Training for 1st marathon

Hi there,

I recently entered my first marathon (Purbeck) and now wondering if I've bitten of more than I can chew..!

Been running for a few years now, more seriously since last summer. Last weekend completed the 10 mile Great Edinburgh Run in 1 hour 50 mins running the whole way which got me all inspired searching for the next big challenge. That 10 miles is the longest I have ever run before currently.

With the Purbeck marathon on 14th September, is there enough time for me to prepare? Time is not a concern for me, my main goal would be to finish - hopefully running the whole thing - even if it does become a shuffle not much more than walking!

I use the Coach section of the Nike Running app which has a decent training plan that I think I can follow but just wondered if anyone else had ever been in the same boat and either surprised themselves on marathon day or ended up in a world of pain ; )

All advice gratefully received.

Fee

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Just about time to fit in a full 16 week training plan, you won't break any records, but if you can do 10 now, no reason you cannot complete a marathon in 4 months time.

Get on with your plan, and don't skip runs unless you have a good reason. It's habit forming, so get in the habit of running and you should be fine. 

The long runs are key to helping you get around on the day, so prioritise them and ensure you get them in image 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Fee -- How much can you chew?  If you've been running for several years and can run ten miles now I'd have thought you should be able to finish a marathon in 16 weeks.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You should be fine. Especially if time is not a concern. Have a look at some Hal Higdon novice plans and they should point you in the right direction.
  • Great - thanks guys! Feel more confident now. Think it's just a case of being disciplined with training and being as prepared as possible.