Cycling to work (Improved running?)

Hello oricals of knowledge help me please. I have started cycling to work through necessity which works out at 42 miles cycling a week 3.5 miles there 3.5 back i dont go to mad i try to save my energy for my evening run.But i must admit that my running has suffered a little because of this sudden injection of cycling.Iam not to dispondant at the momment because i am hopeing that once the old body gets use to this extra work load inprovement will follow am i right. Iam running 23 miles a week currently and dont want to sacrafice any of these to compensate for the cycling but some nights its almost off the bike on with the running shoe,s.
Anyone else in a cycling to work running in the evening routine.
Dave
ps I currently run 6.5 Tue&Thur evenings 10 miles Sunday morning with the 42 miles cycling this is enough right?
PB'S are 45.46.......10K
1.18.16.......10MILE
1.49.12... Half marathon
(ALL PRE CYCLING)
So someone tell me iam going better those now. Thanks again Dave (oh yeah iam 44)

Comments

• Dave,
    I cycle to work and then run in the evening and it definitely improves run times, although it does take a while for the body to adapt (I am 46). I am a triathlete so I need to cycle then run so this routine is ideal for me, but even if I only ran I would do it as it makes good use of dead time so is "free" training. (I cycle 17 miles each way and it take an hour whether I cycle or drive).
    The only thing you need to do is make sure that you keep pedal revs high, at least 80 rpm, especially if you intend to run immediately afterwards.
    Stick with it!
    Martin.
  • I also cycle and then run immediately I get home. I have found that if I think of the cycle home as a warm up then I can run faster than in the mornings.
    The best thing I have found about cycling and running is that when I was struggling in the marathon at 24 miles, I could think "I've still got my cycling energy left" and I used all my cycling energy to get me the through the final miles. (Hey, it got me to the end - don't knock it!)
  • I also cycle about 3.5 miles to work and back and often run either before I set out in the morning or as soon as I get back in the evening. I was cycling before I started running seriously so I can't compare before and after but I don't think it does any harm. Probably helps general fitness and it's good cross-training, working a different set of muscles to running.

I like the idea that "cycling energy" could get me through the last couple of miles of a marathon. My cycling is generally pretty leisurely though so I'm not sure it's building up any great reserves of power.
  • Before i ever even thought of running, i used to cycle 7 miles each way to work. I didn't even realise it was making me fit until one day, one weekend, i did a running race as a bet. I finished the race 4th lady!!! So keep up the cycling. Once you are cycling fit you will find that the fitness is great for running as it saves your knees and gives you great aerobic capability.
  • I cycle to work (about 3 miles each way). The only thing is that I often run early in the morning and find that by the time I get on my bike my knees have seized up completely (age-related? I'm 41)! I like to think of it as a cooling down period between the run and a day's work but I do think that one day I might just grind to a halt!
  • Thanks for the info guys iam sure its doing me good just takeing a bit of time to get use to it.Martin 17 mile,s each way wow iam inspired to put a bit more effort in tomorrow morning
    Dave
  • Personally I cycle to work (5 miles each way) and back because it's a good way to add "free" training and exercise different muscle groups than I would with running. Of course, it doesn't exactly hurt my triathlon ambitions, either.

Cycling to complement (noy instead of) running has definite benefits, so long as you don't overdo it and end up a cyclist who runs for x-training - unless that's what you are of course! :)
  • Orical
    I thought someone might ask that.The simple answer is i have no changing facility's the other end i do actually drive a cab for a living and i cant shower or change the other end i suppose i could change in the cab but i would still be all hot and sweaty thats why i dont overdo the cycling so iam still in good shape to start work
    Dave
  • DTT

I've been running to work & we don't have a shower (lucky we get a sink in this place). There's a lot to be said for wet wipes and a good strip wash though. Still I do sit on my own.

Anyway on a similar note as well as cycling does anyone have a good idea what walking & hiking can do for you? Went on a 22 mile hike on sat, took most of the day. This must surely be good for your stamina and endurance?
  • Hi H
    I walked up Snowden with my son last year thats about 3500 ft that was a good work out (phew).The funny thing was i found it harder going down than going up.Nothing wrong with a good hike but running will build up endurance a lot faster than walking will.The trick is go long but build up gradualy but if you can walk 22 miles your obviously on the right track (no pun intended).
    Dave
    Dave
  • I cycle 5 miles to and from work 4 days a week. I haven't ran for two months now and apart from cycling am doing no other excercise. 2 months ago ran 5 miles at 70% of max HR. Yesterday ran the same 5 miles at same HR can you believe it I was 6 mins slower. Mind you I have put half a stone on and have probably been drinking to much. Just shows you though there's nothing like running to keep you fit. The problem with cycling to work for me is that it is all stop and start(town) The only way I think I could get a huge amount out of it is to risk life and limb and go for it for 5 miles and try to keep up with all those people whose tyres are 1 mm thick( I have a mountain bike) I've tried it and enjoyed it ,while it may benefit me it takes me half an hour for my clothes to dry out(not fair on my colleagues) and the same amount of time for my body to cool down!!!. I suppose I could take a change in clothes, but better I think to enjoy the leisurely cycle to work and start RUNNING again. I need some motivation !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stuart,
    You say that the only way to benefit from the commute is to risk life and limb and go for it but that isn't quite true. The key thing with gaining fitness from cycling is not how fast the bike is moving but how hard you are working. I suggest that you cycle in a low gear keeping the pedal revs high (80rpm+) - this is the way most cyclists train over the winter, and as a triathlete I can confirm that it definitely improves both cycling and running. You could also try running as soon as you arrive home.
    The worst thing you could do when cycling is to pedal slowly in high gears - this will give you big strong legs but won't do much for your running as good runners all have high leg speed.
    Don't give up on the cycling to work! - it definitely helps your running.
    Martin
  • thanks Martin

I tend to do what you say I shouldn't. When I think more about it the faster my legs go when I am in low gears the more out of breath I get which I assume means that the work rate is higher,higher heart rate etc. I don't want to be one of these people that has to get there as quickly as possible and it must be beneficial to gain some fitness getting to and from work. Has to be better than sitting in a traffic jam or waiting for a bus!!! cheers