Does every runner have the potential to run 1.5 miles in 7 minutes flat

My PB is 9:18 which I did last December with 3 months training. I'm 6 foot, 165 pounds, 21 years old and I eat very healthily.

Comments

• How would I go about achieving a 7 minute run time? Thanks

• out of interest...why have you picked that distance and that time as your aim

• Every runner - no. You - possibly, given your age.

But, as Seren says, why that distance and time? Seems a bit arbitrary.

• I'm applying for the Army next year. You have to run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes and 30 seconds initially but it helps to be as fit as possible once you get to basic training and I'm a competitive person image

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

9:30 would be good enough for the Paras. You could put a load of work into hitting 7 mins but it would be pointless if you fail the rest of the tests (chinup etc).

If you are quick, Maybe better to target 9mins and while also making sure you tick all those boxes?

• a 7 minute time for 1.5 miles ?

Do you want to be a skinny distance runner or a Paratrooper ? You can't do both I reckon.
  • In theory, only 15% of 21yo runners could be better than this (let alone the general population) according to the results of a WAVA calculator eg http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-wava.php?d=1.5&u=miles&h=0&m=7&s=0&g=m&a=21

• OK then. Given your reason: as others have said, just not necessary or worth the effort you would need to put in.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The difference between 10.30 and 7.30 for the 1.5 mile test is huge in ability terms.

The amount of training you would have to do would be huge and for no real benefit for a paratrooper.
  • SteveCRunner wrote (see)

In theory, only 15% of 21yo runners could be better than this (let alone the general population) according to the results of a WAVA calculator eg http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-wava.php?d=1.5&u=miles&h=0&m=7&s=0&g=m&a=21

That's not how WAVA works.  85% means he's running at 85% of the speed of the 'world best' for that age.  It's got nothing to do with the proportion of people who could do it.

That said, 85% is a high score.  Very few runners of any age will ever get a score that high over any distance, a lot less than 15%!

• Nayan @cougie I know someone who can ran 1.5 miles in 7 minutes and 15 seconds and he has fairly good strength.

• I'm going to give it a go, I can always adjust the calories I'm taking in. I'll just have to keep an eye on my upper body strength.

• I guess it will be handy for running away ? Is this for the Italian Army ?
  • I would be careful with training..........if you try and push yourself too hard and too fast to get to this time you will increase your chances of getting injured..and then might even fail the basic tests......

what are your priorities at the moment

• cougie Not even close, Antarctican Army actually. I reckon I'll be on my own.

• @seren nos

Thanks for advice, I'll work my way back up to around 9:18 again and take it from there. My priorities running wise are just to get my 1.5 mile run time down to the lowest time possible and do a 10 mile run by the end of the year.

• Has Samir got another account now?

• Thanks, Dave, I'm so used to working with percentiles it catches me out when they're not

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

zekde.  I'm not saying that everyone who runs 7 mins will be skinny and unable to lift a man out of a burning tank Or whatever.

what I'm saying is that blitzing the running part of your assessment matters less than passing the rest of it. If you are confident on all those aspect go ahead and work on your running. If not then be fast enough to make the run a foregone conclusion but dont bother with a 7 min target. 

• I agree with Nayan - you are not trying to become a great runner you are trying to become a paratrooper. Different goals, different requirements. 

• BeerSwillerBeerSwiller ✭✭✭

Targets are there to be met not broken, even if you've got a 7 minute run in you it would be pretty pointless, military training especially basic is about meeting a standard to build on, it's far better to get through each test comfortably than blitz one and struggle with the rest, making sure you've always got a bit left in the tank for whatever they throw at you next will serve you better than blasting round the run in 7 minutes.

• Screamapillar I don't plan on joining the Paratroopers.

• As someone who is in recruit training with the Royal Marines Reserve (don't look down anyone - the tests for entry and passing out are the same for both regular Royal Marines and those in the Reserve) I can give you a little more information (perhaps) than you may have receive (sorry if anyone else has military experience, but the answers here aren't taking into account a few factors). You'll probably hate me for this, but as you aren't going for Paratroopers (good shout) but you are still going to be a pongo you may not have to have that kind of fitness at any time during your training or career, unless you want to go into special forces - but that is another discussion entirely. Our entry tests are 1.5 miles in 12:30 and then a second in under 10:00 - most people blitz the second run and get sub 9:00. There are many people saying you don't need that level of fitness and you should instead concentrate on upper body strength - very true. But if you scrape the entry tests I can almost guarantee you that you will not be ready for what follows; the fitness curve, so to speak, is dramatic with us and I imagine it is similar in the Army. However, it would be bloody good to attain that level of fitness if only for the mental attributes you will gain in tandem. The main aspect of military life people fail to adapt to, or even consider for that matter, is the mental side of it. Not just in fitness, but in going almost non-stop for 16/17 hours a day. In that respect it would be a cracking idea to be able to have that level of mental resilience. Excuse the waffle here, I just thought I would give you a detailed answer. FINALLY, one of the major aspects of muscular strength you will need to acquire is that of being able to "yomp" (or maybe this is just RM, as we do have a tradition in it and a dreadful 30 miler at the end of training), something that you cannot train for outside of the Armed Forces (short of putting on a bergen full of rocks and walking for 8 hours).

To round off a fairly long and boring as **** answer, try to get that fitness as much as you can, but retain your ability to do a few pull ups, press ups and what-not.

If you have any questions about getting there just ask.

• * Also, forgot to mention that although targets are there to be met, as has been mentioned, if you just meet those targets and then decide all is fine and dandy and you'll just sit there watching everyone else work until they are asking to go outside to throw up, you will not get in. The training team look for a state of mind that says you will do everything to the best of your ability and will be looking for that to be reflected in you exceeding every target with a red face and grunts like a prehistoric caveman having a "good time" (although they will hate the noises and make sure you're aware of that, they will know you're going all out).

• Amazing answer thanks a lot. I'll actually be applying for the Royal Engineers, the Paras and Commando courses or something I will definitely look into later on down the line but as of now it'd be thinking too far ahead.

I'm working on upper body strength more than my runs. Getting close to 80 push ups in 2 minutes and I can do 8 to 12 pull ups with good form at the moment.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hang on....what no one has quite laid out, is that 7mins for 1.5miles is exceptional speed.that's 4.40 miling!! Go and try running short reps at that pace, pretty fast.

10mins is mere 6.40 pace which for so short a distance will be massively doable to any lightly trained man
  • It is exceptionally fast, but some greased weasel ****s manage it. In all fairness, the guy who managed it in my troop has run a few marathons and is rather a fit bloke. ZekeDE, those press ups sound hoofing, likewise with the pull ups. If you can maintain those standards and improve sit ups and most importantly running then you will breeze training with the right attitude. Good luck to you.

• Holding 5 minute miles for 10k would give you 31 minutes for10k/6.2 miles. A 15 minute time for 5k is needed  for a 31 minute 10k. 15 min 5k and a 31 min for 10k  would put you on track to break 70 minutes for HM and potentially run a  sub 2 hour and 30 minute marathon.