects, such as an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only short term, unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.

SNB

• Hmm

Standard RICE & pills approach.

I've a nasty feeling that it's going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks. It was a bit tight a month ago, so I left it alone. I tested out on a run and it flared up. I left it alone for another couple of weeks, went for a run and POW, it let me know it was there when I put in a little speed in the final half mile.

Any other received opinion on length of time?
    (I've scratched ideas of any marathons or Ironman events until autumn at least.)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I did mine on the August bank holiday last year. I don't think it was a really bad pull but I had 3 weeks of no running and then eased back in very slowly although I didn't really do any speed work until November.

I did manage to run Abingdon but the lack of training and specific speed work really affected my performance.