The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• been reading Phil Mafetone's last book on a Kindle..... 

Not sure I agree with all of it but i guess I have been sort of doing his base training stuff for the last 5 years on the bike, and run before I broke

result is despite not running consistently I knock out easy 5k runs at 5-5:30 min pace with a hr of 110, and on the bike my legs are exploding with a HR 140, (I am trucking along at a fair clip and the limiter is my legs, not the heart)

I think there is a lot millage in going steady when training image   It just takes a lot of time and humility

• Hit the slacker mode hard today. A long day at work, sh!t weather and a very tired me plus one bottle of read = extra rest day.

not worried, its needed sometimes.

• After today's Oly, I have learned......

How to put on cycling shoes when you can't feel your fingers

How to change gear with your palm because your fingers won't work

How to run with blocks of ice in your running shoes instead of your feet

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • First open water swim in Derwent water yesterday, followed by 50 mile bike including 2 category 1 climbs and a 12 mile run to finish. Amazingly I am still walking today. I finally feel like I might be able to do an ironman if the training carries on like this.

• First ever tri today. 400 meter swim/ 11 mile bike/ 3 mile run,  1 hr 8 min gutted my mate beat me but never mind there is always next time

• 104km at the London Cycle Sportive - done! Plenty of hills and quite windy! Also an extra 16km or so cycling to and from Clapham Junction.

Minor technical issue - was just about to start and realised one of my shoes wouldn't come out of pedal - the cleat had lost a screw so was just spinning round as I tried to twist it out! Glad I discovered then than at a set of traffic lights in the middle of London! image Excellent Bon Velo guys at the start sorted it out for me and I was off! 

How did everyone elses events go today? Glad the forecasted rain didn't really materialise - a few minir drizzles but nothing to get excited about! image

• Oops! I didn't refresh the page from yesterday! Well done MC and trotter! Also tricoops - sounds like an epic training day! Bloody knackered after my bike ride but reckon I'd have had enough in the legs for a bit of a run! image

MC - sounds pretty miserable! Hope you've managed to warm up!

• Strength training for me today, otherwise known as mountain biking in gale force wind up and down hills in the Chilterns

• sounds like some good sessions and races

was great to meet with Timebikes today and also to meet up again with Hattie and Pingu......

managed to take over 40 mins off last years time.improved on all three elements.......so pleased........

3325 ft climbing over the 29 miles and that climbing was mainly over two climbs.

• forgot to say ...17:31 for the swim 800 m.without pullbuoy..........could have gone faster as well but had to stop to pick up a car key from the bottom of the pool..........what kind of idiot takes a car key into a pool I thought......just before realising it was mineimage

also slowed down in teh second half as i was worried about the bike leg

• Lol Seren!!!   You muppet   image

• 7:15 off the 800m swim........20:23 off the 30 mile bike and 12:50 mins off the 6.5 mile hilly run........

not much off the bike as I did some extra miles last year which accounted for about 14 mins........conditions were tough again today and had to stop twice on the bike.once to undress and the second time on the steepest part of a hill on a lane when the driver thought i only needed 12 inches gap........my brake lever caught the last part of his car.stayed on but stopped as i think i did damage......he asked if i was ok before driving off.............

took me 3 attempts to actually clip in and get going again on the hills..........annoyed I wasted time...but when he discovers the scatch on his car he can't complain i didn't stop./

• Brilliant result Seren, Sounds like it didn't occur to the driver that you might have scratched his car.  Serves him right for being a twat.

Today, after a fairly rubbish swim, I mostly cursed the wind for most of 56 miles.  Not sure Marshman will be on my list of events to do again, even though I only did 2/3rds of it. Didn't think stepping up to 13miles from 5 would be beneficial at this stage.

• Have taken today off as I feel completely knackered. Back to it tomorrow image.

• All going fine with me - permanently tired but that's normal.

After last weeks disastrous attempt at OW - where I totally failed - I tried again yesterday. Went for two swim hats and that helped a lot and I was able to keep my head in the water. Did 2km in about 40mins which, after last week, I was ever so pleased with. I knew things were improving when I was zig-zagging around and heading towards the bank as I was keeping my head in the water and consequently not looking where I was going.

• A bit of a longshot but I'm looking to ride a lap of the IMUK course tomorrow afternoon if anybody fancies it?

I'm at work in Manchester in the morning so I should be at the Reebok stadium for about one. I don't really know where I'm going so it'll be a nice easy pace just to have a look.

Cheers

Mark
  • I need some advice. Looking for a couple of events to enter pre-Ironman UK.  Am in Bala on June 8th but am looking for a sportive or two pre July 20th, long distances in the north West or Yorkshire.

Any suggestions?

• Sorry ,....only know off the south wales area ones.....

I am doing another block week and I'm knackered after 2 days.........tomorrow I will have company so would be easier......pity we have picked a really tough bike route.....wonder if its time to get my race bike out

• Lost my running confidence recently perhaps I've trained to hard over the winter as I haven't got much motivation for the long runs 8 miles is a real struggle which is strange as only 4 weeks ago I ran my fastest half marathon for 2 years. Hopefully it is just a blip and I'll get back this week I'm forcing myself to do a mid-week 10 mile and a long run at week 13 mile plus.

Weekend was the Cotswold Sprint Tri first open water event of the year Swim wasn't too go was longer than 400m and I messed up in T1 trying to get a mesh cycling jacket on. I had time to make a fresh pot of coffee that's how long it took!!! Bike went well not really use to going fast but pushed hard and Run was better than expected.

Focus this week is on running and might get down to Wimbleballon Sunday to do another taster of that lovely bike course!!

Good luck everyone.

• IronBlue - there's a pretty useful search facility here:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives 

Short 'n' easy 40 minute run for me last night, and 90 minutes out on the bike this morning, in perfectly still, clear and sunny conditions.

That's me done now - next lot of exercise I do will be splashing about in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa image

• image.Pudge.....

Today was joy to be out training....a beautiful day......imageimage

• IronBlue wrote (see)

I need some advice. Looking for a couple of events to enter pre-Ironman UK.  Am in Bala on June 8th but am looking for a sportive or two pre July 20th, long distances in the north West or Yorkshire.

Any suggestions?

If any use know Tom who rarely post's is doing it so you won't be the only pirate type.linky

• 1.3mile sea swim tonight could even feel my feet at end. Must be getting warmer
  • 6 mile run for me today somewhat hastily rearranged from a swim and a 2hr bike .... due to unforeseen horseyness

• Wahoo!.... the good weather is back!

Banged out an hour on the TT bike at 20.2mph...... VERY pleased with that!...

Last June when I quit smoking, that would have been unthinkable. It would have been unthinkable to even get to 20mph on a bike, let alone average it for an hour..... tonight, at one point I dropped onto my tri bars, gritted my teeth and overtook a cyclist I came across, and he sucked onto my back wheel.... after 3 miles when I sat up, he pulled alongside and said, "phew, glad you backed off.... that was a bit bloody quick for me!"..... yep... i'd just done 3 miles at 26.5mph image

IM France, here I come!

• Well done Magna! - what have you done on the bike to improve just more time on the saddle?

Weird week for me this week with exams - finish tomorrow though. Also a cold has been brewing since last Friday and seems to have officially begun today. Hopefully I'll manage it properly with some medication and a few easy days and be all set to go again.

• Isn't long training sessions so much easier when its sunny.

day 4 of my block week .....feeling tired but only one more day to goimage

• Lovely ride out on the bike ... gawjuss day
    Long run tomorrow  and then back to work for 6 days for a rest

• ElBeanpole wrote (see)

Well done Magna! - what have you done on the bike to improve just more time on the saddle?

Weird week for me this week with exams - finish tomorrow though. Also a cold has been brewing since last Friday and seems to have officially begun today. Hopefully I'll manage it properly with some medication and a few easy days and be all set to go again.

Yep, just lots of miles.... and also working on my weaknesses... so heading for the hills, and also trying to get my cadence right.