Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Morning,

Ecky-That is a great picture...what races are you lined up for? 

53 miles....not sure I can cope with that....lined up a 38 mile race in October - I suspect there will be some walking involved.

MC- Well done on all of your activities. Your suggestion may be an option!!

Lainey-Well done on your PB.

Franny-I hope you are preparing good weather for my visit to Edinburgh?

Did 6.7 miles yesterday and 6.6 this morning....just had a sports massage to soothe my aching old body!!!

• evening all

great swim last night, and a 4 mile run this morning

tiring day at work though image 

and every time I walk into my house the 13 year old is playing COD and I can't stand the amount of noise and wish he would do something better with his time

rant over image

• Lube up Ecky love, lube up!

MC-my 10 year old is into minecraft, so we have that lots and he's taken to watching videos on you tube too!  At least he swims, cycles and runs a bit so don't mind him playing it.

Been trying to do interval training once a week.  Am sure it's been helping reducing my parkrun PB.  Is tough but bizarrely I enjoy it!

Boss-hope you enjoyed your massage.  You are a mileage machine!

• Lainey - yeah, my boys spend ages watching you tube videos of other people playing games/minecraft too....

• Morning all!

Well done on your training guys!

AF - oooo! Nice massage! never had one but could do with one at the moment.

Ecky - Wow! Great costume!

MC - What's COD?

Lainey - Well done on your parkrun PB!  Apart from lego my boys like minecraft and all of them like hayday. But no I don't mind either as they swim a lot and play their instruments.

Hi Franny, DJ, Nandy, Chili, Loula and all!

Just taken boys swimming training and daughter to the dentist.  No school for them today as it is national exams for year 8 (before they go to lise) and all the other grades have the day off.  I have no lessons but have to go to school this afternoon for a seminar and did the same yesterday.

Have had a terriffic bachache so no training since Saturday...image Begining to ease up, Don't know what I did but was a shame as I could have run having had some time off school for the exams.

Anyway, daughter is swimming in Sakarya this weekend and hubby and I have decided to go and stay in a hotel and watch for a change.image S-i-l will look after the boys.

Gonna have a creamy coffee before workimage and one of daughter's cup cakes if anyone wants to partake?

• ooh Jude - enjoy watching your daughter, hope you have a lovely weekend

COD is Call Of Duty - a shooting video game on playstation 

• Morning,

Jude-Hope that back is feeling better. Sounds like you are going to have a great weekend.

MC/Lainey- These games so do my head in!! My step son is totally obsessed by them and those monotonous you tube videos!!! Then he wonders why he is overweight!!!

Lainey-Well done with interval training - I am afraid I have no patience with speed work!!

Hope everyone is ok?

7.1 miles yesterday + boot camp. Have bought my running kit to work so hoping to do a late afternoon run along the coast before I go home as it is a nice day.

• Did a very slow 5k.  Ran with a couple of friends.  One has been ill and so this was real therapy for her.  She really enjoyed it and think it's given her a real boost.

Save me a cake, Jude!  Hope the back is better.

• Well done on all the training folks

Jude Hope your backache improves

AF...Boss...you are speedy as it is with out interval training image I am saving up all the sunshine for your visit in a few weeks. So looking forward to meeting you image

Just the 7 miles for me this morning with 6 of those at HM race pace...did it on the treadmill though..just fitted in with what I had to do today.

• Evening everyone!

Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been a bit tough not being able to run, but I am thrilled to announce that this evening I managed to run 5k without stopping for the first time since January! image

Not sure that I have enough time to do base training before starting training for the marathon at the end of Aug, but I might ask if I can do the half instead. I've never run a half marathon before.

Anyway, I'm way behind on all the news so i will need to read back. But Jude I hope you have a wonderful weekend. It's very exciting that one day we will be able to say we know an Olympian! 

• Good to hear from you Chili image Going for the half marathon will ensure a PB....lol  so I'd say go for that an djist build up your mileage gradually xxx Take care

• Great stuff Chili, really pleased for you image

• Afternoon

Quiet on here

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

14.11 mile run for me today minus Chico image as had to keep an even pacing and that's hard to do with doggy in tow......so home from run and straight out a walk to the park via the river so as he could have a wee swim image

Hope everyone is well and have a good weekend.

• Franny- Very impressive days work!!

Chilli-Well done and good to here you are on the road to recovery.

3.4 speedy run yesterday and 6.7 this morning so have run everyday this week.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

hi everyone

sorry I have been missing a few days, just too busy with work really

chili - great news image so glad you are getting your fitness back. Go for the half marathon, less stress and you have plenty of time to build up to that

franny - well done on your run 

great weather here today, both kids are off at scout camps in different places, so it was hard work getting them packed up and delivered but now we have a bit of quiet time image 

I have had two swims today - masters session then my first ow swim in a lake - the water was surprisingly warm and I had a great time

• Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. image

Nice running Franny

AF - Am very impressed that you are so fit you can run every day!

MC - two swims! And open water image. well done.

Spent yesterday eve cycling 22miles with my daughter and a friend. Had to stop half way for a bag of chips to keep my girl going.

This morning was parkrun and I managed 31:30 which seems very slow but it actually the quickest I've been this year, so I am definitely on the mend.

We have finally had our bathroom done, but the workman has let us down and not come back do the painting and floor. So I spent the day sealing the new plaster and painting the ceiling.

morning everyone

out mountain biking today with OH

chili - well done on the parkrun, I would be happy with that time image

• Hi everyone.Good to see we are all enjoying our running at the moment,especially those that have been poorly or injured.It is quite rare for us all to be in running mode at the same time.

I managed to get all my targeted runs done last week,and I enjoyed them too.I am starting to enjoy running again and I no longer approach my runs as a chore which I was doing earlier this year.I think the nice weather helps,and not having any pain.

I'm still plodding,but I'm slowly upping the distance on each run by a small amount.At the moment I am not worrying about pace at all.I need stamina and endurance first.As soon as I have run 3 runs of over 5k,I will start going to Parkrun to help keep me motivated.

Well done on that Parkrun Chili.

hi all

DJ - good to hear from you and that you are runningimage Just keep building slowly and you will get there. I am still run/walking but it is enabling me to keep going and enjoy it which is the main thing

double bike today - Mountain biking all day with OH and then a quick spin out on my road bike. 

• Fab parkrun time Chilli, I would love that time.  I was 3 secs outside my pb on Saturday, so was pleased but absolutely chuffed for my friend who ran the fastest she had done for ages as we ran together.

MC very busy, building up all that fitness will pay dividends.

DJ glad you are enjoying your running.

• Hi all!

Well done on all your runs, swims etc. I don't know how you fit it all in, it's making me feel very lazy!!

Had a lovely weekend away in a pretty city called Sakarya with hubby and watching daughter swim.  She did well but was racing with the older age group again so no medals this time although she got 2 PBs..

I haven't run or swam for over a week now and still have some back pain but hoping to go to the fitness room tomorrow for a very gentle workout. I'm at school now and trying to sit as straight as possibleimage

Have a good day everybody!

morning all

Jude - hope your book is ok. Well done to your daughter, swimming against an older age group will be really pushing her! 

having some breakfast then I am off on the bike again for a bit before going to pick up the kids

• Hi everyone,

Jude, I hope you're back isn't too sore.Good luck with the gentle workout tomorrow.You're daughter is really doing well with her swimming.

Enjoy your bike ride MC.

I'm doing some college work today.My next run will be on Wednesday evening,then again on Saturday morning.I'm just doing 2 runs a week for this month,then aiming to up it to 3 a week next month.On each run I'm aiming to run a little further,but keeping the increases small so I don't overstreach my limits and get injured again.

Enjoy the rest of the Bank Hols.

• Evening,

Nice bank holiday run this morning of 7.3 miles, rested yesterday after running 7 days in a row.

DJ-Good to here your running mojo is back.

Chilli-Well done on your park run,

Hi Lainey,MC,Franny,Jude etc

• Evening everyone

Jude - Well done to your daughter! And I hope your back heals soon.

We have had quite a day. Five years ago Big Girl, No2 daughter and myself ran our first ever race at Radlett Rotary Fun Run on May Day Bank Holiday. The following year we returned with all of my daughters running plus a few teens from the church. It has grown each year. Today I had a team of 20! image The youngest was 3yrs and ran the kids race of 1.5k. The oldest was 75yrs and walked the 5k.

Over the years my Big Girl has won the kids race twice. This year she was too old for the kids race so ran the 5k and was the fastest under 12yrs imageimage So she got a trophy and we all went for ice-cream to celebrate. She also managed a PB of 11 secs to complete the time in 25:11.

Was a great morning

chili - wow, well done to your team, specially your daughter - that is a speedy time!

• Good morning all!

Chili - what a star! Well done to your daughter and to all the team.  Sounds like a lovely day.

AF - well done on your bank holiday run.  I'd forgotten it was bank holiday there.

DJ - sounds like you are being very sensible. Hope you get your run in today. 

MC - sounds like lots of biking while your boys were away. Hope they had a good time.

Well, it seems my back is back to normal, fingers crossed. Good work out at the gym yesterday and swimming tonight.  Gonna time myself doing an 800m to see if I can swim it twice as slow as daughter, lol.image

Have a good day all. x

• Hi Guys, i've just joined the forum and read through the last few posts so forgive me if I repeat everything. It's great to hear all your success stories, really inspiring.

Just to give you a bit of background i've tried running many times over the last couple of years and could never manage to keep it up for more than a couple if weeks. I was doing a programme of running / walking but I could never really get past the first 1 minute run / 1 minute walk intervals. Anyway since then i've gone down from 16 and a half stone to 14 stone. The least i've weighed since I was about 14 (I'm 20 now). To my suprise when I started running again I could keep it up for a while and I have recently managed to run around 4K. Where I live there's hills in every direction so it's hard to know how I would do on flat as the runs I tend to do at the moment are 2K up hill at which point I feel like I can go no further then I turn aroud and by the time i've done the 2K back downhill I feel almost fully rested. My plan is to run three times a week. Two of them being local 3/4K runs and then travelling a little further to try a 5k where it's flatter. I'm just about to sign myself up for my first 5K in 5 weeks time so hopefully I will be in a position to do that by then!

• Welcome Tom! It's great to have you join us. image And it sounds like you are doing really well. Running 3 times a week is an excellent aim. It will quickly gain you fitness whilst giving enough rest days to avoid injury. If you want a bit of person-to-person encouragement see if there is a park run near you. It's an excellent place to meet other runners and there are folk there of all abilities. http://www.parkrun.org.uk

Went to see an Osteopath this morning. Over the past 5yrs I have at various times had back pain and had to drastically reduce my mileage. I found out last month that the MRI scan I had last year shows a damaged disc right at the base of my spine. It's not serious enough to have an operation or anything, but I need 'crunching' and massage to keep going. He did warn me this morning that in time I'm am probably not going to be able to do marathons cos the compression of running and wear and tear will be too much image

So I'm wondering how 'sensible' I should be. I have a family history of quite bad arthritis. But I have always said to my hubby that I love running so much that I want to make the most of it whilst I can and will reduce it later in life when I need to. However, I now realise that my goals have changed. My girls love running too and I want to be able to run with them for many years. So I wonder if I need to be more careful and do less mileage now so I can continue with them.... am rethinking my 'fitness' life...

• Afternoon

Just typed along post then lost it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh so this will be the shortened version.

A big welcome to Tom. As aChili says you are doing great getting out running x3 weekly. The hills will get easier image Good that you have hills as they are good for your training and will make you a powerfull runner if you stick at it.

Chili Sorry to hear your news but sounds like you would be best to lower your mileage so as you can continue with your enjoyment of running for more years. AND WOW fabby time for your girl at the 5k.

Jude Pleased your back has improved.

AF well done on your 7 day runs Not long now until you come up to Edinburgh and we get to meet for a run image

7.3 miles for me today with x5 mile repeats thrown in.

My race number arrived yesterday image 2  weeks on Sunday. imageimage

Going out for 11 tomorrow with Chico..so wont be a fast one...lol

Hope everyone is having a good day