New to running - Tips from moving from the GYM to outdoors

Hi all, new here!

I started incorporating 5k's on the treadmill in the gym as part of my workout routine.  I only done this recently (last week).  My first time was 28:43 but have managed to reduce it to 24:28 after a few goes.  

What's your guys opinion of using a treadmill rather than outdoors.  Does it give you a favourable time?

Also, I am keen to try an outdoor 5k, do you guys have any tips i.e. should I be running on a flat terrain, a long straight road vs a park etc.

Thanks for any advice image!

Comments

• Hey buddy, sounds like you've not a bad fitness level.

You should get yourself along to a local ParkRun on a Saturday morning. Just go on www.parkrun.com and sign up and get along next week

SNB
  • If you plan to do an outdoor 5k then you need to train outdoors.  The two are vastly different.  It's impossible to train on completely flat terrain outdoors as there'll always be an undulation, albeit a tiny one, on any surface outdoors.  But tbh, outdoor running allows you to mix up your training a bit, which is good for stamina and strength.  Also, forget about times at this stage.  Concentrate on building experience, improved times will come with practice but if you push hard on times at this stage you risk injury.  

Best way to find out?  Put your trainers on, open door, go running!  

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just get outside and run. The variety of surfaces and hills etc will all help.
  • Scottish Nocturnal Bear - http://www.justgiving.com/crowisdoingmarathon wrote (see)
    Hey buddy, sounds like you've not a bad fitness level.

You should get yourself along to a local ParkRun on a Saturday morning. Just go on www.parkrun.com and sign up and get along next week

SNB

Cheers for that, didn't know such a website existed!

Also, can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes, so much choice I'm kind of lost when trying to select a pair haha.

• Get yourself to a dedicated running shop their staff will be able to look at how your foot strikes the ground and tell you best shoe to help ... 'Sweatshop' or 'run and become' are the 2 companies I've used

SNB
  • Ryan - the best advice here is just get out there and do it. I built up to 10k on a treadmill, and have recently started running outside to prepare for a half marathon. Surprisingly, I find running outside much more comfortable and my speed seems to be faster if anything as you can let your body be your guide rather than sticking to your usual speeds - although take it gently the first few times as the impact is much greater than on a treadmill. Good luck!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Re trainers, sorry but you will need to try a few pairs on for yourself and decide we all have our favourites but might not suit you, if you go for neutral shoes then they will works for most people. But if you go to a decent running shop and get gait analysis you might get some advice on appropriate shoes .

Yes, outside is different to a treadmill and is usually slower initially, but is a lot more fun in the long term. 

• Treadmill running along with outdoors running on different surfaces are all good for fitness. Cycling on gym bike is much easier than cycling outdoors due to the lack of wind resistance, no traffic, uneven surfaces. Running on treadmill and cycling indoors are in a controlled environment.

Your treadmill pace is quicker than running on flat road or much quicker if it is a hilly trail surface. With treadmill you can cheat and maintain pace by holding onto the machine. You do not have that luxury outdoors. Treadmill is controlled environment. Treadmill inclines can be increased that more reflects road running. 1 to 2% incline on treadmill generally replicates intensity of running on a flat road or pavement.

• I found the transition from gym to outdoors quite hard - suddenly dealing with uphills and downhillls!  But I love it now and only go back to the gym when the weather is too poor (for "poor" read icy/snowy) to run outdoors.  Pick somewhere pretty to run and enjoy.  Parkruns as previously suggested are you best first race.

• Thanks guys really appreciate the advice! Definitely going to try out these park runs, there is one quite close to me.  Never even heard of them before, but seem a brilliant idea image!

• I've just started doing this too. Going from weights in the gym to adding running outdoors. Went to an 'Up and Running' shop, had my gait analysed and bought some suitable shoes. Am also planning on joining my first parkrun on Sat!

• photojonny wrote (see)

I've just started doing this too. Going from weights in the gym to adding running outdoors. Went to an 'Up and Running' shop, had my gait analysed and bought some suitable shoes. Am also planning on joining my first parkrun on Sat!

Sounds like your in the same situation as me! I love the fact that you can measure running in comparison to say weights where its hard to quantify the improvements your making. 

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pair of shoes cost (if you don't mind saying).  I've heard they can be pretty pricey!

• I've been using a Fitbit to track my activity and diet and find tracking and quantifying really helps. I've also used Runkeeper on my phone when running. It's brilliant. Every 5 mins it speaks through the phone (or headphones if you're wearing them) telling you your distance and minute per mile pace. If you like tracking and measuring I'd highly recommend it.

As for the trainers, I paid ??80 (with ??20 off in a sale, they were ??100). It is a bit of an outlay, but they seem to be pretty technical pieces of kit, and it's virtually all you need to buy if you have gym clothes already. I've actually cancelled my gym membership as I have a pull up bar and some dumbbells at home, so the trainers will be paid for in 2 months!