Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - pleased to hear you're making good progress.
    AR - really sorry to hear your news. Hope you can get some good treatment and come bouncing back sooner than you think.
    Moof - good to hear from you.Good luck in Newbury. As for me: 1486 days gone, 10 to go...
    Abbers - still a good work-out.
    PMJ - nice reps!
    CH - nice easy run.
    Lorenzo - hope the MP run goes/went OK.
    Marrows - great effort and congrats on the prize-winning - Sunday was not a good day for a marathon.
    GM - good luck with the cup run.
    Contemplating going for a very short easy run on grass if things keep improving - maybe on Friday.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - hi! Hope the ankles heal quickly.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Marrows - great report; ditto victory - a fine effort on a warm day . . .
    AR - I wish you well
    MsE - kudos for marshalling - and yes, moving is better than not moving . . . .
    Gul - still hoping for you  . . .

having ticked over for six weeks since Manchester (152 miles, but does include 2 x12, a 13, and 2 x14),now making plans for the autumn.

• Congrats Marrows, Sunday seemed to be a good day to win: our club had about 4 wins at various 10ks across the country so I will add you to that list of winners, well done.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Quick read back and I am keeping fingers crossed that Gul and Lorenzo feel fighting fit very soon. I am sure it is a minor blip for both of you fine specimens.

marrows - are you more of a glider than a gazelle?  I have a friend (1:21 HM) who ran 2:47 at Boston this year but her incremental improvements are getting smaller and smaller as she is a shuffler and glides.  She is convinced she has nearly reached her maximum paces with her run style holding her back.  http://ttbikefit.com/blog/?p=1176

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Quick drop in to say today's Corporate Cup went reasonably well. 144 runners lined up along the promenade in St.Helier this lunch time. It's such a strange course with about seven twists & turns which certainly slowed me down. 19:14 and about 7th overall. I was thinking a podium might be possible with a k or so to go but 3rd and 4th sped up and got overtaken by two runners in the last 800m's. Good blast for a lunch run though.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Nice going GM!

I'll be part of a men's relay team tonight.  Have packed eyeliner to draw on moustache, hairy legs etc.

MsE - thank you for your marshalling! you did a tricky job well, getting us over all those roads safely and without altercation.  My style has been described as 'pitter-patter', 'distinctive', and 'faster than it looks' so is probably nearer glider than gazelle, but either description exaggerates the skill level.  My semi-serious excuse for pitiful heel lift is that my calves are unusually heavy, the girth of each one being half my bust measurement.  Wouldn't your friend expect diminishing returns by the time she got that good, whatever her technique? then again CharlieW on sub 3 thread did write at some point that he got instant massive speed gains by converting himself to a gazelle..

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh well, we all think you're a bloke already marrows.

Sorry to hear about your achilles problems, A-R and hope you will be back sooner rather than later.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I thought marrows was a bloke image

• MsE wrote (see)

Quick read back and I am keeping fingers crossed that Gul and Lorenzo feel fighting fit very soon. I am sure it is a minor blip for both of you fine specimens.

Sorry for taking so long to get around to posting today - it's taken me until now to recover from being described by MsE as a fine specimen especially after her "I spy topless blokes" trip on Sunday! image

OO-51 wrote (see)

I thought marrows was a bloke image

Aaaargh!!!! 

Marrows - I'm sure I've read somewhere that there's a benefit in taking short strides if your cadence is high enough: less wasted energy in excessive heel lift and less braking force and more push off as a result of your foot landing more under than in front of your body. If you've got a good turnover speed in your legs, I wouldn't worry too much about pitter patter steps.

Great report by the way. Don't think I've ever heard of anyone actively thinking about Clarkson in the closing stages of a marathon.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit more optimistic AR - it's a good sign that you're already thinking about VLM 2015

My ankle seems to be pretty much back to normal - I managed 8.5 miles this morning without any ill effects. Very much running to feel without either watch or Garmin and rather surprised myself with an average pace of 7:14 including the warm up and cool down. 

Rest day tomorrow - driving up to Newark and back, hopefully in time to cast my vote.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Thanks. Do you think it may be time for an avatar change?image I too have large calf muscles but thankfully they are much bigger than my chest.

Bit peeved not to have the Garmin today as I would liked to seen the splits. Although I think they may have been pretty even and that's unusual for me as I normally go off way too fast and then fade in the last few k's. Today was a lesson in running to feel and 5k's normally feel hard from about halfway for me but today felt ok until the last k or so into the wind. I might try that again with the Garmin on but cover it up with a wristband or something. I do think sometimes we keep a lid on/off things whilst staring at the clock.

Gul - More heeling vibes coming your way.image

• GM - agree with you about the way that a Garmin can act as a distraction. It's taken me about 7 years to wean myself off it but I've now run my best races without one and, as you say, feeling the need to keep looking at it. Planning to run Stockholm without a watch either just to see how it goes.

Nice running by you at lunchtime by the way.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - great news on the ankle! How's Mrs L doing in prep for Stockholm?
    All feels good here image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Moof - very decent training mileage. Good luck in the 10k and then onwards and upwards into mara training. Abo?

Crash - nice easy miles. Keep churning them out!

Lorenzo - good news on the ankle. You're clearly fit at the moment.

Marrows - marathon winner! How good does that sound? Outstanding. And I'm not even going to mention the gender confusion again...

MsE - hope your Achilles settle quickly.

GM - excellent 5k time. Well raced. If it felt OK, that also suggests there's more to come.

Gul - great news that you appear to be on the mend image

No training to report from yesterday. Something tempo in the pipeline for lunch.

• GM - 7/144 is pretty impressive stuff!

Marrows - wow, nice win! Do I gather that it wasn't entirely a flat course?

Lorenzo and Gul both on the mend; excellent! I may not be such a jinx after all (though one post by me on the Team GB thread seems to have scuppered it forever...)

Abbers - rest day for me too yesterday!

LSR today, 15.5M at 9:05s for HR 139 ave; 17 sec/mile quicker than last week's 14. Sounds impressive but I suppose I'm just picking up slack after my spring marathon, rather than becoming Haile by July...

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Ahh! Tweaked my hamstring last night running some short reps. I'll have a couple of days rest.

Great report Marrows.

Nice 5k GM.

I'm overdue an injury but it doesn't stop me from sulking.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Crash - nice miles. LSRs during the week? Does that mean you get up early, or don't work the traditional 9-5?

Moof - take it easy. Make sure it's right before coming back!

Another 1-3-2 tempo session today. Tried to hit DHMP (desired half marathon pace) for the tempo section, so around 6:45. Came out at 20:05, so pacing was OK. A few months to go before I need to hold that for 13.1... not helped by a biblical thunderstorm part way round. Absolutely drenched within seconds.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

GM - Cracking 5k time -

Nice to hear Gul And Lorenzo are heading in the right direction.

AR - Pleased to read your more recent post - Good luck!

Abbers - good session that.

Moof - seems the sensible thing to do

I have a very fast 5k tomorrow but just cant seem to get my calf/achilles to 100% settle and short fast stuff is always a delicate balance between improvements and injury for me. If feeling OK might just use it as a progressive training run.

• I obviously spoke too soon about the 'jinx' thing! Moof, NO!

Abbers, no, no danger of me getting up for a really early run! I work late Wednesday, have Thursday off and go in on Saturday morning; joys of being self-employed image That's a pretty sharp pace for your tempo.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - thanks for the musings, and glad your ankle is mending

GM - bigger than your chest?! phwoar.

Abbers - what is the 1-3-2 session?

Crash hamster - 320m denivele: undulating, but not outrageous

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Hehe!

Moof - Hope it's nothing serious.

Abbers - Nice training! When is your half?

Menn - Good luck with our 5k!

Crash - Nice miles, been about four months since I have done a proper long run. I'm getting by on 20mpw at the mo.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

CH - nice LSR.
    Moof - hope it's nothing serious.
    Abbers - nice tempo run.
    Mennania - take care in the 5k today.
    Walked to The Field this morning (first visit this year!) and did a handful of 50m jogs as I walked round. Didn't feel any pain, so will try something a little bit more taxing tomorrow (but only a little bit.)

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Menn - hope the calf/Achilles is OK and you can give the 5k a good blast.

Crash - that explains things. ~16 miles before work would be a very early start (but I know some do it!).

Marrows - 1 mile warm up, 3 tempo, 2 cool down. When I'm fitter it becomes 1, 4, 1 and then progresses to 1, 5, 1 and 1, 6, 1, but that's a way off yet! Any post-mara issues for you, or has recovery gone well?

GM - not until October. I'm trying to get a bit of speed work done for a potential 10k in July, and then move into HM specific training from there. Feeling quick(ish) at the moment, just not fit enough to sustain it yet!

Gul - excellent news. I'm sure the field has missed you!

Forecast looking rubbish again for the next 48 hours, so cricket already in the balance. Blinkin' British summer...

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Abbers - thanks.  That session sounds like a good simple recipe.  My legs are tired but not sore, apart from achilles tendons which have been slightly sore for months anyway, and which felt better after a little 4-5K run round a relay race on Wednesday night!  My running is suffering more from post-VLM arse expansion.

• AR - sounds a very final decision regarding the running. Why not enjoy the summer without running and see how the Achilles is in the Autumn?

Well done Marrows in the heat - I wouldn't fancy running 26.2 in that heat! Good report too.

Sending some good healing vibes to those with stiffness anywhere in their bodies AR, MsE, Gul, moof, Lorenzo to name a few.

Nice seaside 5k GM

Good luck in your 5k Menn. Shame about the Chester half, but wise experienced decision to hold back. Good training run though!

Sounding more promising Gul, fingers crossed for you.

Bit of a weird 8 mile race last Sunday. A hilly first 3 miles which I paced ok at 6.40, but got to the killer hill at 4 miles and it floored me - 7.26 pace. After a brief walk (seemed the same pace as my running) and I was ok again. Last 3 miles were 6.20, 6.22 & 6.24. I can think of lots of excuses (the heat, the hills, quite a few late nights the week before, spending all day cleaning on Saturday and having a party at ours the night before with a few Panda Pops) that probably didn't yield a good race. But put it more down to a mental attitude on the day and not having my race head on.

Good luck to any racers this weekend.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)

AR - sounds a very final decision regarding the running. Why not enjoy the summer without running and see how the Achilles is in the Autumn?

KR - I haven't said I'm giving up running. I'm giving up running for the foreseeable future until I'm 100%. Recently I've been fighting to just run a couple of miles. The tendinosis isn't nice but I could live with that. I've had two small ruptures recently so it is time to quit before I go and snap the whole thing.

I will drop by from time to time to see how the Autumn marathons go for everyone, not everyday though as

a) I'd be dead jealous
    b) I would just moan on and on and on
    c) I'll get affected by everyone's posts and pop out for a 30 mile run.

More sparring with the doc/health care yesterday, and I had some bruising to show off this time, and  I have been approved a load more physio sessions, and if things persist, then on to orthapedic referral.

Good running the weekend you lucky bastards image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Make sure you scream that out of your car window every time you see someone running. It's great therapy when injured.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - Hilarious, had to contain myself from letting out a great big scream there.

AR - Wishing you a SPEEDY recovery (sorry I'm not meaning to rub it in)! Take it easy.

Weather doesn't look to clever out there. Decisions decisions, options are

1. Stay where I am get through a shed load of work and avoid the usual pressures of tight deadlines!

2. Turn off my computer and head into the free drinks bar and talk small talk with my colleagues and get pi$$ed.

3. Avoid everyone and go for a run and then get pi$$ed.

It's a toughie, right, I'm off out for a run!image

• OK, lunchtime, Last Friday of the Month 5k round Hyde Park. A week early due to some dudes who can't really run and need to swim and cycle beforehand to justify their existence. 3 miles jog out as a warm up and get to the bandstand just after 12 noon for a 12:30 start so enough time to chin wag with runners from all sides of the capital and beyond.

Line up at the start about 3 rows back, 3-2-1 and go! Little bit of jostling but settled in and first km in 3:30 which is about right. Into the second km and suddenly a group come past me and the legs feel as though all the speed and springiness has gone out of them. 2nd km in 3:39 and the pattern continued with a 3:43, 3;50 and saved a bit of dignity with a 3:41 last km for 18:25.

Can't really say I'm either happy nor sad. The whole 5k was at about the same pace as the 800 reps I did on Wednesday so in one way I am happy that I can do 5k non-stop as fast as I can do reps but in another way I am thinking I should be doing faster reps to get the leg speed up. Looking back, I did 18:24 on the same course last year for my first outing so today was comparable. I was 2nd V45 and ahead of all the V50s but behind a very fast V60, Dave Cox, some may know him.

The wind was strong in paces and certainly didn't help.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

At least you are showing consistency PMJ. After a heavy week at work and couple of extra pounds from hotel food, I'm not expecting much at the parkrun- but then you never know.