Sunday 4th May 2014

Morning

Todays lyrics: 'Oh, its a long time since I saw you.'

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Smooth Operator' by Sade. A cracking singer and song.

Off out with Geordie

Back later

Comments

• Morning birks - you've saved the thread from my lyrics again. How times have changed image

Hope you can sort it out so that you can race Alehouse.

mava's racing today isn't she? Hope you have a good one. Anyone else?

What:             LSR
    Why:              it's Sunday
    Last hard:      13/4
    Last rest:       12/4

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

LMH; No probs I start the thread if I'm first up.

don: All the best today.

mava: same to you and any other racing.

Foggy start to the day here

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    what: day 2 of my 3 day bije race.

why: I like pain

last hard: yesterday

last rest: Friday 28th March

lyrics: No
  • Morning Gobi: All the best for your racing

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all
    Gobi - race well, you too mava?
    what - 7 or 8 easy 
    why - I have time
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - yesterday
    lyric - not obvious for now

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Cheers birkmyre, race starts at 1 so still have to attend school church this morning before heading down to the start.  Nice to have a race that passes the house - might even get support from the kids!  And a lot of my students are marshalling so I shouldn't be short of support.....or abuse! lol

Lyrics, not today.

Good luck to any other racers today. image

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Rest day for me.. I am pooped

Good luck to all the runners!! 

• Have a good one Donaldo.

Stay safe Gobi.

Lovely morning here and 20 miles run.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Go well Don and hope you have gone well Mava!

What: Northern Vets 5k. Off road. Very low key as the better runners opted for the 10k run in conjunction. Second in race and first M60. 22.01. Won by an M40 by about 50 seconds. Just not used to running fast! Stomach! Breathing!

Why: there were a few points both before and during that I asked this! Reasonably pleased after, but didn't feel I ran my best race. Not sure that I warmed up enough (only 1.5k). Glad I didn't take the 10k option.

Lyrics: no

Nice 20 LMH!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Ale, good running

LMH good 20 in the bag

Time was of the essence this morning, so only managed 14.31m in 2:07:30, with some rather big hills to slow me down (thankfully)

Rather sacred of White Peak Marathon in 2 weeks as this is the most unprepared I have been for a marathon... I have removed all time targets with the only target to finish it.... it could be messy and painful

Take care

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, So I have some questions regarding the triathlon.

1.) I have sent them 2 emails now about the faster swim time, I have had nothing back. Should I tell them at the start of the day as well. I don't want to get stuck behind them.

2.) Will I get really cold on the bike? Should i take a t-shirt to put on .. I want to be quick in the Transitions but have been told you can get really cold.

3.) Any other tips???

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Alehouse - Well done on your race
    Don/Mava/Gobi - Hope races went well/are going well
    RFJ/LMH/Dustin - Some good sessions there!

What: 400m swim (first in over a year)
    Why: I used to do triathlons and would like to again one day!
    Last hard: That swim was harder than any of my runs this week
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: No

Ugh, that swim was horrendous...more practice needed, which isn't a bad thing.

Dibs - 1) Is it a pool swim? If so, my only pool-based tri had 2 per lane in each wave so there was plenty of room. Depends how they organise it really. Tell them in the morning and see what they say but I expect it will be fine either way. I'm sure organisers are used to people under/overestimating their predictions!!
    2) Up to you...In my opinion it's all about comfort. I put a cycle top on in my first but didn't bother in any others. All I will say is that putting dry clothes on a wet body isn't always the easiest!! You will dry quicker than you think on the bike, which helps with the cold.
    3) Relax and enjoy it! Don't get hung up on super quick transitions or anything like that. They are things that will improve when you do your next one! The only other thing I can usefully offer (there are people on here with far more experience than me) is lay out your gear in transition in the order you wish to put them on, so you aren't searching for things. I also put my cycle helmet on the seat of my bike to make sure that I didn't unrack before putting helmet on. Oh, and enjoy it (again!)

Hope that helps a bit! Well done if you read this far!

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Good running Ale,  LMH don't think I'll see a 20 again for a long time..in awe you can do one so soon...sub 90 a cert methinks!

Lyrics: Nope
    What: Horrible 5 miler using somebody else's heavy, slow, lethargic legs
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: Friday
    Seem to be resting too much due to hyperactive social life just now...just can't get the balance right!
    off to teach tkd and must find my martial art's mojo before I get to the dojang. Give me a shout if you see it first!

• Well done on the win Alehouse.

Dibs - have you had a start time yet? If not the organisers may just respond by setting you off later than they would have done had you not updated them with your swim time. I wouldn't usually put anything on between bike and swim - assuming you're swimming in a tri suit? I swam in a bra for my first and did put a cycle top on over that. Alex's advice about transition is spot on. When you rack your bike and set up think carefully about the order in which you'll want to put stuff on - whilst you don't want to unrack your bike before you've put your helmet on you also don' want to be trying to put a top on over your cycle helmet - I've seen it done.

Thanks SC. I'm flying at the minute, shame I'm committed to this tri.

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Hi Alex, thanks for the advice! 

Yea, it's a 50m pool that's huge so hopefully there wont be too many people in a lane. If I don't get word back I will defo tell them on the day and see what they do.

I think I will go in just the tri suit, i expect that I will be cycling my bum off so should warm up. Just got worried that I would get really cold.

I am really excited! I haven't had this much good/injury free training for a sport in my life! so I am super ready to put in everything on the day. I hope I can just keep the nerves under control to go out in a controlled way and do myself justice.

The only real thing worrying me, is the bike pedal baskets. I hate them! hard to get into, hard to get out of and generally horrible things.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

alehouse, nice going, that 'race' feeling is something else, isn't it?  No pain, no gain, I try to tell myself when I'm suffering!  Well done on your run.

I had a good run today, finishing 8th overall.  I had a slight watch malfunction so don't know my exact time but it was around 47:30, which brought me in 2 minutes ahead of my time from 2011, which I was delighted with back then.  It's a hilly course so was happy to stay within 4 mins per km.  The race was fairly lonely - I went past someone at 2.5 miles and couldn't catch anyone else while no-one caught me after that either, so it made for an internal battle to just keep pushing on. image

Scottish 5K champs on Wednesday now - hoping the legs have recovered by then! image

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Just saw your LMH, yea I will be in a tri suit. Thanks for the advice as well! I will have to work out how I want to set stuff up. I have a race belt to for my number.

I have had no start time yet, I think I get that on the day.

How exciting!

• Well done Donaldo.

Dibs - take them off, shouldn't be too had.

• Just back from Kayaking (Westray).

Good 10 nm up east side on Saturday
    Weather turned on today so were unable to do planned route down the dramatic cliffs on west side. Just headed a couple of mile out towards Noup Head, decided discretion was better part of valour and turned back. The right decision.
    4 mile walk this afternoon before ferry back.

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Alehouse - great 5k - yes the stomach does feel it when we haven't pushed ourselves for a while.

This is Saturday's What: Rotorura Marathon.

Why: 16th Rotorua finish for me, first for my daughter.

Great conditions - nice cool temps to start, did get a little hot in places later on in the day, but overall - couldn't fault it. Great for supporters too.

Couldn't get into the spot I wanted to at the start so it was a very slow start, but meant I was always moving forward - not too many going past me. I ran pretty even splits and came home with a chip time of 4.05.26 - gun time 4.07.44. 

I was 6th W60 out of 70 W60 finishers.

My daughter finished her first marathon too, so we were all pretty happy.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

NZC: yes, I saw the result and thought you would be at least reasonably pleased, and pleased for your girl too!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

alehouse - yes I was relieved, and pleased that we both did enough to get us to the finish, and not too much that we would have got injured trying to achieve that!

I loosely followed a Hal Higdon 8 week program that was for Seniors - designed for experienced runners who want to keep their mileage quite low - there was only one 20 miler. So I think I got away with it pretty lightly.

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Well done NZC - Great effort by both of you!
    You too Donaldo - sounds like a good race!

Looking forward to an extra day off work tomorrow!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Missed your post, Don: well done. Pain is temporary, pride is permanent.

• Great running NZC!

What: not sure, want to squeeze an extra session in, will see if I have time
    Why: trying to get back into it.

Dibs: Extra towel in transition to stand on while you sort yourself out, that way by the time you come to put your shoes on your feet will be almost dry. As LMH said, you won't get a fast transition if you try and put an extra top on in transition, if you do a zip up top is the easiest option. Don't rush transition and make mistakes, they will come back to bite you, make sure you are comfy, no underwear riding up, nothing likely to rub, shoes on right if you're starting with your shoes on the floor not on the bike...

Ale:Good running