Tuesday 6th May 2014

Morning.

Lyrics - When I'm with you baby

Lots of rain here overnight meaning that my planned long bike isn't going to happen - at least not unless/until the roads dry out significantly which is a shame as the forecast is good. Will see what it's like by the time I've walked Grace and if not I shall have to adjust.

What:               unsure
Why:                rain may stop play
Last hard:        13/4
Last rest:         12/4

Yesterday's lyrics were The Things That Dreams Are Made Of by Human League.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning LMH.

Had lyrics ready for this morning, but you beat me to it!

What: something gentle at lunch time
    Why: haven't done anything since marathon
    Last hard: marathon!
    Last rest: ever since...
    Lyrics: possibly

Alehouse sorry to hear about your Mum.
    Mava I completely sympathise with you on the heat front!  Well done for keeping going and getting so close to your goal time.
    LMH hope the weather improves for your run
    Dibs hope the back is feeling better.  When is the tri?

Did 1.5 hours of gardening yesterday and doesn't look any different!  Our neighbours say they go down every day, but they are retired and so have the time.  Hopefully it is getting there, just slowly!  As long as we can weed faster than they can grow back!

Have a good one all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I had lyrics today too and actually logged on before leaving work only to be greeted by 'installing update 1 of 12' , typical!
    Ale - hope mummy is feeling OK today
    Emz- too true with gardening: 5 hours Saturday and 2 more on Sunday and Ok there may be less weeds and overhanging branches, but doesn't look that much different either!
    lyric - yes indeed
    what - club night and hopefully the legs will take some intervals
    why - back in the groove
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - Saturday

• What: lots of miles mostly powered by aviation fuel
    Why: Sea Survival Training in Poole
    last Hard: Sunday against the wind
    Last rest: Friday

Lyrics no

Microsoft often forces a reboot of my work PC after "essential update" at 1pm so that when I come to my PC for afternoon surgery, everything needs to be restartedimage

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Morning all!

What: 1hr pool swim followed by a small run is the plan

Why: Emz :triatlon in 2 weeks and I'm going to throw myself at it!

Cape Town in less than 3 weeks! 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What: 11miles d&d

5km TT against work colleagues lunchtime (not wise after my weekend )

hour easy spin on the bike PM

Why: I am a sadist

Last hard: Last 3 days

Last rest: Friday 28th March

Lyrics: possibly

I will seriously regret what will happen in the next hour but I shall still be laughing
  • Morning

Warm and sunny here now

Today is the 60th Anniversary of the first sub four minute mile by Sir Roger Bannister.

Some footage of this race and historic moment below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27290371

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

3.1 km done. Legs felt like lead!  Thought I was running fast, then looked at my watch and was running at 7 min/km!  Not sure whether it's post marathon fatigue or what!

Hope the time trial went well Gobi.

Dibs that's why I was confused!  Couldn't work out where the tri would go before Cape Town!

I hope you're not eating the aviation fuel OH image you won't get very far...

• Afternoon all,

Check you're windows update settings.  You can change them so updates are downloaded automaticaly but not installed.  You can then install at your conveniance.

• What:  4ish
    • Why:  resisting terminal decline
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  Yesterday.  Experimenting with giving the old bones more rest days interspersed with the jogging raher than grinding out day after day then loosing the will to live

Have a good one

• AF Unfortunately set as part of Group Policy which I don't have permission to change image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL Emzap - no I suffered within 2kms but all good fun :??)
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Bit of  trouble  off and on with internet

What: 1 mile
    Why For Roger
    Last Hard:Today
    Lyrics: No

• But did you win Gobi? image

Which tri are you doing Dibs? I've never known them not to give you a  start time in advance.

By the time I'd walked Grace and baked a cake the roads were drying nicely and the day brightening so another five hours on the bike for me.

• OH:  your group policy administrator shoulld be configuring the system to suit you not making you work around the system. I'm available at reasonable rates image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Back from the East Midlands. Despite her neck brace and bruises mum is moving quite well, and eating everything put in front of her. She has little idea where she is, however. Had a long chat with the spinal surgeon who has no concerns about her injuries, but is concerned about mum's ability to look after herself: he said that whilst I am down there the occupational therapists will imagine she needs a relatively low level of care; if I am 100 miles away, and my brother is further, then they will have to come up with a more realistic package for when she is discharged, whenever that might be.

What: will be 6k or more gentle off road. Would love to do a mile of it hard, or even 4 minutes hard and see how far I can run, but I won't.
    Why: sanity/too hard.

Lyrics: no

AF: it has taken me over a year of mainly short, easy, running before I have even thought of running "quickly". You will understand the inverted commas.

Hello Pammie!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

Hi all.

What: 5.5 miles including a slog up a 1.5 mile long hill. 
    Why: I must get better at hills
    Last hard:  a 1.5 mile hill
    Last rest: ???

I do hill sessions and while they  may improve my speed up short inclines, there's no getting round the fact that the way to get better at running up hills is to run up hills.  So I will try to do this route at least once a week, if not more.

My PC decided today that there were two copies of my antivirus installed.  It was becoming increasingly pushy about it.  A reboot seems to have resolved things.

• AF indeed! However, I suspect NHS rates are below your reasonable rates. Was better when I had complete control of it.

Waves to Alehouse and HM. Glad your mum has suffered no serious harm from her tumble.
  • Glad to hear that things aren't as bad as the might have been Alehouse. I'm guessing from what you've said that mum wants to remain at home?

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Evening all, Bit of a late update for me.

1 hour swim, was quite tired. Did a 400 split in 8:10 though, so clearly not too sluggish!

Emz- Yea, tight dates for me.. 18th is the triathlon. 21st is that resit exam and 24th is Cape Town! The uni have basically said this was all a formality.. but they still chose to punish me with missing half of my holiday.

LMH- They emailed me back today, saying they will change where I start. We have all been told to rock up at 7:30 am.. what wave I start in is still unknown to me. I am doing the bath sprint tri. Seems to be small.

I am off for TV and bed.. exhausted today.

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭
    Just a brief pop-in from me...

Sorry to hear about your mum Alehouse. Hope all works out for you all.

Rest day for me today. Just as well as work has been manic!

Good training everyone!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Easy day today.  Just 3.5 miles inc a few fast bits, mostly on grass. image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: 6.52k off road
    Why: I wanted to! Felt quite good and picked it up a little from 3 to 5k, then throttled back. So the run was very slow, slow, very slow.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.