Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• 10k pairs relay last night so 5*1k with 1k rest for the other runner. Times were 3:27.5, 3:33.5, 3:37.9, 3:39.5, 3:39.0  which is 17:57 for a 5k so good pace over a tight course that filled up with lapped runners pretty quickly. First leg was probably a bit exuberant but it worked out well as it sorted the places out pretty quickly and my partner and I came home in third place over a half minute ahead of fourth with a combined 10k time of 34:53.

Easy parkrun tomorrow and then 10k on Sunday at Staines.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

10k for me at Staines too.

I won't be running a parkrun on Saturday. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Quick reps again Dean. 

Good luck at Fairfield Bus and a good run out there too Phil. 

Looks like Sunday is the thread 10k outing. Manchester for me. If I had some beliefe I might give Bekele his first taste of defeat on the road in over 12 years. 

• ric, what sort of form you in? I'd like to be round 6 minute pace on the nose all way so 37.xx

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, my last track race was a comfortable 6 minute mile pace (PO10).

I detect some improvement but if I can operate at around the same pace I'll be happy enough.

🙂

• BMAF relays today we came 2nd v45 I ran fastest leg for my team and 7th fastest v45 overall in 15.59 which was 49 secs faster than last year image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Great running Rob. Some progression there, the training definitely paying off! 

• Good progress there Rob. Any plans for a summer mile?

• Phil I didn't but someone has broken my V45 record and I'm contemplating could I get it back!!! 

• robT wrote (see)

Phil I didn't but someone has broken my V45 record and I'm contemplating could I get it back!!! 

Yep, 5 seconds off which is a big chunk. Is that a serious effort? Good time of the year to set out on such a plan, gives you two or three months on the track getting the speed up and then find a track meet with a mile on a late summer evening.

Looks like he had a good race with plenty others so it wasn't a solo time trial.

http://www.britishmilersclub.com/content/bmcitemdisplay.aspx?itemid=982

Do you have good mile races up north? The BMC seems to have all theirs down south. Guess Leeds Golden mile?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good luck to those 10king tomorrow. I shall be joining in the fun, hoping it goes a bit better than last week.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Go for it RobT.

Just looked him up and that must wet the appetitie seeing how much he's competed abroad and at world masters etc. 

• I will give it more thought end of June as first plan is to go sub 16 for 5k and then BMAF 5k champs 16/6 after that I'll see how legs are holding up and then think wether legs will stand up to track!! Maybe I could get Dean to help image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob, congrats on the relay.  There is a mile in sale on 19th July. My plan is to be there and hope to beat my PB which would be on pace for you to reclaim your ranking too. We can work together and both PB image

• Staines 10k today. Scores on the doors are 38:08 in very hot sunshine and 5th overall and some sort of vet win but nobody is quite sure which colour.

Got to the race on time, sorted out chip and chatted to a lot of club-mates, friends and part time rivals. The event is a club champs race so we were trying to work out our fastest 4 for the team prize but all the fast lads were away so we weren't sure who would make it. Got to the start and overall situation didn't look very different: no familiar looking fast faces on the start line. Gun goes and Rob Foster was away and I was in second with a fast start and expecting the hordes to stream past. By 1km mark things had settled down and I was in 4th and it just seemed that there were no fast ones about.

ricF came up on my shoulder at about 2k and we were in a small bunch and at about 2.5k he passed me and I followed him. By 4k we were clear in 4th and 5th and all thoughts of a time were gone and it was just a race. I pushed on from 4k to 7k but ric came past at 7k and I just didn't have the mental energy to work hard as  I was sure I had the V40 scene sewed up and ric is V50 so I held station and came home a handful of seconds behind him.

Usual fiasco with prizes when you get vets finishing ahead of seniors and high age group vets finishing ahead of younger vets.

Overall happy with the outcome. 80% is still alluding me but to be fair I am not targeting the races enough yet so each race is really just a hard session to get the legs moving over faster. I have a 5k on Friday and will probably skip one this Tuesday so maybe will be fresher for that.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well done Phil and Ric. You fared a lot better than myself.

Manchester 10k today. if it could go wrong, it did. Forgot my chip so had to jog back to the car. Wasn't any panic to make the start though as I'd left plenty of time. 

met Stevie for the first time I and we was in the front pen so at least no runners to weave past. We ended up stood on the start line for 40 mins or so I think as the start was delayed. Very crowded when the gun went and set my watch off. Someone must have then caught it as we were running and I realised it had paused. Went through the first km and realised I was 0.75 on my watch but on pace. 5.11 first mile and comfy. 

ended up running isolated and there was a decent headwind and the sun was baking. Second mile in 5.21 and so was the 3rd. Head was burning, lungs were burning a bit more, the legs even more so. Noticed a couple of drop outs and when I couldn't bridge the gap to the small group in front I stepped aside bang on the 6km marker thinking fuck it. 

5.76 on my watch due to the start fiasco in 19.03. I'd have needed a miracle to break 33 and I'm not flogging my arse off to limp over in 34. Walks jog/walked back to the finish and a bloke came past who was staggering wildly From Stevies club i think. scott bamber or steve i think. Thought he just had a really unusual gait until he collapsed in front of me and hit his head, cutting it open. Ended up staying with him, giving him some water until the paramedics came. It was bloody hot and not ideal for an albino like myself.

got a 5k on wed and going to stop chasing the 10k time for a bit. Not enjoying the racing side of it at all, must be putting too much pressure on myself. Few 5ks and a few races on the fells I think, hopefully get my mojo back. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good work PMJ and the pace certainly seems to be coming back.

Not to worry Matt, sounds like a nightmare day, one youve just got to write off.

Meanwhile, I ran the Royal Berkshire 10k, a new event, with a rrasonable size field (1500 ish I reckon), but pretty light up front as it turned out. Several times on the warm up i was tempted to piss off home, was absolutely not up for it at all. Anyway, the leader disappeared in a cloud of dust, leaving a fee of us fighting over the scraps. At about halfway I took 2nd place and krpt it to the end. Poor time (34:47), but Id have had to run a PB to challenge the winner anyway, and that wss never going to happen. Decent gap over the people who finished either side of me last weekend.

Anyway, basically thats 10k at what should be my half mara pace, so at least its a good workout. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Just need to find some legspeed from somewhere. And also some mental fortitude, because Im very defeatist at the moment.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice one Dachs, I certainly need a big dose of 'man the fuck up' during 10ks. I'm talking myself into quitting pretty much every one. :-/ 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Don't give up racing due to wonky numbers. By the time you get to my age, merely finishing in one piece is an achievement.

Typed out a race report in word but couldn't post it. Had to do something else. Something Phil would have sorted in his sleep.

Here's the report. As a scanned document.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/img004.png

🙂

• Matt, sounds like you need a change of focus. Easy to get consumed when it's "your" distance!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ironic that around half the cost of the 'speed awareness' course I'm booked on, was paid for out of my ability 'to speed', on foot.

🙂

• A good day's racing it seems. Sounds like Matt and Dachs need a week off or something.

I've had a fairly busy week - flew to Germany Monday AM and got back Thursday night. I would have had time to train over there, but as I raced last Sunday I didn't feel the need to plus my schedule for the week said "swim, sauna, relax".

As Johnas mentioned a few pages back I did PowermanUK down in Sherborne. A lumpy & windy 60km bike sandwiched between 2 "pan-flat" 10km runs. Pan flat if you're blind! Some undulation throughout the town then a large climb back up to transition.

First run I paced steadily at ~41mins as I wanted something in the legs for the rest. I tried to stay with a small group but kept falling off the back.
    Bike was brutally windy and is the furthest I'd cycled since Jan.
    Second run fell apart and the legs refused to work and I ended up limping home in 51mins. I think I know what it is like to hit the wall now, and I don't think I've done a 10km that slow since 2010!
    Despite all this it was good enough for 9th in M35-39 age group. The 10/60/10 is very different to what I am used to racing (5/20/5 or 5/20/2.5).

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

well Done Ric, I wouldn't have minded seeing my own heart rate today. Reading your report had me wondering the last time I ran a road race purely on feel. A long time ago! 

LSH88, you're right. Seems that although I've not raced a lot of 10ks, it's been pretty much 10k sessions since last summer when I did some 5ks. typing to do some 5ks over the summer I think. Snowdon race in July too so might get off road and hilly for a while too. 

• FFS - lost a longgish decent post... i'll be brief

Grrr

- I still lurk and keep an eye on things so some good racing around and speedy stuff by a few ;0 ! 

Phillip + Ric a good battle 10KM - 

Iron - Never saw how you got on after the illness but the powerman seems tough, would love to do a Duathlon. Good result even with undesirable figures so confidence booster IMO

Matt + Dachs - Not sure what's on your radar Dachs as you seem to be doing longer stuff but I think Matt you could get a huge boost doing some big quality harsh short speed work sessions and trying out some shorter things for a while.. 

I agree with a week off too .. I don't think I've seen either of you take a cut back week (other than taper for VLM) Reducing things by 50% over 7-9 days will help and something I found has been good to me..or even completely forget about running for 4-5 days, plan a comeback day and a steady run / big session to aim for over 2 days but in between pick up something you can challenge yourself over... 

Like those 30 day ab challenges all the girls want to do image 

Even something silly It'll either get you into a good habit you'll continue or you may find you want to kick start that running again with the benefit of the recovery

One thing I learnt from my poker days - It's easy to play 10,000 hands and forget ALL the good hands dealt to you and won.. but the one time you lose when you really shouldn't THAT's the one that stays in your mind .. Just take a step back and look at the last few results from each of you! 

Good going allround I say! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Good point Scott. Just looked at my Garmin and I averaged 5.19 min miling for 3.58 miles. It will be around the 4 mile mark though due to my watch pausing for a 1/4 mile at the start so on reflection it wasn't a disaster. Looking at others times to they were down. Ian Mcbride ran 32.30 whereas he's usually mid 31s. Think I saw Lemoncello run 33.10! 

Ive ran a lot of easy weeks recently with my last outdoor track session over two weeks ago. One long run since the 26 April. (14 miles) think some 5ks and some shorter should help me along with some tempos! I need to make them a habit! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good going Ric, good to see you bagging the V50 trophy.

It does look like Rob had a lonely run at Staines!

Imprrssive stuff Ironcat, sounds a nasty one, and a different order of pain to what Im used to.

Very sensible words Scott, particularly the poker analogy. In terms of time off, Ive actually been running very little recently, most of it easy, in recovery from VLM.

Generally, Ive been harsh on myself these last 2 races. Its 5 weeks now since VLM. After Berlin in 2012, I didnt race for 7 injury-hit weeks. After Abingdon, I didnt race on the road for more than 4 moknths (although I did run a very poor xc race 5 weeks after Abo. I didnt t

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oh I cant type anything on this stupid phone. Every time I grt past a certain word count my cursor disappears. Anyway, you get the gist - I have never previously tried to race the month after a marathon, and if I had I wouldve fared just as badly.

• Do it Dachs. No midweek running. See how you fair. I'd seen the Berks 10k advertised but we're fillip weekends with races and it was too soon after last weekend. We are both racing an inaugural 10k near my parents' and then I'm planning on some of the Yately series. Are you defending this year? 

Scott -  that is how I got on image I had a few false starts then managed 9wks of easy training,  with a single parkrun effort and an single 10mi bike TT in that time. How's life with you? 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

38:32 today in Manchester, got to 5K in 18:24 a very broken man and already nearly at a stand still. So hot I thought my head was going to burst, very nearly binned it as I got really dizzy a few times and my breathing got a bit frantic.

Might have all next week off. I think I'm using all my effort to train and then the tank is empty. I dunno.

Rob, really pleased for you and it's great to see you smashing it and the injuries are truly in the past.

Well done to Dachs and Phil for toughing it out in the heat and fairing better than me and Matt! Nice to meet you today mate!