Monster Mojo

Early 1/2 IM outing in 2 weeks, courtesy of Buccaneer Tri / Triathlete Europe and Monster Racing, anyone else at this event  ?

Comments

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I'm aiming for Mojito image My local club has quite a few of us going to both races I think, so there should  be a few Tri-Anglians about.

I've not done a OW tri on a cold day yet so kit is concerning me, don't want to be stuck in T1 trying put on layers but also don't want to be freezing cold on the bike. Decisions, decisions...

• Doesn't fit my schedule this year, but may pop along to support, as its right on my doorstep!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I'll be there, but taking photos...

• ahhhhh..... this isn't fair..... why did you bring this up?

Now i've gone an got all tempted to enter.    image

Will discuss with 'er indoor later, and maybe.........

• Entered!

Actually i've gone for the half way option and entered the Mojito... see you all there!

• Phew.... that was cold!

Actually a really good event....one i'll definitely enter again. The venue is fantastic for triathlon.

However, on the downside, there was a lot of weed in the lake... which might need attention..

and, though no fault of Monster's... its was bloody cold on the bike after a 1500m swim in a cold lake on a grey, cool, windy day... only made tolerable by the sheer number of 'Go Pirate's'!

But main thing was to observe again just how bloody fast Rosey is..... came past me like a steam train... a lap ahead!... I won't spoil his thunder, but he did pretty well!

• It was horrendous, wasnt it? I hated the first hour or so; frozen, soggy and with too much catching up to do after an appallingly slow, cold swim!

How did you get on? I assume you were the Pirate I saw coming out of transition?

• might have been me you saw.... I had black compression socks on. Rosey was in pirate kit too, but had white compression socks, and was mainly a blur due to high speed.... and there was a female pirate too, I assume that was that you?

My swim was really slow too... just too damned cold!

Mind you, was a bit quicker than I thought i'd be on the bike... mainly to try and warm up!

I decided last night to use my road bike due to the wind.... but with hindsight, would probably have got away with the TT bike... which is a shame as I might have topped a 20mph average then.

The run was a mess for the first lap, as I couldn't feel my feet.... as they warmed up, it felt really really wierd!

Even so, still enjoyed it in the end.... and was happy with my result of 2:49... was aiming to get under 3 hours as it was only my second ever tri, and first oly distance, so didn't really know what to expect

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I bow to all you speedy pirates who kept zooming past me on the run! I failed miserably on the arrrs sorry. Thoroughly enjoyed the event though and loved the bike. The lake was weedy but thankfully only for the first bit, I thought it got better after that. Running on stumps was novel and as my feet thawed out if felt like had lots of stones in my shoes but I didn't.  I'm very glad we upgraded from camping to the hotel so I could have a lovely hot shower afterwards.

Good fun event, they just need to book better weather next time. image