The Lomas Distribution Buxton Half Marathon

Only a few more weeks before race day. We have had a higher than usual number of pre-entries so far this year. Who else is thinking of joining us for a tough little race?!?

Comments

• Hoping to. Got a race on Sunday and, if that goes well, I might do Buxton!

• Good luck with your race tomorrow.  I haven't place the order for t-shirts just yet so anyone who pre-enters will still get one at the moment!

• Hi Beverley, I'm entered for my first crack at Buxton, and looking forward to it. Just one question, do we collect race numbers on the day or will they come out in the post?

• Hi David.  If you entered online you collect your race number on the day.  Final instruction with all the details will be emailed out in the next week or two.  Make sure you get your smile polished up cos Bryan Dale will be taking pics again.image

• Thanks Bev. My race went ok but Scunny is a tad flatter . . . .I`m planning on entering Buxton tonight. When`s the closing date for pre-entry?

• Hi Egyptian Toe - glad your race went ok. Closing date for pre-entry isn't until midnight on Friday 23rd but if you enter before Friday 9th you will get a t-shirt.

• I entered last night. Where`s best for parking? And where are the big (gest) hills?! I`m` looking forward` to comparing this to Eyam, image

• The best place to park is actually in the Pavilion Gardens car park but it is quite expensive.  If you arrive early enough there is free parking on Burlington Road but very limited. The race brochure is now available through the buxton ac facebook page - link https://www.facebook.com/groups/buxtonadac/708943259144166/  It should be on our website soon but just waiting for the webmaster to put it on there.  I also email the race brochure to all entrants so you should receive that soon anyway.  It has loads of info re parking and also a race profile with a decent course description!  I haven't done Eyam but the opinion seem mixed as to which is harder!  You'll have to let me know what you think! 

• Thanks again Bev! Found the profile on the Buxton AC page and I can see it`s a pretty tough start!

• Yeah but after that first 3 miles it's all down hill!  Well, until mile 7 when you come out of Glutton Bridge...and somewhere around mile 10 when you go up slaughter house hill (short but steep)...and the bit at mile 12 ish up cottage hill...  But yeah, lots of DOWN hill - promise!image

• Not placing the order for t-shirts til Monday morning so if you are thinking of entering, get it done this weekend and you will still get one!

• Hi just checking that there will be entry on the day?

• Hi Jonny - yes there is entry on the day.  Race HQ opens from 8.00am so plenty of time to get registered before the start of the race.

• The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I entered last night. Where`s best for parking? And where are the big (gest) hills?! I`m` looking forward` to comparing this to Eyam, image

I've done them both many times and from my experiences and race times I'd say Eyam is a bit harder, The Sandy lane / Sir William Hill from 9-ish miles to 11-ish at Eyam is a good hard climb as is the first main hill from the village to the top road.  Buxtons first hill to Axe Edge goes on for a bit too although you're reasonably fresh then but Buxtons climb out of Glutton bridge (8m) not to be taken lightly!  

But regardless of how hard they are , they're both great races and a credit to Eyam half marathon committee and Buxton AC. (Even if Buxton was better in my opinion when it was on a saturday evening)

I'll be at them both again this year

• Thanks FZ. That is helpful, I looked and the overall climbs are bigger at Buxton but entered reckoning that it couldn`t have worse than Sir William Hill.

There was talk of a peak series of 3 or 4 of these HMs but I don`t think that was finalised - ? That would have be a great t-shirt to get!

• Yes I'd heard about the proposal for a Peak half marathon series, Eyam, Buxton, Leek, and Ashbourne. Not aware that it got fully sorted out.

All 4 are great courses, Leek and Ashbourne yeah they've got some good hills in them but not as hard as Eyam and Buxton.

You're not going to run a PB at any of them but all very good events in the Peak District, worth doing for all runners

• FellZebra - I have heard tell that the 1/2 used to be on a Saturday teatime but that was before my time.  I think they had to change it 'cos the Pavilion Gardens got a licence to hold civil ceremonies, Saturday afternoons are a popular time for weddings and they didn't want a load of runners going by (I coincidentally got married on the bandstand on a Saturday at 4.00pm).

Egyptian Toe & FZ - there was talk regards a Peak Half Marathon series involving Eyam, Buxton, Leek & Ashbourne Half marathons but it just didn't get sorted out in time for this year.  Hopefully it is something than can be launched properly next year. 

• Beverley Golden wrote (see)

FellZebra - I have heard tell that the 1/2 used to be on a Saturday teatime but that was before my time.  I think they had to change it 'cos the Pavilion Gardens got a licence to hold civil ceremonies, Saturday afternoons are a popular time for weddings and they didn't want a load of runners going by (I coincidentally got married on the bandstand on a Saturday at 4.00pm). 

Yes back in the day it was a 5.30 saturday start, I've heard various reasons for the change but not the fact regarding the weddings. So now we know, thanks for sharing. Can understand that not all marriage ceromonies would appreciate an additional 300 runners there!

Was good while it was there though, a hard saturday evening race, showered and changed at baths, and then out on the town for some of that special runners recovery drink!

• Has anyone received their race email yet? Not had mine yet, just wanted to know whether I should be chasing it yet?

• When did you enter Jamie?  I have sent emails to everyone but those who have entered in the last couple of days.  

• Jamie, I have just checked and I sent you an email on the 8th May.  It may have ended up in your spam.  I will resend it now and if you can't see it, check your spam.  If that doesn't work the race brochure with all the info is also on the Buxton AC website http://buxtonac.org.uk/cgi-bin/halfmarathon.py 

Has anyone else had this problem?

• Can't really believe that I've just gone and entered.  Looking forward to the scenery and atmosphere .... may well leave the Garmin at home.  Hopefully next weekend will be just a tad cooler than this one.

• Yeah, cooler would be good!

Bev - I got my (very helpful) email. Thanks!

• Just entered! Did it last year for the first time and loved it. I did 5 half marathons last year and was definitely the hardest but also the most rewarding - looking forward to this year's as I am a bit lighter than last year. Its probably the t-shirt I have worn with the most pride even more than the Yorkshire marathon which was my first over that distance. 

• Looking forward to this a lot now. Had a restful week and planning to set off very steadily and see how I go. This cooler weather should be a help!

And then training for Chesterfield Marathon begins!

• ET - did you do Eyam last week and if so, how did you find it?  It has given light rain showers for Sunday so if it stays like that conditions will be ideal.  

• No, I didn`t do Eyam but a friend did and he said the conditions were tough. I did it 3 years ago.

Anyone know if there`s a playground near the start / Pavilion Gardens? If the weather is ok, I`m hoping my little ones can come too!image

• Yes there is a playground.  There is one for little people and one for people who are a bit bigger.  If the weather isn't great there is also a swimming pool in the pavilion gardens that's open to the public all day and it has a little pool and a big pool.  

• Thanks again Bev. Just been looking at all the info - very helpful. I know where I`m heading to, parking, playing, etc. Just the small matter of 13.1 hilly miles to negotiate now! image