Stopped smoking.. Need to get fit for the army!

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me please, I'm 22 & have just stopped smoking (2nd day smoke free) after nearly 8yrs of about 15 a day.

My main goal now is to get fit & re-apply for the Army. I say re-apply, as I was medically differed last year from a hernia operation I gave myself lifting a heavy weight on my legs at the gym.

Anyways, I'm fully healed, given up smoking and ready to put the hard work & time into training now. I'll be honest, the smoking has done me over a treat really, I'm not very fit when it comes to any kind of distance, I'm fast over short distance, but I can barely run a mile.

So I have two main goals,

My first goal is to get to the right fitness to be able to run 5km.

& My second goal is to get my 2.4km (1.5mile) run down to at least 10.30min.

Any help is massively appreciated!!

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Hmmmm....

You can always tell who is in the military at races..... they are the ones who have a cigarette after they finish the race.

Training wise, find a training plan on the internet and try and stick to it. I know it is dull and boring but regular consistent training in all weather is the way forward (in my opinion). Whether you need to run well will depend on which regiment you are intending to join image

Getting used to running with a few Kg's on will help as well, good luck....

• Hi SideBurn,

Thank you for the reply. I have officially chucked in the fags & I've got to be honest I'm feeling great so far, although I have had a couple cravings, it hasn't actually bothered me.

With regards to regiment I'm undecided as I have had a rethink & changed a few options etc.

but regardless, I want to be able to run 2.4km in less than 10.30.

I'll have a look on the internet, see what training programmes I come across & will work hard at it.

Thank you again.
  • I know a chap who smokes 20 per day and recently ran a sub 32 10k.....not helpful but thought i'd mention it.  I quit smoking 4 years ago and one of the best things I ever did.  I was smoking 30 per day and 20 marlboro red were 5.40 at the time, helped the bank balance a fair bit.

• Bloody hell, good on the lad. I used to be fit, I used to do a lot of stuff like boxing for 3yrs & bit of running, cycling, but the last year has been rough and I've just not done a bloody thing and now suffering for it. I'm going out for a run at 6.30 so will see how far I get and what happens, just going to take it at a steady pace down the cycle path near me.

Yeah that's heavy smoking, bugger that haha. Yes I'm looking forward to having a bit of a better bank balance & lighter pockets not crammed with lighters, rizzla, filters & tobbaco ha.
  • Mrs NoelMrs Noel ✭✭✭
    Concentrate on overall base fitness. Do solid mileage and add speed work once you're comfortable running in general. Do circuits and strength also.
  • Mrs NoelMrs Noel ✭✭✭
    I would add, having read up, nail your run regardless of cap badge. In basic life will be easier in general and you are less likely to get back squaded or injured if your fitness is squared away. If I'm right guessing you're male you will need to be below 10:30 to pass your PFA, 09:30 for infantry if I remember correctly. They will ease you in to carrying weight. Be careful if you plan to do that alone.
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I have been trying to find the NHS site that tells you how long it takes to recover from smoking. Whilst I have never been a smoker I can see how hard it is to quit. There is some good stuff on here, or what I as a non-smoker thinks is good image

http://www.nhs.uk/smokefree

As above, being able to run will help regardless of regiment; in a regiment where you learn a skill RE, REME etc. being able to run well is useful. If you want to do P company then not being a strong runner is going to be a problem.

But do not forget that even the RAF let you do 9 hours paid pt a week image

I agree with the comment about being careful about carrying weight, it is a great way to injure yourself. If you do start light and carry leakproof water containers. That way you can pour some water away if you need to image