Serious Heartburn-like symptoms

Hello,

I'm a seasoned long distance/ultra runner ( 56km plus runs). For the last 3 years, I have experienced severe heartburn like symptoms in the first 8-10 kms of every run, including training runs.

I have had extensive tests but no causes have been found. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks,

Lee-Anna

Comments

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Yes I have though for me it gets worse the longer I run then continues later that day and into the night.  Turns out I've got lots of gallstones.  Things that help are:

Mint tea, not lying down in bed, the pink double strength Gaviscon.  It did get very bad and after one long run I ended up in hospital on morphine for the pain.  

Try excluding most of the additional fat from you diet - i.e not the intrinsic fat in meat or avocados but butter/spread, oil cream.  The more fat you can eliminate the better, get the fat you need from nuts, seeds and oily fruits like olives and avocado.

It may not be that but if it's heartburn it could be the start of it - I had heartburn fort a few years before it got bad.  Obviously don't know how old you are but it's more prevalent in females and more likely the older you get.  

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Do you only get it when you run Lee-Anna? 

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I have been searching the internet for an explanation.....I have done 4 marathons and the last two have been very painful during last 5/6 miles with the discomfort continuing last sunday at liverpool for the rest of the day and evening. I couldn't eat and could only sip coke which was very disappointing!  Times were 3:45 and 4:39 and I fuelled and hydrated exactly the same for all marathons......it makes me wonder what I can do to avoid this severe heartburn. Unlike Lee Anna, mine only comes on after about 20 miles......

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Sunluvva......is it only when YOU run??

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I have been searching the internet for an explanation.....I have done 4 marathons and the last two have been very painful during last 5/6 miles with the discomfort continuing last sunday at liverpool for the rest of the day and evening. I couldn't eat and could only sip coke which was very disappointing!  Times were 3:45 and 4:39 and I fuelled and hydrated exactly the same for all marathons......it makes me wonder what I can do to avoid this severe heartburn. Unlike Lee Anna, mine only comes on after about 20 miles......

• I'm relatively new to running, but I've had this a couple times around the 4miles mark each time. My diet isn't particularly great, I'm just assuming I need to improve my nutrition.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

It sounds like it could be exercise-induced reflux.

In some people the lower oesophageal sphincter isn’t quite doing its job, allowing an upwards flow of stomach acid. Exercise can exacerbate these symptoms - just think about the jiggling around! Have you been tested for GORD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease)?

If that is the problem, then there are a few things you can try to reduce the symptoms. Firstly, try not to run until at least a couple of hours after eating. The presence of food in the stomach increases the acid flow, and it also changes the pressure on the sphincter. Secondly, think about what you’re eating – there are certain foods that will increase the likelihood of acid reflux – spicy, fatty, caffeine... Thirdly, you can try prophylactic antacids – something like Gaviscon might work to dampen down the symptoms, or a PPI (ranitidine, lansoprazole, omeprazole) is will reduce the amount of acid actually produced. You can buy some of them over the counter, or speak to your GP about a prescription. It’s something to raise with the GP anyway, as many don’t known about the exercise-induced presentation of GORD.