Sunday 18th May

Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Well this is a first!!

Lyrics: Cruising through block island sound

What: Tri tri tri

It is a bit chilly at the moment, hope it warms up a bit over the next few hours! 

See ya on the flip side guys! Have a great day

Comments

• Morning dibs

Aw ra best for your Tri

Really busy day yesterday.

Need to catch up.

Back later

• Morning.

Go Dibs!

Good news Blisters.

No White Peak RFJ?

Nice report OH. Hope you enjoyed the ceilidh.

Have you had your neck looked at Gobi?

What:           unsure - run or ride
    Why:            forecast is great for today but gets worse as the week progresses
    Last hard:    riding up Portesham Hill
    Last rest:     12/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

Now catch up over brekkie.

Rest Day for me today, but have just walked Geordie for 45mins.

Coffee calling

Lyrics: Nope.

• Catching up

nzc: Glad you enjoyed the Peter Snell documentary footage. Thanks for that info

OH: Well done.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Morning all,

What a treat - I stick my beak in and by gum, many of you are still here, still doing great stuff.  Like keeping going.

And achieving stuff.  OH - Cape Wrath marathon bravo!  Pammie, RFJ, Park runs.  Go well Dibs3690! LMH doing tri stuff and aiming for Abo.  

Me? The short story: hip problem which was exacerbated by running stopped training following last years Saunders Lakeland MM, did manage to do a walking demi-tour of Mont Blanc in September.  Change of neuro quack consultant, new broom decided it didn't look like Parkinson's to her, thus sparking off a 6 week attempt to do without the meds, 6 weeks of trying the various meds in various combinations to see to what extent they were useful, and 4 months trying to get my head back after being told that it was "all in my mind", "a bit of stress".

Eventually succeeded in getting my head screwed on properly again (it took only 4 months; first time through it took that many years), started dealing with the consequences of 6 months of walking like a duck with two left feet.  GP very supportive; agreed that consultant's advice need not be followed, full access to previous chemical assistance.

So it's been catchup time.

Signed up to do SLMM with partner again.  Been slogging away since Feb trying to get back on top of it.  Stairs training is going fine, marginally better than last year.  Without the backpack can achieve a stunning pace of 12 min/mile.  With the pack it's a bit discouraging: 14 -15 minute miling.  That wouldn't be disaster if I could keep it up, but I haven't managed a decent run over 2 hours yet.  I seize up like lots wife, and that's with chemical assistance.  That's significantly worse than last year.

Not yet giving up hope of at least starting the SLMM.  Whether I get there or not, maintaining the fiction that I am a runner has been the mainstay of my survival as me.  

So I shall get out this morning and see how we go.  Reading your reports make my feet itch to get in trainers.

Btw - kids (our PhD students, that is) gave me a magnificent retirement present - variation on the theme of carriage clock - 

- a garmin!

• Stickless, it's good to hear that you are still hanging on and keeping going, although the battles do seem to be familiar. Great news subtly slipped in at the end there: enjoy your retirement!

• Morning all

What 21+

Why first LSR since London

Lyrics no

Dibs all the best with your tri today.

Stickless nice to see you back again.

OH sounds like a good time in the far North, hope you can remember your results after the ceilidh.

Gobi given what you've been through the last couple of years it must be a great feeling to be winning again.

Lovely morning with great views over the meadow. Supposed to be taking pp's 3 & 4 up Whitehorse hill for a picnic later.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

Hello all.  Been a bit absent but you've all been busy.  Wins, PBs and first in categories.  By 'eck it's good to see!

And Stickless - how wonderful to see you.

On Friday I did a hill session, same hill as last week but one extra rep.  Spits acceptable. 

Yesterday I put my garmin into distance only visible mode and headed off for a 'run as you want to' 9 miles and was pleased to see average pace for that of 10 m/miling for a reasonable av HR.  It felt OK.  It felt a lot slower - not sure if that's a good thing or not!

Today I did 10 miles, trying to keep it easy although the heat did mean my HR was fairly high come the end.  Av pace 10:41 - faster than I expected and faster than my planned MP.   Not helped also by a day out yesterday to the theatre, and including a fair bit of wine.

Taper for Kent Roadrunner starts - 2 weeks should do it.

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Arvo guys!

L O V E D  every single second of it!! I came 8th female.

The report!

I felt good in the morning, more excitement than nervousness and laying all my kick out felt amazing, I felt like I loved it (much more than just pure running,... sorry guys!)

SWIM- 8:13 secs. 

I was the second person (of 7) in the swimming lane, within the first 50m I had overtaken the guy infront of me and then it was swim swim swim! it went really quick and I felt fantastic! My actual swimming time was 7:56, but I had to try and get out off the pool afterwards (ungraceful.. but did the trick).

BIKE- 52:28 mins

Mind the hill!!! I mean it was never ending! I passed quite a lot of people, got passed by half a dozen men with their speedy bikes and chunky thighs! The hill was relentless and my quads burned. But I kept in a low gear and enjoyed it!

RUN- 26:19 min

Don't think at T2, just get off and run! The track was off-road. First 1km was a bit weird.. felt un-coordinated and tired. Legs warmed up after that, I wasn't running very quick and felt at the end that I could have given it more over the last 2 km.. but kept it steady and finished with a massive smile!

Total time: 1hr 28:59

I enjoyed every single minute of it and am thrilled at my first attempt! there will be plenty more to come after this! I think I have found my thing!!

• Well done Dibs - you're enthusiasm shines through in your report.

Congratulations on your retirement Stickless. Such a shame the consultant put you through such a hard time but great to hear that you're still running. Hope you'll be a regular visitor again.

Hope you have a nice picnic postie. Great day for it.

I chose a LSR in the end and it was a hot, hot, hot 20 miles. I'm not complaining though!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Great to see you Stickless, complete with "carriage clock"! Had never viewed a Garmin like that! And don't forget to post your progress.

Dibs: really glad you enjoyed it! You may have indeed found "your thing".

What: officiate at BUPA Manchester 10k. Jogged a couple of 100 metres and quickly decided that would do the hamstring no favours. So stretched quite a bit.

Off to the East Mids to see mum in hospital.

Lyrics: thanks for setting them, Dibs, but no idea!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Never made it t out for a picnic in the end. However, I do have an agreement in principle on the Robin Hood marathon so may well be able to pace you at circa 7:20's for Abo LMH image

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Just found out I am actually 5th place in senior female cat (some speedy vets apparently!). image

I even pick these lyrics as they are a bit 'oldie'... thought it would make it easier image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done today Dibs, sounds brilliant and great report. image

OH, cracking pb and race report too, well done that man!

6.1 miles this morning in Liverpool, from Speke to the lighthouse at Hale head and back. Nice place to run.

Currently sitting at Lancaster services as the M6 is closed northbound image Such is life on this road.

Lyrics, nope.

Welcome back Stickless, good to hear from you.
  • What: swim (short dip) and walk along beach. Heading home now

why: full day yesterday (saw the ceilidh out to auld lang syne)

last hard: I suppose yesterday although Monday's half strangely felt harder

last rest: Friday 

lyrics: no

sounds like you had a a ball of a time Dibs and a great result too

• Only if it doesn't cause you any trouble postie.

Safe journey OH.

Hope yours has resumed Donaldo.

Hope mum is getting better Alehouse. Sorry to hear that the hamstring is still so bad.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Excellent Dibs, great effort and great report

LMH - sadly no white peak, whilst the Doc said I could run, it was the camping and not knowing where the local facilites were if my pins and needles took a turn for the worse.

They haven't yet but still have them, entered in to a local 10k this morning, hot and rather undulating fundraising event £8 no frills with a Jazz Band and hog roast in the pub after... Splits 7:20, 7:14, 7:19, 7:25, 7:04, 7:32, 1:17, showing just how far I am away from where I need to be. 45:13 and still think that was good for a top 10 finish... 12m for the day....

Tested the ground for hardness again.... its still hard

Take care

• Afternoon All,

Hey Stickless!  I was wondering what had happened to you. 

Dibs:  Awesome!

I've lost 8lbs since March.  Still a long way to go, but that's 4 bags of sugar less I have to lug around

• What:  longish jog along the test way
    • Why:  reducing Tata&Lyle's shareholding in me
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  Yesterday

Have a good one!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, 
    OH – excellent. Sounds like a brilliant race!
    Pammie – good work with the PR
    RFJ – well raced
    Blisters – a win is a winimage
    postie, mava – nice runs
    stickless – hello! Enjoy the retirement
    Dibs – brilliant! Very well done. 

what - Local 10 miler. Plan was to go for something like 7.40 m.mile pace and see how the legs held up. Halfway in 37:40, hamstrings tightened last mile but gritted teeth and finished in 73.39, so surprisingly decent pace the last 5.
    nearly 4 mins down on last year but given recent training I'm more than happy with the outcome. Enjoyed the run and weather too was a bonus.
    why - its 5 minute walk from my front door
    last rest - yesterday in the end - managed to dodge both 3k flat and s/chase! Eldest just 20cms off a pb in the TJ, which given it was her first jumps since September and she's mid GCSEs was pleasing. And she got 3 further jumps as 2nd "A" scorer.
    last hard - last 800m this morning
    lyric - don't think so
    yesterdays words were "can we dance?" by the Vamps (my youngest's favourites).

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

I had the wonderdul (cough) experience of a massage at the University sports club tonight. Goodness me! elbow in the hip was the worse and forearm down the ITB. My legs ache like mad things now, but I have a feeling I will feel better for it tomorrow.

Thanks for all your encouragement guys! It has been a tough 6 months for me and today was the best day I have had in a long time.

Hey Stickless, sounds like you have a hell of a story! Battle on!

• I've one booked for tomorrow Dibs, I'll probably swear and may cry...........

• Home now after great week away image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Stickless great to hear  from you I have wondered how you were  doing. Lovely retirement  present . You  are still fighting good on you

Dibs that's a great  performance today you have found your thing

What: 2.07 miles
    Why: Taking it slow - best mileage since march 15.1 this week
    Last Hard: First half mile, always the first half mile
    Lyrics No

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Stickless - enjoy your retirement!

Dibs - sounds like lots of fun - well done.

OH - plenty of recovery for you.

Dustin - good running.

AF - well done on the weight loss - that will help heaps.

What: Walk home from the cafe.

Why: rest day.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Evening all,

AF, mava! my word, it just gets better and better.

Dibs - excellent tri.  Really glad you enjoyed it.  I've only done one, but really enjoyed that one too.  Alas, piracy just wasn't compatible with life at the time, probably isn't now either.

-retirement - that's not quite complete - down to 20%, but January seemed a good time to have the party with the kids, as, having less responsibility for nagging them and snapping at their heels, I will inevitably not know the coming lot as well as I have got to know those who have been around awhile.  Still engaged in some very trying work attempting to put some of the programmes I started into the System.  Very frustrating, but well worth the trouble if I succeed, so, one tries.

Didn't in fact get a run today, did get an 8 mile walk in with Mr. S.  Really pleased though.  Running 8 miles on Friday felt horrid, no other word for it.  Today, just walking, legs felt good, the whole way.  It is a glimmer of hope that the combination of aggressive stair training to get some strength back in legs, together with continuing efforts to run the distance will result in improvement.  Undoubtedly legs hurt less now than they did three months ago, and far less than they did six months ago.  Maybe, if, on the day, I can keep effort down and take things steady, I might not only start at the SLMM but finish as well.

Dream on all.