Marathons

Hi, ive been running now for 6 months and have built up my mileage slowly but am now upto 36 miles per week and want to push onto 50-60 over the next few months. Ive got a few races coming up in the next few months including a half. Im planning to run a spring marathon next year but was wondering if I should run one in October to give me experience and use it purely as a training run. Would anyone be kind enough to share their thoughts on whether that would be a good idea or not. So far my longest run is 17 miles. Thanks.

Comments

• Easy tiger. I'd think going from 0 to 60 miles per week in what 8/9 months is a recipe for injury.

You're not far off marathon training distance now - if your long run is 17 miles you only need ease that up a bit.

You could definitely run a marathon in October and use it as a learning experience.

I'd just not ramp up the distances as high or as quickly as you are planning.

The key to improvement is consistency - getting the miles in week in and week out.

The key to consistency is not getting injured.

Good luck !
  • Thanks Cougie. Great advice. Sounds like I need to adjust my thinking a little!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good advice from Cougie.

Mileage wise I'd wait until you can consistently do 36-40 a week then after your October race slowly up that to 40-45 and see how you go from there.

It took me around 2.5 yrs to move from doing 40 per week to be able to consistently hit 60.
  • Cheers Millsy. So are you saying that when you tried to move up from 40 a week earlier than that your body couldnt handle it and you got injured?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    More or less yes, we are all different do will take different time scales to adapt.

In my case I know that I often suffer from ITB niggles If I try and do too much too soon. Sometimes you don't realise you are having issues until a few weeks after ramping up the mileage. By then it could be too late.
  • Ok mate understood. Thanks for the reply.
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Jimbok... you already know that the advice you've had is wise.  They're spot on.

Make sure you have a rest week now and again, with significantly reduced mileage.  Give your body time to adapt.

• Cant disagree with the advice from above, however I properly started running last August and within 8months I am up to running high 40's/50 miles per week as training for the marathon I did last week. 

For your autumn marathon this sounds like the right amount of mileage to do, peaking around 50. Then after your marathon up the mileage to 60 if you want image Best of luck

• Thanks guys. Much appreciated.