Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

No I don't think so! Don't know what they do about swimming actually. There is an athletics track I think though. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - Blooming FANTASTIC on getting the job!!!! Whoop whoop! imageimageimage

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pete - the training is making me very tired as well and all I've done is 1 day so far.... It must of been the early morning yesterday that has thrown me so off kilter. How many weeks does it take again to get adjusted for early mornings?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Congratulations MC, you deserve a good school to work at.

mikasa - it takes a couple of weeks. You will soon find that you just wake without the alarm going off

and anyway, leave your window open and the birds will wake you at 4 am - god they are noisy lately!!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Too much traffic where we live. I think I could cope with the window left open but bf can't. Another early morning tomorrow, already dreading it.

• Congratulations MC.

I agree, it takes about two weeks of consistent behaviour for it to become habitual.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

mikasa - once you start doing your running in the morning when it isn't so hot you will love it! No bitey insects either, or as much pollution/pollen....

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

image Well done, MC! (at least you won't regret deciding to interview there rather than the other). I don't know if I could cope in a posh school after all this time ...

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think I've only once run in the morning before brekkie, and that was at the weekend.

Fink Bike 1 intermediate done. image As I can't run yet, I decided that I'd jog/walk up the stairs in our building. 8x 95 steps every second one jogged up and all  jogged down, no rests, 15mins. Have to say my calves were bit wobbly and jelly like afterwards so I think not too bad.

• Congratulations MC hope you love the new job. Everybody's training seems to be going well. I've been following the fink intermediate for 2 full days now.

ps loved the report buttercup

• woo-hoo MC!  well done.  Just google an example resignation letter and don't give in to the urge to say what you think...image 

Mikasa, it does get better...I'm so used to waking up at 5.30am now, that on the days I have a lie in, I get up at 7.30am.  It does mean that at the weekend I can get something done before the rest of the family gets up at 8.30.

...but the tiredness doesn't go away.

pete - yes, I have a nice resignation letter that I copied off a teaching website!

mikasa - going up and down stairs is a bit hardcore!!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC -yeah, I wouldn't want to do that every week, I was sweating like a pig...no windows in the corridor.

Another 6am swim done and therefore a snooze on the train, and I couldn't stop yawning! Still feeling pretty tired and it's quite hot in the office. Talking about hot, the pool was feeling very warm this morning, too warm for swimming. I asked and they said it's 28.1 degrees, is this normal temperature??? Furthest swim as well at 1332 metres and only 2% rest. image

• mathschick wrote (see)

mikasa - going up and down stairs is a bit hardcore!!

image Seconded image nice one chuckles. image 28.1 sounds hot to me but never really throught about pool temperture so might be normal.

• that does seem quite warm.  Yesterday the pool was freezing.  I had to do a couple of lengths of breast stroke to get used to it and calm my breating/heart rate down.

oddly I'm still out of breathe getting the stairs to the second floor.  I don't understand, surely I'm fit enough to take the stairs...

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

The lake was 17 degrees last night and I think that was just right for me, not too cold but also not too warm to actually push on and swim in. 2.5K done again so feeling a tad smug, lots of weeds and it got a bit choppy towards the end so all good practise.

I'm back from the footlab, so I have an uncommon problem cause by my hypermobility and completely flat feet, apparently you don't get feet any flatter than mine. But now I've lost the weight the motion control shoes are far too much for me. So I need some new neutral shoes that have room in them to take custom orthotics that have posts and gentle arch supports (firm ones will just bruise my feet since I have no arch yet). I've been recommend a place to go buy the shoes from and then I've got ring for an appointment once I've got them. For outlaw half I will still run in my oldest most motion control shoes and off the shelf orthotics, it will be very slow but I will come away un-injured so we can work on getting me sorted out long term.

All good news as apparently all pretty fixable since I'm so flexible. image One day I should be able to run.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well my legs think it was bloody stupid thing to do. Really feel it at the top of my achilles, just really, really tight. At lunch time the world went black, we had thunder and lightning and heavy rain and I was planning to call and check if they'd have places at spin tonight but now it's sunny again so holding up hope for an outside bike ride after work.

I think 28 is way too hot and I'm sure it hasn't been that warm previously. No wonder everyone swims so slow. But honestly I noticed it straight away when I got in as it was like slipping into a warm bath. 

I'd really like to swim outside but this whole idea about paying to go for a swim outside and having to wear wetsuit is just so alien to me. There is 'wild' swimming lake not too far from us but I've heard it's quite small. Might try it this weekend though.

• image errr "Managed nowt this week due to  dissertation - which is now handed in!"

That's not nowt. image Well done in finishing it. Right off to vote. Luckerly for me it's on top of a local hill so have to get some hill work in to get there. imageimage

• EP - I have done nothing all week except run after my niece and nephew in Tunisia. Good luck with the dissertation!

Well, lots of catching up to do. Lots of training. Marathon to run very soon - oh Gawd! 

• Oo... Hurrah to MC on the new job imageimage

EP - enjoy conkers, haven't been there for a few years but we used to go quite a bit with the kids

seem to have a lurgy - sore throat and sore head, I knew it was coming actually because throat has been feeling rough for a few days, managed to keep it at bay for the interview, but now my body has had enough I think, it just wants to sleep. I had parents evening today too, so no swimming or anything, just eat and bed. Well, apparently eldest son is having his scouts meeting here, I have told him it will be in his bedroom!!!! So can't go to bed while they are here...

out of interest I looked up the swimming pool temperatures http://www.swimming.org/assets/uploads/library/Swimming_Pool_temperatures_1.pdf

and 28 is recommended as a max for competitive swimming. However, I think 28 feels cold when you get in, so if it felt warm then it was probably more than 28

• Lol MC - I have a cough and I blame husband! image run tomorrow, then OW swim on Sat followed by long bike ride then TAPER!!! image That came round waaaay too fast - mild wibbles today!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Buttercup no wibbling allowed on this thread. PMA all the way.

I have done no training today, my body is feeling very achy  today. I aim to do a little bike ride tomorrow, subject to weather. My taper starts next week.

buttercup - you will be fine

steady - I have done hardly anything all week image interviews, stress, lack of sleep and now the lurgy image

I was hoping to do some nice ow swimming and some cycling over the weekend but will have to see how I am. And I haven't had my bike serviced yet