Options

New runner knee pain

Hi I'm a newbie runner and all was goin fine  - run 12 5ks with no pain and have been really enjoying my runs. However this week, horrible pain sets in below left knee after 2.8 miles.  I iced and rested the knee the first time it happened, but it's happened twice since at similar mileage. Amy ideas on what it is? Would a knee band help? It's the fleshie part just below knee but above bump towards the outer kneecap. Please help!

Comments

• Options

Sorry to hear about the pain.

Could be a number of things, such as patella femoral pain syndrome, or a poorly tracking patella. That assumes of course, that you haven't had some trauma (impact or tear) to the knee.

But I'm not a medic, and the one thing I do know from similar posts on here and my own experience, you should really get a professional opinion on it. It might clear up by itself or it might be something serious, but it can't properly be diagnosed over the net.

Good luck and hope you quickly return to pain free running. image

• Options

Thanks for the advice.  I've had a couple of days off and completed a very slow 5k today (11.30 min/mile). It felt ok but started to ache rather than feel painful towards the end. Progress? Going to continue to take it very easy for a few weeks before increasing to 10 min/walk 1 min. If the pain flares up again I will go see the dr image

• Options

skip doctor, go see a pyiso or sports therapist instead, and do it sooner rather then later. If you do have an underlying issue, and you keep on running on it, you may well make things worse damaging you either permanently, or at least taking you out of action for longer. the Sooner you get it looked at properly, the Better! ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to these things. They may just need to tell you to do certain stretches, build up certain muscle groups, or just give you a proper kneading out of certain muscles. The sooner you start to get it fixed, the sooner you'll be running long term, without the pain.

get it fixed!