Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - Good K times there and sounds like a blast, is your running partner a Veteran also?

Nope, he is less than half my age and on the way up. I was able to keep ahead of him last year but  fear I won't be beating him much longer.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo yes going for a few days, to take in Ypres & Bruges. I did a work trip to the Somme battlefields in the 80s with some of the surviving vets, very moving indeed and of course they are now all gone.

Tell MrsL that Stockholm is not enough, sign her up for IFF too...

0245, night shifts, hmm image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Another glorious day out their. Think I'll jog to and from the parkrun for 6 mile outing. Should get in the mid 40's this week.

Got a pal sellling a VW Camper 1972 for £10,000. Was sorely tempted but would not have the time to use it- let me know if anyone is interested.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - sounds interesting. My grandfather was in WWI and I think was at most of the major battles. I was too young for him to talk to me about it before he died but my dad told me some of his stories.
    Crash Hamster - good to have you de-lurk! Welcome and good luck.
    GM - Mrs GD is very restrained when it comes to shopping. In fact, I think I have more shoes than herimage
    PMJ - brilliant peformance in the relay pairs - looking very good.
    Leslie - cracking run!
    Doing more dips, heel raises and drops - hope I'm not overdoing it, but decided I'm not going down without a fight. Not too much pain now when I hop, so things are improving. Might do some cycling next week to try and stop losing too much areboic fitness.

• What the hell is the point of running 9 miles before breakfast, if you can't then go online and boast about it to uninterested strangers?  That's my longest single run of the year.  And I only swallowed four midges.  A new record low.  Hurrah for me: Two PBs in one day.

Gul - That is dreadful news.  My heart goes out to you.  I imagine you're feeling devastated right now.  Sometimes life just isn't fair.  I mean, nobody should ever have to go shopping in Bluewater.

• Oh, Gul, I've just noticed that you ruined my feeble quip by posting again in the interim.  We'll have to work on our timing. 

Anyway, good luck with the injury.  I hope you'll make it to your marathon start line.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes the insects were out im Whitley Bay blighting the parkrun on an otherwise glorious morning with 330 runners turning up. I ran well in 18:19 and a 5th in a strong field, despite a poor start where I got swamped behind 30+ runners.

Hope the sun shines everywhere today- could be time for a BBQ and a few celebratory beers image

Good to see you pulling your finger out AR   

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Excellent parkrunning there! Enjoy those well deserved beers!!

Gul - As a runner it's perfectly acceptable to own more shoes than your Mrs. That is assuming she is not a runner and your collection is running shoes!image

Dropped my son off for his footie practice this morning and ran 5 miles along the trail path the leads to the South West cliff paths. Enjoyed that run and what a stunning day it is out there.

• Bit of parkrun action from me too this morning. I had a go at Beeston for a change. My lungs still aren't fully recovered from the cold though, so I died a bit of a death after 2 miles. 19.36 is a parkrun PB, but actually slower than 10k PB pace. Ah well. Beautiful day out. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You should come and do our 5-mile race in a couple of weeks, Speedy - you'll be better by then and you'll probably win £50.

• 19:51 at parkrun this morning. Plan was to do it easy so 20 minutes was the aim and I hit 3 k at 12 and 4k at 16 minutes, all motoring along nicely diesel like, high gear and low revs. At 4k there was a guy holding onto me so I asked him what he was aiming at and he said sub-20 so I told him to keep holding on and he'd make it. Last 100 or so metres suddenly someone came storming up and past me and it wasn't even him, someone else out of the blue so I kicked down a few gears, revved up and came home ahead of him. Sub-20 aspirant ceased to be an aspirant a few seconds later.

Odd parkrun as a few of us there normally race for first home (in fact, I have never been first home at my home parkrun, 4 seconds and 8 thirds) and all of us have races tomorrow so we were all looking round for some fast lad to take it on early so there was no nagging doubt about pace and thankfully one did turn up so we could all relax.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

To answer a few questions about my long runs and diet–

KR – I listen to an audio book on long easy runs

Poacher – I tend to prepare meals in bulk so not too time consuming

------

Abbers – Good tempo session and I hope your 10 went well

Crash Hamster – Welcome aboard! I joined this thread a few years back with a PB of 3:26 and now I’m down to 2:54 with lots of helpful advice here.

Gul – Really sorry about your injury. Don’t give up yet though – P.M.A!

Leslie – Glad you are making injury comeback progress

GM – Sounds like a few great runs

Speedy – Nice Parkrun PB especially since you are still recovering from a cold

PMJ – Excellent pairs racing and a good Parkrun run out. Good luck for your 10k tomorrow

I ran my local slow course Parkrun today after 9 miles easy in 18:30 which is 19 seconds faster than I’ve run the course in 4 attempts. So despite my 42.5 mile run on Wednesday I seemed to be in pretty damn good form! image This now leaves me with a bit of a dilema. I’m tempted to cut back the mileage a bit next week and race the Newry City Marathon on Sunday instead of using it as part of back to back 20+ mile training runs for my 100k race.

I’ve been using Steve Ways training as a guide and he did exactly the same with VLM 3 weeks before his 100k race. His results turned out well! imageThe new Newry course is very flat and the forecast is for little wind so I would have a chance for a PB.

My only worries would be the possibility of injury or taking too much out of myself 3 weeks before my ‘A’ goal 100k race. Hmmm, decisions decisions. image

• badbark, what is the aim of racing it? Your PB is pretty fast and so are you trying to beat that? All of these things are possible but you have to write down the rewards and consequences. The reward of a PB is good but the consequence may be you DNS or DNF the100k. If you primary aim is the 100k then keep to the plan.

• Off thread and mainly for Ant: pâte sucrée filled with crème pâtissière

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-86Mj33U6Axs/U3elKOJpjLI/AAAAAAAAA5E/GsDWipPr2fY/s720/IMG_1315%255B1%255D.JPG

• Mmm, pudding! I'm trying to shed about 21lb before September, so that sort of thing is largely OOB at the moment!

Badbark - it must be lovely to be in that sort of shape, but I'd be more inclined to remember the many who've left a good marathon out on a 20 mile B race than the freakishly talented Mr Marigold! It's a big gamble; are you feeling lucky? image

Some cracking parkruns all round; I am indeed in exalted company! (not that I've ever actually done one; I work most Saturdays and savour my one chance for a lie in when I don't) I hope to be posting similar times in another 1800 pages time!

Today:
    7 miles MP 7:48s, needs some work
    1.25lb weightloss (2lb total)

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark-you would almost certainly Pb based on current form but it I think it will cost you at the 100k, a proper raced mara takes a long recovery.

PMJ-Nice diesel parkrun sub 20.

Hamster - 21 lb is a lot no cake for you 

00-51-speedy parkrun.

Speedy-get well then fix that 5k time in-line with your 10k time 

5x 8:30 min/miles for me yesterday evening , on the up again.image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Quick drop in to wish Gul all the best - I hope things turn around and you get to run. Even if not 100%, it might be preferable to a shopping marathon.

• Staines 10k today. Scores on the doors are 38:08 in very hot sunshine and 5th overall and some sort of vet win but nobody is quite sure which colour.

Got to the race on time, sorted out chip and chatted to a lot of club-mates, friends and part time rivals. The event is a club champs race so we were trying to work out our fastest 4 for the team prize but all the fast lads were away so we weren't sure who would make it. Got to the start and overall situation didn't look very different: no familiar looking fast faces on the start line. Gun goes and Rob Foster was away and I was in second with a fast start and expecting the hordes to stream past. By 1km mark things had settled down and I was in 4th and it just seemed that there were no fast ones about.

ricF (local runner V50 and a friend from another thread) came up on my shoulder at about 2k and we were in a small bunch and at about 2.5k he passed me and I followed him. By 4k we were clear in 4th and 5th and all thoughts of a time were gone and it was just a race. I pushed on from 4k to 7k but ric came past at 7k and I just didn't have the mental energy to work hard as  I was sure I had the V40 scene sewed up and ric is V50 so I held station and came home a handful of seconds behind him.

Usual fiasco with prizes when you get vets finishing ahead of seniors and high age group vets finishing ahead of younger vets.

Overall happy with the outcome. 80% is still alluding me but to be fair I am not targeting the races enough yet so each race is really just a hard session to get the legs moving over faster. I have a 5k on Friday and will probably skip one this Tuesday so maybe will be fresher for that.

• Skip a 5k, sir? Is this the secret to a fast marathon time, or will it just make you look unnecessarily flamboyant? image

Leslie, yep, 21lb is an awful lot of 'no cake'... but doable, I hope image

7 miles gentle XC.

• Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Skip a 5k, sir? Is this the secret to a fast marathon time, or will it just make you look unnecessarily flamboyant? image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats pmj thats a good time and position. 

16.5 for me at a decent pace so 43 for the week.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ -Nice finish time and placing.

00-51- good week

27 miles for me this week , races 1 , injuries 1image 

• Injury alert! image 

6 miles into my MP+15 run on Saturday when I moved to the side of the road as some cyclists were coming past and ended up spraining my ankle on a pothole/side of the camber. It's the same ankle as the one I twisted quite badly a few months ago but fortunately it doesn't seem to have swollen up or be hurting to the same extent. I decided to take the sensible approach and not attempt to carry on running but to give elder Lorenzito (who thankfully passed his driving test a week ago) a call to pick me up.

With 2 weeks to go to Stockholm, I decided to take it easy today and head out on the bike (the weather was ideal) for a couple of hours and I'll probably cycle in to work tomorrow to give the ankle an extra day's recovery so fingers crossed it's just a minor blip.

Good racing from OO and PMJ this weekend - younger Lorenzito was at a track and field meeting this afternoon (I'm the manager of the boys team) and it was pretty darned warm by the end of the afternoon.

How are you feeling Gul?

• Nice placing PMJ, what was the prize? Have to say I'm tempted by Lit's club's race, but I'll have already raced twice at the weekend so not sure I'll be in any shape to race again. But cash prizes.....

Lorenzo - noooo. Fingers crossed it's nothing that won't heal quickly. Better to do too little now than to push it and make it worse.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - good parkrun.
    Speedy - Good effort for a parkrun PB before a full recovery.
    PMJ - Excellent 10k and good pacing at parkrun. Nice food pic.
    Badbark - PMA? Just be careful you don't blow it now.
    Leslie - pleased things are looking more promising for you.
    AR - thanks for the best wishes.
    Lorenzo - healing vibes coming your way. Hope a bit of tlc will take care of it.
    Was hoping to get out on the bike this morning, but a flat has put paid to that. Not sure if I've been overdoing the exercises over the weekend but struggled a bit with the dips last night. Better again this morning, but hop test still not 100%.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

hops and dips- hand in there Gul image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

TAR - nice 9. Little flying things are the bane of summer running.

OO51 - a very solid weekend from you with a quick parkrun and solid LR.

GM - your 5 mile trail run sounds lovely.

CC2 - take the PBs whatever they are! You know there's plenty more to come off that.

PMJ - Parkruns, tarts and a quick 10k. Good weekend.

BB - very speedy parkrun given last week's mileage. As PMJ says, the 100k is your A race, so don't compromise it.

CH - nice steady miles.

Leslie - good to see you ticking over again.

Lorenzo - bad timing with your ankle. Ice & support bandage as required!

Gul - keep up those rehab exercises. There's still hope.

Got my 10 in early doors on Saturday, and then enjoyed a surprisingly comfortable win in the afternoon on our first outing in Hants County 4 (got promoted at the end of last season). A couple of wickets, a catch and a few runs for me, so a good day all round. Nothing exercise-wise to report from yesterday, possible opportunities got overtaken by plumbing, a picnic in the Forest and ironing! image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PMJ - Great 10k running and place

Lorenzo - Sending you magic vibes to heal you injury! image

Thanks for the advice about racing Newry on Sunday. I think you are all correct and it's not really worth the risk so I'll keep a lid on the pace.

Here's a video I made of the Causeway Crossing 50k Ultra Marathon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7BwBtZaVk  

• CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Nice placing PMJ, what was the prize?

Prize was £30 voucher at a sports shop I use and a bottle of wine. Just about covered the entry fee and transport costs.

Badbark, your video seems to be time elapse videos. Did you camera do that automatically?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Looking strong Badbark. Don't overdo it at the final hurdle though - bigger prize and all that. Your diet looks interesting but there is a disappointing lack of cheese pasties.

Healing and mojo vibes to Lorenzo, Gul and Leslie. image 

Welcome to Mr Hamster and Mr Frizzle.

After a bad week all round with seemingly nothing going right I had a glorious cycling and running weekend in the sun. More of this please!