Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - good to hear you're settling in again.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• I had a summer series 5k last night, the first of a series of 7, so getting the eye in as much as anything else. This one is a fast downhill start, then a flat section but then the pull uphill back to the start. Splits came out at 5:42, 5:52 and 6:19 with the bits at 5:07 pace.

Time came out as 18:24 so over the last couple of weeks by 5k time has gone 19:19, 18:43 and 18:24 so definitely in the right direction and a sub-18 should be on the cards if the gods smile. They didn't yesterday: clear all day and then 5 minutes before the start the heavens opened and dropped.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PMJ - That's a great 5k with fantastic improvement recently. You'll be back to sub 18 by the summer

6 easy miles in 8 m/m pace this morning which got easier as it went on. My left thigh abductor is a bit tight but loosen up by the end of the run.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMT-nice 5k time.

Badbark- an easy run whatever next image

6 easy 9 min miles for me last night .

• Big chunk off you 10k PB Lorenzo - very fast!

Happy belated birthday Gul - great 20 miler there. You are in fine form at the moment. Hoping that translate to a mega mara time! Curry the night before it is then!

Wow Badbark - brilliant Ultra win. A tough distance and terrain! Like the triple finishimage And how on earth did you pull 3.10 out the bag 2 days later - big respect for that.

Great time in the Keswick half 00 - a hilly course I guess?

GM - I always wonder at why laces are sooo long in the first place?

Nice bit of track work Jools - Always tough when you have to do multi events in one day. I used to have to do the long jump, 100m B string and the 4 x 100m relay and on one occasion the high hurdles for the points!

Awesome 10k PB Moof!!

And good 5k time PMJ - the speed is coming back.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Well done on a fine return to speed form with that 5k! Would be great to go sub 18 again. What WAVA would that give you?

BB - I am normally in bits after a standard marathon, well for at least 3 days, just goes to show how well your body has adapted to the long distances.

MsE/Lorenzo - Must be nice to catch up in person and enjoy a run together.

KR - Hey, are you training for anything at the mo or having a break? Re the laces, it was my own stupidity as I have said to myself so many times I must change or crop these and never did.image

Gul - What's the countdown to your big race now?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well done PMJ - all heading nicely in the right direction.

BB - you obviously weren't trying hard enough image

7 for me last night, another 5 at lunchtime today. Will attempt something a little quicker tomorrow.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    moof wrote (see)

I'm pretty sure Also-ran won the V40 prize last year, so that would be something to aim for. 

I do remember Newbury last year, having a sprint finish with a young whipper snapper, and having a V50 effortlessly pass us both. Then a big chunk of plastic coming through my door a few weeks later. Oh happy days!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Cracking run PMJ- I'm hoping to get closer to 18 at ther parkrun next couple of weeks.

An effortless V50 AR- yes they pop up all over the place image 

• I'm 48 and 18 dead is WAVA 80.6%. We'll see on Sunday, 5 miler and 30 dead is 6 minute pace and 80%.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - cracking 5k time - on the up!
    GM - 3 weeks on Saturday - nearly taper time!
    Rubbish session this morning. 3 mile warm-up, then 7 tempo miles. Only just managed to hit MP, so about 30s / mile down on what it should have been. Legs did finally decide to wake up in mile 9 and I dip below 7m/m to get 6:xx for the last 2 tempo miles. 1 mile warm-down. Not sure if my legs are still recovering from last Saturday's long run? Oh well. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Gul: don't worry, my mile reps yesterday morning (supposed to be 10k or HM pace) didn't ever get that much faster than marathon pace - weather was vile (wet and windy), but sometimes the legs just aren't in the mood and you have to shrug and move on!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- cant be fast everyday your going well soon be taper for us bothimage

Joolska-wind slows us all down and never seems to be blowing he right way.

8 miles last night and 7 of them at mara pace , first decent session in a while.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

After 2 days rest from Keswick it was catch-up y/day with 2 sessions. 4 miles at lunch (quick) the 6 plod miles in the evening. Weather in Geneva is fantastic image 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - as others have said, just one sub-optimal run in a campaign full of strong sessions. Just one of those days; onwards and upwards.

Jools - sounds like grim conditions, so good just to be out there in the first place.

Leslie - feeling fit ahead of your mara? And you're right about the wind; even on a circular loop, it always seems to be in your face!

OO-51 - weather in the UK is vile! Nice double from you in the Swiss sun.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Gosh that is close now. I am amazed at how often you nail your sessions down to the letter, so one out of about 100 aint bad!image

5k jog for me on lunch in the sunshine but into a force 6 wind. Quite unpleasant with sand blowing in my eyes and having to work at such a sedentary pace. Then last night met up with a friend of mine who is coming back to running after an injury and we did 5k at 6:35 pace. Was a good run but a bit too quick for my mate who faded badly in the last k or so.

PMJ - Those targets for the 5k and 5 miles seem to be well within range for you. For roughly the same WAVA I would need to run about 17 flat for 5k and 28:30 for 5 miles, shouldn't be too difficult!image

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - Those targets for the 5k and 5 miles seem to be well within range for you. For roughly the same WAVA I would need to run about 17 flat for 5k and 28:30 for 5 miles, shouldn't be too difficult!image

Ah, to be young again! I used to do 5 miles in under 27:30 and that put such a smile on my face. At that pace it is 5:30 (actually 5:2x) and I reckoned that was close to 5 minute pace than 6 minute pace.

WAVA for me is a pat on the back, I was much faster when I was younger but at least with WAVA I can chase equivalent times and that gives me something to spur myself on.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well I am 40 so not really classed as young anymore, more like a fake Vet. For me to get anywhere near those sort of times I would need to shift about 10kgs and train like a demon. The second bit seems realistic, the 1st less likely, unless I give up wine and carbs.

• Still a good session Gul. My guess is any 20 miler takes a few days to recover from especially one with 10 at MP. So I wouldn't get too hung up on times. Remember all the other runs bagged when needed.

GM - No A races planned, just summer League races and what ever else takes my fancy. It feels good not to have the pressure of anything playing on my mind.

PMJ - I think your target setting is a good motivation. I know quite a few runners who have come back to running after a break and disheartened about not being able to hit paces , but realistically never wil get back to how they were - Fact of life I guess. However the WAVA is a good benchmark to aim for.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Gul – 11 miles with 7 at MP on tired legs is still a great workout!

Leslie – Good MP session, see above!

OO-51 – Nice Geneva double

GM – Nipey 5k on a double day

PMJ – Good luck with your WAVA 80%+ goals

I took a complete rest day today. Shock horror.image

I got a mention on Marathon Talk this week at about 21:35 in the ‘rate your run’ section.image

• badbark, you are in this week's MT on rate your run, have not yet got to the podium but I guess you are there as well.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - give up wine & carbs? Pure madness, surely?

BB - go on then, when was your last rest day? Must have been something of a rarity for you in the last few months!

First attempt at something vaguely quicker today, with a 3 mile tempo stuck in the middle of a 6 miler. Really didn't know what to expect as I hadn't run faster than MP since about a week before London, and it felt like really hard work! Gratifying to see 20:15 on the Garmin at the end of the 3 mile section, so round about what I want HM pace to be in October, although feeling considerably easier than it did today!

• Haven't yet downloaded the MT podcast but extra reason to do so quickly now!!

Don't be disheartened Gul - there have been plenty more good runs than disappointing ones In the campaign so far.

I'm another one moaning about the wind, having cycled the 20+ miles back from work yesterday into a pretty consistent headwind. Much more hard work than the journey in, despite the inward journey being 6 mins quicker.

5.5 for me this morning with the 2-4 at MP effort and turned out to be around the 7mm pace.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers-me feeling fit? , nah I think I peaked about a month ago and its been downhill sinceimage

Get more of those threshold tempo's done and that 90 mins half mara will follow.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Gul - I am struggling with anything fast at the mo, I am also struggling with anything long tooimage.

Abbers - that's a great starting point for your target

Waiting for the rain to go to start a 12 miler with 4 or 5 at HMP effort - wont hit pace as its a bit lumpy

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie, Menn - thanks, felt more like 5 mile/10k effort though, so way too hard! Still, early days, and some 10k work coming up for a few weeks to hopefully sort the speed out a little. I tend to run weekly HM pace tempo sessions up to 6 miles in my HM build ups, but won't worry about the schedule specifics until later in the summer.

Hopefully the taper will help to freshen you up Leslie.

Lorenzo, running or cycling in the wind always feels like a battle. Cycling might be worse though?

Forecast for Saturday's first weekend of league action looking suitably dreadful. Good chance I won't be dressed in white come Saturday afternoon!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Gul you are hardcore.

GM I'm a carbs and wine man but I still weigh a fair bit less than when I was 20 with the same waist band (32 inches). i think that when you train like a demon, the weight loss will follow.

6 pacey miles for me today. Natrurally wine and carbs (Frey Bentos) for tea. image    

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

5K run this afternoon in the wind and rain with a steep hill and the legs felt a bit stiff after my piddly double yesterday, but the rhythm was there. I like it when it's like that, even when the rain is pouring down and the wind feels like your enemy but I felt strong and was glad to be running. Felt sorry for the walkers though and their owners !image

Wine and carb depletion is clearly not happening here as I enjoyed a nice Shiraz with Mexican chicken with paprika spuds and feta salad. Yum!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - I weighed about 70kg when I was 20, maybe less but tipping the scales at 82 now! Shocking!!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - I definitely must catch up with MT now!
    Abbers - nice turn of speed.
    Lorenzo - 20+ miles into a headwind is no joke - well done.
    Leslie - I feel like my campaign is starting to take its toll, but as Abbers said hopefully the taper will put some spring back in your steps.
    Mennania - hope the HMP run went OK.
    OO - For a while at school I was nicknamed Captain Fray Bentos!
    GM - great running.
    After yesterday's run I started hobbling around and felt like I had shin splints in my left leg. Probably just pre-taper madness, but I've had a few niggles lately, so rather than risk blowing it at this stage, I've decided to have a bit of a rest. So no run today, and maybe will give the long run (last 20+ miler) a miss tomorrow, but I'll see how I feel later.