Newbie Wetsut Question

I guess that having a first posting asking for help is rather annoying, but I am stuck...

In an attempt to get over a fear of open water swimming I took the plunge and went tonight.

Now I am left with a wet - I have rinsed it in the bath / shower - so hopefully cleanish wetsuit, but I am unsure if I am doing the right thing drying it by hanging it up? On a hanger and leaving it to drip over the bath.  My wife is far from impressed, with my swimming or the wetsuit.

I am assuming that I can't just hang it on the line in the sun?

Can I just leave it in the garage?  Is hanging it the right thing to do?  How long will it take? Before I put it back in the box for next week / or this weekend!

Sorry for asking so many questions first time.

Many thanks

Comments

• SC I just do what you have done

coat hanger on the shower screen

doesnt take long to dry 

• Thanks for the reply Crooky I'll just tell her it is normal behaviour then and try and ignore the huffin!

• I just hung it in the bathroom too - husband didn't care image

• I do the same. Just don't forget it's in there and scare yourself first thing in the morning. First time I did it I got up thought there was a stranger in my shower! (I'm not very clever in the mornings)

• If you can, get a 'broad' suit like hanger so there's less pressure on the shoulders when you do hang it. I think most people do hang them over the bath /in the shower (I do too) but to keep the peace (always good to keep the other ½ on board) you could also get one of those 'gorilla' tubs to put underneath and hang it in the garage to drip dry? Hang it inside out as the inner 'lining' is hardier than the rubber outer, so shouldn't get caught on anything.

just my opinion, no responsibility is expressed or implied and no expertise is claimed. No, I won't be justifying my comments by backing them up with sterile laboratory tests reviewed by peer groups and published in established scientific journals! (just in case the forum police take umbrage again image)

• On the rare occasions that I swim - I hose it down in the garden after and leave to drip dry on the line - inside out as its harder to nick the surface that way.

Works fine.

Just dont tumble it.
  • Crooky-BWFC wrote (see)

SC I just do what you have done

coat hanger on the shower screen

doesnt take long to dry 

image Same here if you want to enjoy it a bit more get a harroween mask and put in on the hanger head hieght. Go down stair's make a cuppa and wait for the scream from the next person to use the bathroom. image

• Yeah - can be a bit scary if you've had a heavy night and there's a wetsuit hanging in the shower in the morning! Thankfully the wife's also got a wettie now, so she can't complain about where I leave mine!

Also, just in case, only rinse in cold water. Neoprene doesn't like heat.

Like they say, they don't take long to dry but your should hang it up afterwards rather than roll it up and stuff it in a bag. be careful of hanging in a shed or garage if it is prone to getting warm during sunny periods.

• Ohhh how I wish I had seen this advice... 5am think whole neighbourhood was woken by the scream of child discovering headless man in the bathroom!

On the plus side the wetsuit is virtually dry if a little pungent!
  • I shouldn't laugh but .....................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Hope said child has recovered from the ordeal!

• We will find out tonight if she can sleep!!! Wetsuit all dry and back in it's box until maybe Sunday...
  • Wetsuit should be stored folded and flat when dry, not on a hanger apparently (according to my mate who asked Snugg). Stops stretching on shoulders like wot Siggy said.

• Mine's stored laid out flat under the bed - but it hasn't got wet yet image

• Well my wetsuit has not been wet since ironman last year

i am hoping to get out to pennington on saturday

i just need to try it on again and hope it's not shrunk since last time

• OK, someone has to ask, any different cleaning/care technique if you happen to have had a piss in it? Just wondering because a friend asked ????
  • No MTRI, just rinse with *plenty* of clean water!! Seren should really be answering this question though!! 

From what I understand 'fresh' urine is sterile.  It's only once it's been exposed to the air for a little while that it's not!

*no expertise is claimed or implied, no sterile lab tests done,  no published peer group reviewed papers, blah blah blah. Willing to be corrected by those that have the time and life to produce the documented evidence etc... (Rider for the forum Police) image