Sub 3h15

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Gul - decided to alternate HMP miles ie 1 wup, 1 easy but never started the second one as calf tightened up, gave it a massage and carried on but started to feel a limp so canned the run a couple of miles later than I should have and got me missus to pick me up. Am hobbling good n proper now.

I would struggle to give up booze totally, but carbs I can easily keep a lid on. am the same as I was when I was in my mid twenties at 78-82kg depending on how close to race day I am. All my current pants are too big and I rely on belts quite heavily.

• I'm about 66kg (actually 147 lbs, what is a kg anyway?). One of the good things about running is that for me it means I can eat and drink pretty much what I like. Garmin tells me that so far this year I have consumed 105,204 calories which is:

578 pints of beer or1,156 glasses of champagne or
    834 glasses of wine or
    102 pizza express Romana or
    79 slices of Adam’s Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Ripple Cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory

The last is my goto carbs in he US after a race, 1,326 calories per slice!

• Abbers - Good tempo run there. Sounds like you'll need to get some speed endurance work in over the summer. I found 5 x 2k reps worked well for me, although a tough work out. The idea was to get under 8 minutes for each rep. Didn't manage it to start with, but after a few weeks I got there. If you can do a weekly session like this for 6 - 8 weeks you'll notice a difference. It helped me get under 40 minutes for 10k for the first time, which in turn helped get under 90 minutes for a half. The relationship between 10k and half marathon are very close together.

Menn - make sure your calf gets rested for  while.

PMJ - I try and eat sensibly, but like you too can eat anything...

I think I must be one of the light ones on here. Usually weigh around 60 - 61 kg, but this comes down to about 58.5 - 59 in mara training. Since I have been running more marathons my waist size in trousers have come down to 28". I find it comical when I put on old jeans to do DIY and they are massive!

9.5 miles last night in 6.59 av pace. This was a hill rep session, so recovery in between reps and bombing it up the hills. I managed to find an uber incline which is 400m. You certainly know you have done it at the end. I find it makes other hills in races seem like nothing.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - What is a kg? Nevermind that, what's all this talk about lbs, very American. We were taught both imperial and metric conversions in school. So 147lbs or 10 and half stone in old money. Not only have you been gifted with the speed gene you got the slight frame gene too.image 

KR - 58-59, Je$u$, that is proper light and akin to an elite distance runner's racing weight. My old man who was a decent runner in his day & is the exact same height (5'9) as me and build and even when he was running 60-70 mile weeks he never dropped below 11st or approx 70kg and he was a lean speed machine. Good session there. Yeah I feel the same re not having any major pressure on at the mo re big races etc. Just trying keep to the fitness at a good level and retain some sharpness.

Gul - Hope it's just the tapir madness in your head.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Usually about 48kg. But I am very short. And don't own scales.
  • Gul - sounds like a sensible decision to me.

On the weight debate, I'm one of those mixed up people who measures their height in imperial (5' 11") and their weight in metric (68-70kg). According to most calculations, that's pretty much OK for a marathon runner so I'm happy.

All the running / cycling means I can pretty much eat what I like, so I'm even happier. 

Having said that May is a chocolate-free month (well, chocolates-free as I still treat myself to the occasional chocolate milkshake or bowl of Coco Pops) just to prove to myself that I can resist the temptation. So far, so good, so I'm now wondering what to give up for June.

Gentle commuting run today as tomorrow is going to be an official parkrun smack down between me and younger Lorenzito - I don't have the excuse of post-marathon recovery this time around.

Anxious parent moment today - elder Lorenzito passed his driving test so was able to go out on his tod. Other Surrey drivers have been alerted!!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - That's great news re elder Lorenzito, free taxi service for a while.image

Jools - You are a very light, when you say small may I ask how tall are you?

4 miles tonight along the south east coast in the sunshine and 25 mph wind!! Steady pace @ 7:06mm.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Mennania - hope you haven't done any damage.
    PMJ - loving the sound of that cheesecake!
    KR - beats my subway slopes any time.
    Lorenzo - my eldest daughter is just 16, so still have that particular anxiety to come.
    GM - good going in the wind.
    Had all sorts of pains in all areas of my left leg today and currently have a very tight lower calf - maybe it's just in my mind. 95% sure I won't risk it tomorrow. My wieght never seems to vary by much, having been somewhere around 11 stone (70kg?) for donkey's years. Being nearly 6'3" that makes me fairly skinny,

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Evening all.  Finally back in the UK with a decent internet connection.  I do like living remotely from civilisation in the bush, but it does have a downside too.

I have a read back of the last week or so.  Amazing result from Badbark.  Winning a race is the stuff of dreams for most people.

No running from me.  Peristitis is lingering I afraid.  Its just about OK now, but I should give it 2 weeks or so and then start the slow come back again.

I would get out on my bike, but my crank has gone, probably as a result of riding in the wet weather

Happy running all.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Suffering from a dodgy knee myself bike it, swelling at the back. Still parkrunning though. Keep your pecker up....

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I am contemplating a run out tomorrow. It will be the first run since VLM apart from a quickie mile on a treadmill. I'm tempted to plod round a parkrun (as it is not a race!). I may take the dogs to keep me in check.

my new pastime is doing girly skipping to start trying to get some strength back into my crumbling achilles. I recommend it if you don't mind looking like a prat.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Try nordic skipping AR equally prat looking...Good luck with the first outing, take care. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I mix my units, too. I'm 5'2".

Feeling a bit sorry for myself as first 10k of the year tomorrow and I seem to have a sore throat. Hope it goes away very, very quickly!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I 10k PB'd with a shocking sore throat and in driving rain Jools. You'll nail it!

I'm struggling a bit this week. Running, cycling, swimming are all going well but I'm being made to suffer for it afterwards with the hip aching in the night and keeping me awake. Starting to weigh on my mind that this might be my last season and that my crack at a sub3 in the autumn is completely unrealistic. image 

I'm starting to have dark thoughts about taking up a different hobby..... Golf anyone? (Shudders).

On the plus side, I have an action packed weekend with son #3's 18th today, the Fred Whitton ride (in the rain) tomorrow and with a fair wind and pushing myself to the limit I might be back in time to see my beloved City lift the title.  image

As you were.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Best wishes with the illnesses and injuries.

I've got golf clubs in the garage Slokey - I only like putting really and am awful at long shots.  Probably I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 holes though, but would have to do 72 or something like that.  I'm not sure how easy it is to play golf on a Sunday morning at 4am with a headtorch

• I adopted the US units for weight (147 lbs) as it seemed easier. The old stones thing makes 10 st 13 look a lot less than 11 st 1 and in US it is 173 and 175 lbs which look pretty close. Day off today, good news as the rain is awful. 5 miler tomorrow, Marlow 5.

• Well and truly beaten into second place in the Lorenzo household at this morning's Rushmoor (near Aldershot) parkrun.

No excuses for my rather feeble 19:20ish with younger Lorenzito close to a minute faster than me in getting second place overall and breaking the course record (bearing in mind it's only the second time they've done the Rushmoor parkrun) for 11-14 year olds. 

Bike It - I'm sure it's a piece of cake if you've got luminous balls. image

Hope all the sore throats and knees clear up and that Slokey's hip eases off a bit. Does it ache in the same way depending on whether you've been running, cycling or swimming.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Lorenzo junior fab run. Junior oo was 3rd lady but off her pb. I was a slouchy 18.43 and felt awful, good result considering.Hoping to run 15 tomorrow if the knee holds up. Good avatar Gul, King Fray....

Hope you feel better soon Jools

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Frey Bentos for tea? What's that?? You seem to have very little difficulty going sub 19 for these parkrun's even when you are feeling slouchy or sluggish!

Jools - Hope the 10k goes well and the throat thing is nothing.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul -hope its just taper madness hang in there a missed run now is fine.

Joolska- done be shite image

Lorrenzo- sounds like you need a new game plan to keep up now

Slokey- dont throw the towel in yet 

00-51-still a great time for a 5k.

6 miles last night at 8 min/miles and 10 this morn again at 8:20's..great way to prepare for tomorrows half Badbark style  image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

I adopted the US units for weight (147 lbs) as it seemed easier. The old stones thing makes 10 st 13 look a lot less than 11 st 1 and in US it is 173 and 175 lbs which look pretty close. Day off today, good news as the rain is awful. 5 miler tomorrow, Marlow 5.

I like that, that way of thinking is not too dissimilar to running times also. A 2:59 for a marathon is a lot better than a 3:00 and a 39min vs a 40min 10k and so on.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Not really sure about hitting balls with sticks slokey, Recently I've been using ultrasound on the achilles. It seems to do bugger all for healing, but does take away plenty of pain and stiffness. On which note. .......

.... An hour of massaging, zapping, stretch, rolling and I dragged myself to my second ever parkrun. I went to Reading which was perfect, plenty of soft ground and mud to ease back into running. I took things cautiously, and by a mile 1 was running with ease. It was great to get out for a short run out. Managed something under 20 mins.

Now I'm completely siezed up, but I have the tools to loosen things up for the next time. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well done to resident parkrunners; especially Lorenzito (sounds like there's some decent talent there) and good to see AR back at it.

Good luck to Jools & Leslie for tomorrow's races. Hopefully the sore throat won't come to anything significant.

Slokey - go well in the Fred Whitton. Hard enough in good conditions! Take it easy on slippery descents.

BI - welcome back image Sorry to hear you're still suffering though.

Gul - an early dose of taper madness?

As expected, the 1st league game of the season was duly cancelled today, so earning some extra brownie points on crowd control duty while Mrs A does some of her PGCE assignment work. Will be out running at some stage tomorrow. Height & weight? 6"1, round about 12st.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - it's hard to be patient.
    OO - hope the knee is OK. Bit confused about the avatar - it's been the same for years.
    AR - planning on doing some girly skipping myself after the marathon - it'll be time for some more drills!
    Jools - hope the sore throat has already gone - all the best for the 10k.
    SJ - good positivity.|
    PMJ - good luck in Marlow.
    Lorenzo - cracking parkrun from junior.
    Leslie - what's the plan for the HM? All the best.
    Abbers - yes, I think and hope so.
    The tightness has moved to the upper calf now. So tomorrow and Monday will probably be hamstring and quads. Not looking forward to Tuesdayimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul just suggesting your school nickname would make a good avatar, e.g. Gul Bentos

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Sorry, OO, I was a bit slow on the up-take there. Not a bad idea; I could probably use a different nickname for every month of the year!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Have you given any thought to a sports massage?

• OO-51 wrote (see)

Gul just suggesting your school nickname would make a good avatar, e.g. Gul Bentos

Does anyone on the thread know Gul's school nickname other than him and me? I was at school with him before people ask about my sources.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

I am thinking that you might know 2 or 3 of them, PMJ... That reminds me, I still haven't re-scanned that photo from the Lynn News.
    Looks like it's too late now - I think Mrs GD must have put it in the recycling bin.