Thursday 15th May 2014

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

A boy is born in hard time Mississippi...

Morning! Just!

Just off the phone from talking to the hospital about my mother, and she is back on the same ward she was discharged from 12 hours ago. Things will hopefully become clearer tomorrow. And thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

What: stretch
Why: not allowed to run

The artist was 64 yesterday. Actually I thought he was older!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning

ale: Hope your mum gets better soon

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Hanging on the telephone' by Blondie

Off out now.

Back later

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

Should have got yesterday's lyrics.  Don't know today's (I don't think!)

Ale sorry to hear about your Mum, hope she gets better soon

What: another filling at the dentist, without anaesthetic
    Why: the needles are far worse than the pain...
    Last hard: the 2 hill reps I did as part of my run last night, instead of running club (it was sunny when I got home, and given the weather at the moment, was guaranteed not to be an hour later!).

Have fun today OH. 

Have a good day all.

• Morning emzap

What:35mins easy/steadily done.

Why: Habit

Dry, mild and no wind. Not a bad day for getting out.

Back later

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Ale - best wishes, your mum is in the best place possible at the moment
    Emz - very brave. Can't see myself how the needle 'scratch' is more painful than nerve drilling...
    AF - good work. Do you need a whole new wardrobe now the trouser battle is won (or is the war not over?)
    LmH - sounds good. Was delighted to note after QoP visit last night that the local chippy is celebrating 'Norway day' on Saturday with 99p cod and chips all day. Thats lunch (and dinner) sorted!
    what - U11 coaching tonight , somewhere will squeeze in 3-4 easy
    why - tempo yesterday, ended up being 8.3 miles (according to map my run) in ~58 minutes. not sure that's quite right but checked my log and a similar route 2 months ago took 65 (as a 'run'). Legs felt mashed afterwards which QoP partially sorted.
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - yesterday
    lyric - don't think so

have a groovy day

• Morning.

Hope the news is good this morning Alehouse.

Bargain Dustin! Glad the QoP helped. I've booked myself in for some torture when we get home.

You're very good doing hill reps on your own emzap.

Lovely day here too birks - just waiting for the in-laws to get up/depart and then we'll be out enjoying it ourselves. At last I think enjoying it is what we're supposed to be doing though as it involves more time on the bike it may be more a case of looking forward to the ice cream afterwards image

What:              I shall mostly be riding my bicycle
    Why:               it's what Mark wants to do/I need to do
    Last hard:       being enthusiastic about the above
    Last rest:        12/4

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

nzc: I've found some classic footage/documentary programmes on you-tube of John Walker and Peter Snell.

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/john-walker-the-3-49-4-man-1976

I can honestly call this 'research' because Mrs B is doing New Zealand for  her Primary School class Commonwealth country for their Commonwealth Games topic image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Needle phobia Dustin.  trying to sort it out, but not as easy as just "getting on with it" unfortunately...wish it was!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

alehouse sorry to hear your mum is poorly hope she gets better soon

Lyrics yep love this artist..

lmh I need some QOP without a doubt!! Enjoy the bike its glorious!

oh emzap give me the needle any day, although if its not a deep filling I get it!

what: club session later

why: I seem to need people around me when I run these days! Self mojo has done a runner!

last hard: last night off road 3  miles

last easy: Tuesday

have a good un all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Wabo, I think my mojo has run off with yours.... if i find them I shall point in your direction.

Hopefully something later if work does not get in the way

Saw my K(Q)OP on Monday, hip flexors were in a mess

Take acre

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

likewise RFJ!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Well we only managed to cover 42 miles in three hours today - but that did involve 877m of climb according to the Garmins. A glorious day to be out and riding and I did my first successful ascent of Col D'Portsdown image followed, fortunately not too closely by a non stop ascent of Col D'Portesham. So much for my easy day before tomorrow's planned biggy!

Emzap - I find that I'm much better with needles if I can watch them going in - may be worth a try? The other technique that I use at the dentist (I used to be totally phobic) is consciously taking my mind somewhere else, usually a tri or marathon and going through how the race in detail in my mind. Dentist wasn't very keen on this 'absence' but warmed to it when he realised that it meant that I didn't hit him! 

Wabo - hope you find your mojo soon, they can be cunning little things.

RFJ - I'm sure yours can't be far away, you seem to be training well.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Evening all.

I am running in the Helensburgh 10k tonight at 7:30pm.  It's a lovely evening for a race - never done it before but seemingly almost 1000 people enter, so it's chipped, which is always good. Part of the Kodak series of races.  Legs still a bit tired from the half on Sat but I'm sure I'll be fine.  Will report back later, or tomorrow image

Lyrics, nope.

• Hope it goes well Donaldo - you certainly have a busy race schedule at the moment!

No OW here but I did enjoy an hours easy run in the sun.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Good luck Donaldo

What: 2.81 miles
    Why: running won't get done  by itself
    Last Hard Today a  bit
    Lyrics: I did google intrigued who was 64. Surprised me too

• Been sunny most of the day up hereimage

don: Aw ra best mate.

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

What: 30 min easy cycle

Why: stir crazy!

Lyrics: nope

Ale: Sorry to hear about your Mum, not easy! I hope she is ok!

Don: Busy busy! Good luck!

Beautiful day here, spent most of it sneezing in the new cut grass in the park. Other than that, polishing up for my last exam on Wednesday.. I swear I haven't had this much time to prepare for any exam. I know it to death and its actually boring me now!

1 week and 2 days till CAPE TOWN!!! 

• What: fun beach run (3.5 mile)  as Smaug ( 27 kts westerly!)

why: day 4 CW Challenge

last hard: Monday 

next rest : tomorrow image

Lyrics no

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Great race tonight. 38:16 new 'pb'. Fast course, big field, great fun. Around 70th overall.

Currently waiting for a Macdonalds as a reward! image

Alehouse, hope all okay with your mum.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Birkmyre - fantastic old footage. I was running as a kid the same time that Walker was also running his first x country races.

I was in London in '74 when he and Bayi ran in the Commonwealth Games in NZ. And when he broke the world record, I was home in NZ with my first child.

Bayi is in NZ at the moment with a group of Tanzanians for training and has met up again with Quax, Walker and Jelley.

Lyrics - yes.

What: Mowed the lawns!

I might have gone for a run if I'd already watched the videoimage

• Evening all

What almost 9

Why cub run

Lyrics no

Alehouse hope things work out well for your mum, must be quite worrying for you at the moment.

Donaldo well done on the pb

Still trying to get some sort of training rythem going again. Putbin 8 miles both yesterday and Tuesday but will now ready until Sunday. Hopefully I will be back up to 5 runs  week soon.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done Don!

NZC: I was in London also when Bayi surprised everyone! The British Universities XC were in Guildford and we stayed in London overnight: despite there being lots of people in the know athletics-wise, no-one had heard of Bayi. Sounds like that video is inspirational!

OH: sounds a fun run, if you know what I mean!

Wabo: good to see you posting! Hope your mojo is now found.

Pammie: running won't, indeed, get done by itself.

Mum: has waited all day to see the spinal consultant, and hasn't. She actually needs to see a neurologist but the spinal consultant needs to refer mum on. In a way the time delay is good as it means mum is getting well cared for.

What: lots of stretching. Definitely loosening up (therefore probably won't be able to walk in the morning!)
    Why: troublesome hamstrings won't let me run.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.