Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - sounds like a weekend to restore the faith.

Run down to the pool, 6x150m off 1 min recoveries, run back. Glutes & hammies were complaining after cricket, so glad I was swimming and not running further!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Hope it heals quickly Lorenzo.

SJ - it was a glorious weekend.

Chester Half for me yesterday, knew I shouldnt have bothered due to calf still not being 100% but did and raced for 5 miles until the pain in my calf got to a 'you really should stop now level, combined with the crazy heat and the fact that I was struggling to hold the pace at 6.10mm decided to live to fight another day and stopped. Never done this before. I stretched out for a few minutes and decided to jog back. Hooked up with the 1.30 pacer and ran in with them for a nice training run.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Men: would that be the 1.30 pacer with the green mohican?  If so, he sometimes posts on the sub-3 thread.

• Abbers - nice run and surely MoM in the cricket! image

Lorenzo and Gul, hope healing is quick; looks like the 'Hamster joins the thread' jinx has struck with Menn too image

PMJ - NICE prize!! I'm a long way off such lofty heights, though I think I've found a 10k where top 20 may be possible; it attracts about 30 entrants and a fair proportion of those take over the hour...

20 x200m fast with 200m jog recoveries on the dreadmill tonight.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Menn that is a wise decision and a hard one I know. Only dropped out once or twice in a long career but not worth the risk.

6 mile recovery today. Felt surprisingly fresh and the injuries OK, can't remember such a good spell in the last couple of years. Off to Paris for the week so could be down hill from here....

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

In that case I totally blame you Crashimage - Seriously though I have a strange smug feeling for deciding to slow , as I have a reputation for being a little gung ho. I feel ok today and have a 5k on Friday so it was unquestionably an easy decision, which it would need to be for me to take it.

Jools - indeed it was, although he stopped pacing at around mile 8 or 9 I think  and handed over to the second 1.30 pacer who had stopped after 5 but due to it being out and back skipped the middle few and picked up the flag from the green haired chap on the way back. When they passed me there was about 30 of them but by the end there was only two of us left being myself and another chap who normally runs 1.23 but was coming back from injury. I think the heat yesterday was worth 2-3 mins and a tough, tough day to be chasing a pb.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - sounds like a good weekend with the possible exception of ironing!
    SJ - and a good one for you too - hurray!
    Mennania - at least you gave it a go.
    CH - dreadmill reps - argh!
    OO - bon voyage.
    Still making small improvements. Hoping the leg should be pain free by the end of the week. Not sure what I'll do then, because from previous experience I know that if I go straight out and run on it, I'll be back to sqaure one. But how long should I leave it? 3 years ago, it took 11 weeks in total before I was off the bench. But once it was only 3 weeks (other leg though). And could a small bit of exercise actually speed a full recovery? Well, I'm not even 100% yet so no point fretting!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Mennania-sounds like my last half , still 1:30 is a nice time.

Crash -the 10k sounds promising 

Gul- Id be trying a  3 miler very easy and see where you are at , if its too sore you can stop.

15 steady miles for me yesterday ,last longish run legs a bit sore today but just muscle soreness so all good.image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Menn - sounds like a tough day at Chester, but you clearly made the right decision. 90 mins is still a time some of us would give a lot to achieve!

Crash - thanks. Sadly, there were 2 others with greater MotM claims though; one with 2 wickets, 5 catches and a few runs, and a 17 year old who took 4-19 on debut for us. Good speed and volume in your dreadmill sesh.

OO51 - going very nicely at the moment. Is Paris for work?

Gul - could you ramp back up with some bike work before trying too much running mileage?

Leslie - good 15, you sound more confident again. Excellent.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Not meant as a moan....

My right Achilles has been showing small signs of recovering. I'm able to bear full weight on the toes and have managed a bit of jogging about over the last couple of weeks. Things were looking up.  But don't you know it, walking up some stairs yesterday I received what felt like a hot knife to the left Achilles so now can barely walk.  It was probably only a fibre or two but is pretty swollen. Now I'm back at square 1. I will see if I can get anywhere with more intrusive treatments this time around.

I'm calling it a day on the running front for the foreseeable future; it is time to give up the fight. I got away with two years of running without my Achilles relapsing, and am satisfied that I gave it everything I could, even if my methods were not always text book.

So, for now it is au revoir from me, and all the best of running to you

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that AR, hope you can sort out that bloody Achilles of yours. All the best.

Gul I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you, how long is it to your marathon?

Well I've been doing plenty of running and plenty of lurking as I seem to be too busy at work and family life has taken a bit of a blip at the moment. Plus posting from my phone is a pain in the arse.

Healing vibes to those that are benched and the rest of you keep up the great training and racing.

Welcome to the new folks.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

AR - so sorry to hear that. You've got some impressive PBs in the last couple of years while your Achilles has cooperated, and have proven that you're quick when your body allows. Fingers crossed for you that something more aggressive will fix the problem and you'll be back on here in due course, all guns blazing. Best wishes for whatever comes next.

Moof - "plenty of running" sounds promising, hopefully work isn't intruding on family life too much. What's lined up for you race-wise, or is it just ticking over for now?

1.25 warm up, 2 x 1 mile (6:15, 6:14), 1.25 cool down. Had planned on doing 3 or 4 mile reps, but was really struggling after 2 so cut it short. Clearly not fit enough at the moment, and have some work to do. AR's news puts it all into perspective though.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

AR: sorry to hear that and healing vibes to the AT.

• Anyone hearrd from Marrows who was supposed to do Richmond marathon on Sunday, hot, hot, hot!

Track at lunchtime today, 6x800m with 400 jog recovery, came out as 2:59.3, 2:58.1, 2:58.7, 2:58.6, 2:57.8, 2:59.2 and was aiming sub 3 so mission accomplished.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

AR - I hope you find a solution to the pain that is the AT. I know the knife is probably most peoples idea of a nightmare but FWIW a good friend of mine who played alot of basketball & football  has had sugery on both in the past 2 years. The 1st was very successful and the second was 4 weeks ago and he is recovering really well. Funnyilly, the other day I saw him flying up the road o a mobility scooter and I did a double take I called him to see if it really was him, it was. He then told me that it's great fun and he took his husky out for a walk along the seafront and the battery died. He was stranded 3 miles from home, passers-by were shocked and amused  to see a husky sitting on a young bloke's lap in a mobility scooter! His Mrs had to come rescue him.image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

AR image Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't be a permanent benching. We'll miss hearing about your exploits.... Good luck!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Anyone hearrd from Marrows who was supposed to do Richmond marathon on Sunday, hot, hot, hot!

Track at lunchtime today, 6x800m with 400 jog recovery, came out as 2:59.3, 2:58.1, 2:58.7, 2:58.6, 2:57.8, 2:59.2 and was aiming sub 3 so mission accomplished.

I think 3:27, I just looked back at her odler posts now and she posts on another thread. I take it the results are slow coming out or you don't know Marrow's real name?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - thats a shame, but wise. Hopefully you can find someone to massage/treat them for you to ge trid of any scar tissue in a Kelly Holmes stylie.

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Anyone hearrd from Marrows who was supposed to do Richmond marathon on Sunday, hot, hot, hot!

I think 3:27, I just looked back at her older posts now and she posts on another thread. I take it the results are slow coming out or you don't know Marrow's real name?

Yep, hunted the results down, just inside 3:27 and first lady.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Abbers- I'm managing to get in 50-60 miles a week at the moment but with a little too much speed work to call it base building. 

I'm racing the Newbury Bayer 10k this Sunday and will be hoping for about 38 mins as it's a bit hilly, with a little off road and is definitely a long course by about 0.2 miles. Well that's my excuses in! image

Then mid June it's time to knuckle down to Abingdon Marathon training, I'm going to follow the P&D 70-85 plan with a couple of tweaks.

• AR, that's rubbish news; hope you can get someone to sort it out for you, intrusively or otherwise.

Moof, plenty of running is always good!

PMJ, lovely fast, consistent reps! Do you keep an eye on your watch as you're doing each rep or is it just down to experience and good pace judgement?

Abbers, damn that young whippersnapper! That's still a couple of sharp miles though.

7 miles easy today at ave HR 136 for just sub 9 min miling. First time this campaign in the 8:xxs

• AR, my sympathies also. Best of luck getting back to comfort in whatever form that takes for you. 

• Well done to Marrows if you're still looking in on this thread. A couple of friends were running it as well and it sounds as though it was pretty warm. Top spot on the podium can't be bad!

AR - don't retire from running just yet. Give it some time and see how pesky Achilles is feeling.

Good bit of excuse management there Moof - all the best on Sunday.

I'm back feeling a bit more confident with regards my sprained ankle. Took another day off running yesterday but got the exercise cycling the 40 miles to and from work. No ankle issues even when trying to extract my feet from the cleats so headed out on 2 legs this morning for a hilly 8 miles or so. Feels a teeny bit tender but I'm planning a MP effort tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Sorry, I went AWOL, preoccupied with other things after London marathon which meant very little training or forum browsing and 2kg extra blubber!

Haven't read all the way back but
    Menn - good decision-making in heat of the moment.
    Nice result PMJ!
    Message to Gul's leg, lorenzo's ankle, AR's bits: sort yourself out.
    Leslie - which marathon are you doing?
    moof, sounds like you've started marathon training early!
    AR - sorry to hear.  What will take the place of running? bet you'll come scampering back..

PMJ, GM, thanks for checking up on me.  Richmond Park marathon this past Sunday was indeed hot, but it was hot for everyone and there weren't many of us so I got a prize!  I will cut and paste my long race report from other thread in a moment.

I'm not sure what to focus on running-wise for the rest of the year.  The obvious thing would be speedwork and 5-10Ks for the summer but my achilles tendons are not perfect so I'm wary of too much speed.  Over the winter I found that high mileage at mostly low intensity let me build fitness without aggravating them too much more.  And shall I try to do something about my pathetically short stride?

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    marrows wrote (see)

Well here's my race report.

It seemed rude not to enter this one as it's a favourite training route and near enough home that I could stroll to the start drinking a cup of coffee. The first nice surprise milling around at the start was that other half had arranged to meet up with some friends and cheer me on. In between cheers they tried to fly a kite - doomed, no wind.  But they had a nice morning out in the sunshine, and it was indeed very cheering to see them every few miles.

I decided beforehand that I'd wear my garmin to look at splits later, but not look at it while running.  With the hills, the heat, and my uncertain fitness, I wouldn't have known what to do with the information anyway.  Please admire my iron will: I didn't look at it once.  I predicted 3:30ish: London time 3:09 + 5 minutes for fatness + 5 or 10 for unfitness + 5 or 10 for the hills and the heat and the small field (I ran long stretches alone).

For the first 3 miles my right leg felt like it was full of gunge and didn't fit in its skin. My breathing was easy, but mechanically, I felt feeble.  At mile 8 I still felt weary and expected not to finish.  By mile 13 I'd forgotten about this, I had 1st and 2nd lady in sight, and I was looking forward to a bust-up. 

During the first half, the woman just ahead of me accelerated sharply each time I pulled up alongside her, then slowed again.  This happened maybe 3 or 4 times.  At mile 14 she abruptly slowed and I passed her for good.  The gap between me and woman 1 closed very gradually and then less gradually until I passed at mile 20, just before the biggest climb; I kicked on up the hill and suddenly felt full of beans. 

Just had to slog it out now, and didn't dare look behind me.  By mile 22 the bean-fullness wore off but I was OK, still chugging along.  Around mile 23 I saw Scott Overall & two other guys, all topless (as mentioned above, Andrews), cruise past in the opposite direction, then caught up with a nice chap I'd run with and chatted with early on.  He said he had 'lost his head' and had started walking.  When I appeared he reattached his head, found he had plenty of energy left, and very kindly ran with me for a mile or two, sometimes jogging backwards to check for chasing ladies (none).  It was a multilap course, full of people training as well as race participants, so it wasn't always clear who you were racing.  About 800m from the finish we noticed another woman just ahead of us, moving at similar pace. My minder ran off ahead to see if she had a number pinned to her, gave me a thumbs up - no bib - and then sprinted off to the finish.   I passed her anyway.  At this point I worried I might get teary, which could interfere with breathing, so I thought about Jeremy Clarkson a bit (a new trick from my sister) while I finished the job. 

Got a good haul of goodies and prizes: mug, a T-shirt that fits, plate big enough for a cake, melted mars bar, and a generous wad of vouchers.  Unfair really: if I was male I'd have had to run about 45 minutes quicker to get all this loot!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

AR that's terrible news, surprised and sad you feel you have to give up running. Of course you know best but I can say I came back slowly from many injury scares and put them behind me. I hope you are being too pessimistic and things turn out better for you.

Yes Abbers, just here on business- brought my kit should I get the chance to use it. image  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows, well done and enjoyed your great report. Sounds like a tough race in very difficult conditions. You are very modest and obviously very tough!

Lorenzo - That sounds positive!

Moof - Good luck with the 6.4 miler!

PMJ - Nice reps!

Crash, Abbers et al good training!

Still very low mileage here, about 20 miles per week. 5.1k Corporate cup run tomorrow, sub 20 & I'd be happy.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    OO-51 wrote (see)

AR that's terrible news, surprised and sad you feel you have to give up running. Of course you know best but I can say I came back slowly from many injury scares and put them behind me. I hope you are being too pessimistic and things turn out better for you.

Yes Abbers, just here on business- brought my kit should I get the chance to use it. image  

Thanks all. OO, it is more of an au revoir til next time. I will aim for a 100 % recovery, and non of this running 1 mile here, a couple of miles there nonsense, and suffering the next day. Then having a moan. Yesterdays latest was probably the wake up call I need. 

I will drag out my optimistic side, and say me and running are on a break, and I hooe for a reconciliation for vlm 2015.

Mrs Ar had some ideas about gardening and diy. Once I'm walking fit, me and the dogs are out of here.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say hello to all. I was marshalling at that marathon on Sunday marrows and it was jolly hot. Well done on your win! Had I known you were racing I would have given you an extra cheer. You might have spotted me with my dog, a Hungarian Vizsla, at the checkpoint at Richmond Gate? 

It must be the fashionable thing to boast a tetchy Achilles currently as both mine have started talking to me. I made the stupid mistake of not being cautious enough when I arrived in the UK and indulging in the glorious running terrain here and, without my usual arsenal of preventative measures (sports massage therapist, hot yoga and sports chiro) have ended up with niggles in both ankles!  Luckily I am getting connected with people with healing hands who can help me here now.

Moving  is better than not I found having had a year off previously and tried everything from a fracture boot to plasma injections, and I think marrows' approach of low intensity miles will be the best approach.

so, you see, AR, you are in good company here? image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I too saw those three topless chaps running with beautiful form in the opposite direction to you...