Garmin FR220

XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Recently I've noticed that when my stride rate increases, such as when running down hill, the cadence value as reported by my FR220 seems to half!  Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, would I get a more accurate cadence reading if I paired the device to a foot pod?  And would the foot pod override the GPS?

Comments

• Its not something I have noticed - is it only on device or does it show it in Connect too?

Footpod would almost certainly give a more accurate reading.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Are you doing something different with your arms coming down hill?
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

mattywarr -- It happens on the device...  I've never uploaded to Connect (is that even possible with an iPad?) so can't say what that would show.  Do you know if a foot pod would overrule GPS for pace and/or distance?

TimR -- I don't consciously do any thing different with my arms when coming down hill... When I go for a run later I'll try and consciously ensure I do the same thing with arms down hill and see if that makes any difference.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    According to the 'expert' DCRainmaker it does.

He also notes that the watch dropped out the cadence readings when he moved his arm to wipe sweat from his brow.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-depth-review.html
  • Yes it will - the sensor is in watch so it will dynamically detect the change in direction or something and record that as a step, much like a pedometer does.

You can sync to Connect if you have an iPad with the newest version of bluetooth (iPad 3+). Download the Garmin Connect app (Its an iPhone app, so make sure you change your app store search settings to show iPhone apps too) and you can pair it to the watch, which will then upload the activities to Garmin Connect!

I do it that way using my iPhone and works pretty well now (Though the first versions were a bit crap)

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Well I eventually made it out of the house yesterday; I didn't think it was ever going to stop raining but eventually the sun came out, the clouds blew over, and the ground dried up... image

I didn't notice any cadence drop outs but I was focusing on maintaining form, particularly on the downhill, although I wasn't pushing too hard.  I'll keep an eye on it the next time I'm out on a quality session...

Thanks for the link TimR...  I haven't been able to read what DC Rainmaker has to say as trying to follow that link crashes my browser! image

Thanks for the technical info mattywar...  I'll try and work my way through that when I have a bit more spare time...  It would be great to be able to view my runs on Connect image

• I wish I'd never started using Gamrin Connect - But only because I am forever analysing the data!

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I took the plunge and bought one this week.

Finding it impossible to install the Garmin Express software on my XP machine. It just fails with no error messages other than 'Installation Fails, Try again?'

After a bit of poking around on the garmin forums and support I found I didn't have .NET 4.03 installed. Installed it but still Garmin Express still won't install.

Getting frustrated.
  • Windows XP was made End of Life back in April, its not surprising that it's not working.

You'll struggle to find any software that is officially compatible with XP as its no longer supported by anyone.

Looking at the system requirements of Express it does clearly say Vista or higher. 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Well spotted Matt. I didn't think to check the requirements.

So looks like I might have to resort to Carmin Connect on my Android tablet.

May have to upgrade my PC to windows 7 I think it's too old for 8. Hey ho...
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I suppose I can still use Connect to send via USB?
  • They are discontinuing support for the Garmin Communicator plugin, which is what they use on the "Classic" site. So for a while, you'll be able to use Classic view to provide the uploads. But once thats permanently removed the only way will be through Garmin Express.

Not sure on the Android side of things, but the Garmin Connect app on iOS syncs data to Connect quite nicely. Its not able to do software updates or synchronise workout calendars through it at present, though.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Plenty to play with there. My App on the iPhone gives the option to upload workouts but I'm on iPhone 4 so not Bluetooth 4. My tablet has Bluetooth. I will play tonight.

Alternatively the PC sees the watch as a hard drive so dumping the TCX files straight from the watch is possible and I suspect dumping calendar files etc will also be possible. Just not automatic.

Now to hunt for a new hard drive and copy of Win 7 for my PC...
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Well the tablet doesn't work over bluetooth.

But the USB connection uploads to Garmin Connect no problems and I can upload my workouts to the 220.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Watch went very odd today. Seemed to get a GPS fix very/too quickly but wouldn't show a pace. Went for a run anyway. During the run it sporadically threw up a pace for a second then went back to --:--. Uploaded the run. It showed the plot for the first half? The second half was straight lines to points on the route that I took.

Looked up how to do a reset and found you can turn it off by pressing and holding the light button. Tried that. GPS took the usually 3-5mins to get a fix and the pace is back.

Yet to try on a run.
  • 3-5 mins to get a  gps lock? mine only took about the the first time I ever used it. Now it is seconds. 

I've had similar issues to what you describe with my old 110 though, it is just for some reason the watch has decided it has a GPS lock when it doesn't. These days I pretty much always wait a bit longer after any watch says it has a lock before setting of just to give it time to make sure.

I'm loving the 220 at the moment, only issue I had was originally trying to connect it to a PC which just didn't work the first 20 times I tried! but I don't even use it with a PC any more got the garmin connect app on my phone which sends my personalised workouts to my watch and receives workouts from the watch.  

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Probably time to uprade my phone.

I'll time the GPS fix then and see what it actually is. It's not seconds but I only use it once every few days which may have a bearing on how the satellites have moved about.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

TimR -- That's not a problem I've experienced but I've always turned my watch off after use, which might of helped...  Also, mine takes ages to get a GPS fix but I'm not the most frequent of runners.