Options

Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Options

Big welcome to Tom.  Great to meet you.  This thread is a great place for inspiration and advice, and to blow off steam.

Chili, sorry to hear about your spine, what a conundrum.  I hope you can get a good balance between running and not doing yourself more damage.

Been doing quite a bit short stuff recently, which is nice after all the long runs for the marathon, but have a couple of 10k so need to start putting in the miles again.

Hope you are all well, AF, Franny, Jude, DeeJay, Tom, MC and anyone I have missed.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

welcome Tom - being able to run 2k uphill is pretty amazing! Weight makes a massive difference

Chili - maybe see what the chiropractor says - it might be that with plenty of strength work you can protect your back. I won't pretend to be an expert though. 

• Options

Morning all, hope you're all well.

Chilibean - Thanks for the link, it's nice to know there's a run every week in Leeds which isn't too far away from me. It's certainly better than having to wait for the local athletics club to host one! Sorry to hear about your back but i'm sure you've got many miles left yet image

FrannyT, Lainey, Mathschick - Nice to meet you all, thanks for your encouragement.

I went out for my first run in about a week today. I've been ill recently and my breathing isn't brilliant still so I settled for a short 2.5K to get back into things. Plus I thought it might give me an idea of what my first 5K time could be. I did it in 16:40 which i'm pleased at considering i'm still recovering because although I haven't  set a target for my first 5K i'd like to think it wouldn't be too far off 32 minutes. My weakness at the moment is pacing myself, I always set off too fast then slow down until i'm recovered and then finish quick. Does anyone have any tips for this? Maybe I should see if I feel comfortable running arout 6:45/km and work from there?

• Options

Tom well done on your run today. Sadly I still set off too fast in races even though I plan not to imageimage

I did my 11 and a bit miles with Chico 1st thing this morning image Was an interesting one. He tried to chase a pussycat, 2 squirrels and some ducks image

• Options

Hi everyone.And hello to Tom.You'll get loads of encouragement here.And cake of course.

Chili,your daughter is becoming a very talented runner.Hope your back isn't too trouble some.

Franny, Chico's antics made me chuckle.

I cried off my run on Wednesday evening,as I felt tired,but made sure I did it yesterday morning.I find it hard to run in the evening if I am home all day.It's easier to do it first thing before I have settled into my day.I had a good run and really enjoyed it,despite it raining.

I have a slight tightness in my right foot today.It should hopefully settle for me to go out tomorrow.

• Options

Afternoon,

Tom-Welcome to this thread. Sounds like you are making progress.I know where you came from as I was once 16 stone and managed to shed 5 stone and have kept it office for nearly 4 years. Running is a great way of keeping in shape and you will enjoy it the more and more youu do it. Theer are soem great people on this thread. 

Franny- I know it's not long now I am really looking forward to going up to Edinburgh and meeting up with you for a run. I am right in thinking you are doing the Edinburgh 1/2 on the Sunday before we meet? I have just entered a trail 1/2 that Sunday as well.But..will have no problems running on the tuesday.

DJ-Good to here from you. I much prefer running 1st thing. 

HI MC,Chilli,Lainey etc...

6.8 miles yesterday for me & 6.7 today.Going out with a few people from the club tonight for a curry to celebrate someones 50th...looking forward to it & childfree weekend!!!!  

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

afternoon all image

Tom - I am afraid I can't give you any advice either! 

DJ - I also find it better to get my run done first thing and often cry off if I leave it till the evening

• Options

Evening image

DJ I too like my run 1st thing image and glad I made you chuckle about Chico image He was attached to me at the time too.....so I call it the intervals chico style image

AF Yes I will be doing the Edinburgh Half. Ah that's good you are running on Sunday too. Should be no problem for me either image well done on your runs and ENJOY curry tonight and child free weekend.

Have a good evening and weekend everyone.

• Options

Evening everyone

AF - I hope one day we can meet and have a curry together. I know it is your favourite meal image

Sounds like good training Franny

Tom - If you are running alone and want to stay slow at the beginning then try having a conversation with yourself. You can't run too fast if you are talking out loud. Some people recite songs or poems or something muttering quietly so passersby don't think you are completely mad!

Ran my Smidgie to school whilst she cycled. But it poured with rain and the wind was horrendous so I came straight home rather than add on an extra mile or so. My back is aching it bit so was probably a good idea.

We have an exciting day tomorrow. The 4th stage of the women's cycling tour is starting in our town tomorrow. 3 girls from each of the secondary schools have been invited to provide a guard of honour procession for the first mile. My big girl is one of the few girls who cycles to her school so she has been asked! She is so excited about meeting Laura Trott image

http://www.womenstour.co.uk/stages/stage4/index.php#.U2uYF164klJ

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

wow, chili that is brill - just hope Laura Trott is there because she crashed today image hope she is ok

• Options

Chilli-That sounds greta. I hope the weather is better where you are than down in rainy Sussex. Yes, it would be great to meet up one day...when i meet Franny it will be the 1st time I have met anyone from this thread. Did a race than Spartak did once but i douldn't find him. Funnily enough I am doing a 1/2 in a couple of week sand Simon alias Rocker had entered so i conatced him via Facebook and he doesn't think he can do it now!!!  

Had a great curry with 10 people from the running club.Nice to be outnumbered by ladies!!!  

Probably do 30 minutes speedwork on the tradmill later and club run tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning

AF - how is rocker?? you always seem to be out for curry with the ladies!

bit tired this morning, but off to masters swimming as usual in a bit then hopefully ow swimming this afternoon image

• Options

Morning everyone.

I did my run this morning,and had another good one.I am really back on track and hoping I stay injury free,and build some momentum.

I love curries too.The hotter the better.

Chili that is a great honour for your daughter.Hope she has a good time.

I'm adding my running buddies as friends on Facebook,so if you see a friends request from David Jones, 'tis me.If I don't find you then feel free to come and find me.I may miss you as with some of you I only know your user names on here.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

DJ - I will pm you a link to my facebook, I have no chance of finding the right David Jones!!

• Options

Helloooooooooooooooo image

Glad you enjoyed the curry and the ladies company AF image

4 tempo miles for me this morning image

DJ....You will find me no problem on facebook image

Chili Enjoy the cycling tour.

Hello everyone else

• Options

Well I'm now Facebook friends with Loula.Ecky,Franny,MC and AF.I have also sent a request to Jude.If there are any FB users I have missed then let me know.I do use it daily,so it's the main way I keep up with my friends.

• Options

Nice to meet you DeeJay on FB image

• Options

MC - I see Rocker fairly regularly because he currently lives with his partner just 15mins away from us. He is doing really well. Into Ultra's and loving it. They are hoping to move to the Peak District this summer for a change of lifestyle and to spend more time on the trails.

We did see Laura but not at the start of the tour because all the cyclists were too busy and cordoned off from the spectators. However they have named the newly refurbished leisure centre after her at 9.15am. So we cycled there in the rain to begin with. We have several friends within the local councillors and they shepherded my girls forward to have their photos taken with her image

By the time the tour started at 11.30am the sun was shinning. My Big Girl was given a t-shirt and joined about 18 others to form the honour guard. It was a fun morning but lots of waiting around for a few mins of excitement.

I can't remember if I have mentioned it but my hubby is over in the states at the moment. Both of his brothers are dying of cancer. One only has days to live so he has flown over to say goodbye to them both. So I am extremely busy trying to juggle everything with my two jobs, 4 kids and cover some of hubby's job too!

But this evening I'm taking my Big Girl out for her birthday trip. We are going to see the Fiddler on the Roof musical at our local theatre.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Chili - so sorry to hear about your husband's brothers, how sad and what a difficult time for him (and you). hugs to you and your family

ok, I have sent friend requests on FB to everyone now I have found you all on DJ's list of friends!!

chili - sounds like a great morning for your big girl image Have a lovely time this evening and happy birthday to herimage

• Options

Chilli-That must be really tough for your hubby.So Rocker is hoping to move upto the Peak Districts in the summer.Funnily enough we are going up there for a week in August.Was hoping to find someone who knows the area to run with, ???? Pleased to hear your big girl had a good day & happy birthday to her????

MC-Would be good to link up with you on FB-But,don't know your name! You should be able to find me.Yes I do enjoy going out with the ladies & love curries.More medium than hot.

Franny-Well done on your tempo run.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

AF - my name is Kira - I have sent you a friend request - or I should have, I found you on DJ's list of friends

We are not far from the Peak District, but we are going to be in Switzerland for most of August. I would never be able to keep up with you anyway!! Whereabouts are you going? My granny (aged 100) still lives in Edale - she is in a home now though, but was living independently until a year or so ago, but I think felt vulnerable when she had a fall one day. I put her longevity down to lots of walks in the hills

• Options

MC-We are going to stay in Rowsley.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

had to look on a map AF, but near Matlock - nice area image

• Options

Gosh, just a few days since I was here last and I've missed so much. 

Tom - Welcome! Well done for getting out there and running, especially on those hills. Sounds like you are doing really well.

Chilli - so sorry to hear about hubby's brothers. Thinking of you all.

Hi to everybody else!

It's Mothers Day here in Turkey and kids were in a piano festival last night which was lovely and the best present I could have.image I was more nervous than them though as I'm their piano teacher....

Not much training to report. Went swimming on Friday and practised my tumble turns which absolutely exhausted me! Fitness room on Thursday and the trainer got me doing lots of stomach exercises (obviously thought I was looking rather flabby in that area lol.) Had a rest day yesterday and may get out today for a run although it's a bit wet out.

Anyway, have a good Sunday all! xx  

• Options

Chilli So sorry to hear about MR Chili's brothers. So sad for you all ((((((((hugs))))) and you are all in my thoughts.

JUDE Happy Mothers Day. Hope you are being spoiled. Erm You are so not flabby Jude I have seen pics image

MC What a lovely name you have. Must admit I was confused to who was sending me a request but once I saw your pic the penny dropped image

Another wee run for me this morning Only 3.22 miles but better than nothing. Going for  a long Chico walk very soon. we have just had the the most horrendous downpour though image Better take the waterproofs

Hello to everyone Have a happy Sunday and enjoy your runs,walks,cycles or whatever image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Jude - happy mother's day. 

franny - lol, I just looked to see who DJ was friends with, worked out who was from here and sent friend requests!

nothing for me today, not feeling as rubbishy as yesterday but decided it was better to do nothing, but filling in job applications while helping eldest with his homework is fraying my nerves a bit!! 3 hours I have been at it and I haven't got one application finished!!

I did get an email out of the blue via linkedin asking if I was interested in working at a school - there is £5K recruitment bonus which means they struggle to recruit so might not be a good idea! Doesn't hurt to let them ring me though so I have replied with my phone number

• Options

Hi everyone, thanks for all your support. Sorry I can't reply to you all i'm in a bit of a rush but it's nice to meet all of you that I haven't spoken to yet. I'm going to take all your advice and see how I get on pacing myself on my run today. I think I over did it at the gym yesterday though and i'm so achy. Hope I loosen up!

Hope you're all well. Happy running!

• Options

Hi everyone. I think I have manged to find you all on Facebook now,but if there is anyone I missed then this is the link to me

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003107629136

Chili,sorry to hear your hubbies brothers both being so ill.It must be awful for him.

Jude, I hope you are being spoilt on Mothers Day.

MC,good luck with your job hunting.

• Options

I'm friends with DeeJay on FB so will look you up guys!

Chilli, sorry about your husband's brothers.

Jude-happy mother's day.  Hope you had a good one.

Hi everyone else.

Did parkrun yesterday.  Oh my, it was tough.  ED paced me around to a PB, only 20secs faster than I had done previously but felt so much tougher!  Was in bits for the rest of the day.  Went out for a slow 5 miler today which was lovely.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done on your pb lainey!!