Options

Stomach cramps

I am an experienced runner and every time I do a heavy training session or more often a race, I get excruciating intestinal cramping for about 2 hours. They come in waves and feel like I have to urgently go to the toilet but actually don't. I make sure I have good nutrition and am well hydrated. Is there anything I can do to help this? Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Buscopan is good for intestinal cramping, so may be good for symptom relief. 

When do the cramps come on? During running, or afterwards? Is it linked to eating/drinking? 

• Options

Always afterwards, about 20 mins after finish and come and go for 2 hours. Not linkec to eating or drinking at all. 

• Options

Has this possibly started since a change in your hydration/nutrition routine within your heavy training sessions? Such as a change in energy drink or bar?

• Options
    socks up tosocks up to ✭✭✭

how close to exercising do you eat or drink something beforehand? could be that if its an intense session the intestines stop working (blood goes to your muscles) but there is still stuff digesting.
    could be that your hip flexors are worked hard and because they are close to intestines the sore muscles are transferring the cramping? (after all period pain can cause a similar thing)
    could be it triggers something like IBS.
    worth trying running on 'empty' to see if it makes a difference?

• Options

Did a 10km race yesterday and took 2 buscopan straight after finishing. Absolutely no cramps at all!! Thanku so much, that will help so much in the future. And I enjoyed our roast dinner! Xx