Endure24 24 hour team Relay

Dumb things to do for 2014: Sign up to do a 24hour endurance race, solo.  Check.

Took part in this event last year with my brother as a pair team and throughly enjoyed it.

We didn't learn our lesson and are back for more in 2014, and both going solo... 

Looking forward to the challenge.

Comments

• I've been along to the first two events to support friends running this event.  The atmosphere is very good.  I'm very tempted to take part this time around, as a team though, to get some rest in between the 5-mile loops.

• My club - Tadley Runners - entered 3 teams of 6/7/8 runners last year and will be doing similar in 2014. Brilliant event - highly recommended.

• I assume there won't be a clash with the Tadley 10k Tim?
  • No, the 10K is on the following weekend - Sunday 6 July 2014. Online entries are already open, you can download the entry form from http://www.tadleyrunners.co.uk or use any of the universal entry forms.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

I'm in solo, should be interesting!

• Blimey Jeremy. That's hardcore. Respect.
  • Good stuff JG, welcome to the solo club... it's gonna hurt...

This run has really caught on, well over twice as many solo runners signing.  Gonna be a busy route.

I was the only one reviewed it last year, should get a few more this time.

Hey andyp, haven't seen you for ages... you signing up then??  Race is filling up quickly.

• Hi FM. Hope you are well. I will be sorting my entry shortly. Good effort entering the solo event my friend.
  • Got a target in mind Mike? It's going to be tricky getting the pace right to last the time. I will probably start too fast and get slower and slower!

• Hey JG. My target is the golden 20 laps (100miles). I managed 13 laps last year so I think it's achievable... You got a target, or just see how far your legs will take you??

Plan is easy run the first few laps (get the route memorized), then run/walk the rest. Probably a lot more walking than running in 2nd 12hrs.

Going for non-stop strategy, with a few short stretch/massage breaks. Last time some soloists took a nap and couldn't carry on as their legs seized up...

Fuel tactics are the hardest thing to sort out. There are only so many energy bars and gels you can consume in 24hrs. Found out the hard way that neither Jaffa cakes or porkpies a good idea...

• First target is 20 laps and similar non stop strategy And see how far I get. top was 24 laps last time? Just done Thames Trot in a reasonable time so build up is going well. I have been testing some of the instant noodle options as I know I will want savoury food. Failing that some quick cook pasta and instant sauce. 

jaffa cakes I like but porkpies during a race would be a disaster for me!

• 23 laps for last years winner.  hmmm, getting to 20 laps is gonna be tough...

• glad to see there is a thread on this - I am in......meant to be training for the NDW 100 in August......will see how well thought out that is after the race!!!

I have never done a 24 hour race before (or even a 100 miler) so any thoughts or tips gratefully received

• welcome Clive, another soloist!!!

check out Paul Ali's "Running endure24 solo" blog via race website.  a great source of info. 

• thanks - will do

this is definitely going to be a stretch so will need all the help and advice I can get

• Race is now full!!  That's almost three times as many soloists as last year!!  Gonna be a busy course.

AndyP hope you booked your place in time.

• Hey fellow Endurers

Hope trainings going well...

Entry listings are now up.  Names on the list, no backing out now...

There's a lot of soloists - 147men & 54women

• new baby and three weeks of proper man flu have seriously dented my training......managed only 40 miles in the last month instead of the 200 on my training schedule.........this is going to be hard hard hard!!!!.....there.....got my excuses in early

• Clive, i think should be at least another 'hard' in there...  my training schedule got blown to pieces due to injuries, lost most of march & april.  Hoping stubbornness & adrenaline will help...

• Glad I finally found a thread on this!

Im in as a solo too! After my first ultra back in feb in the thames trot I entered this!

Not sure about anything yet regarding strategies but imagine it will be non stop (other than to see the kids when they turn up).

Food-wise im going to take some precooked rice with me for non sugary snacks and make use of the catering tent.

Would love to get to the magic 11 by 11:55 on the sunday and then walk/crawl one more image Who knows though!

Should be fun, cant wait!!!

• there is a catering tent????

• Yep, there's catering available all race. If it's same guys as last year, there'll be a good selection of drinks & food.
  • If I am not careful, I may end up putting on weight!

• last years cooked menu did look the rather tasty, especially the chilli hot dog, unfortunately I had no appitite after the run...  maybe this year.  organisers have said the info on the solo runners catering offers will be available shortly.

the event guide is now up on the website. 

the soloists are getting our own support tent at transition to store our supplies.

hey paul.  surely if you've done the thames trot, you'll be on lap 11 by 11.55 saturday night image 

• Hey Mike,

Ooo chilli is one of my pre-race fave meals, not sure about whether I could take it at about 1am when the body is crying out for non-sugar foods!!! Will be good to see what they have!

On the subject of the solo support tent/area do you know if you can pitch a tent by our cars or anything like that or do we all cram into the single support tent (im not camping). Also, do you happen to know how far the cars are parked from the solo exit area? I imagine a few trips will be needed.

Lol, i meant the magic 20, not sure wherethat came from image

Definately lookig forward to it now, think it will be a crazy 24 hours though i have told my kids that it might not be the same daddy they see when they get there on the sunday morning that is was when they left saturday afternoon lol!

• hey Paul.

it looks like the solo support tent is just for us soloist to store supplies & get water, plus our own toilets, so less queuing.

there is a solo camping area near to the start, not sure whether you can park there.  I doubt the car park will be too far away (although anything over a few meters will be too far after a few laps...).  I'm planning to get through with a couple of bags of kit/supplies based in support tent, so won't be camping. 

seems like most soloists are aiming for 20laps, lets hope we all make it.  it's only 100miles...

• ONLY!!!!!!......was originally targetting 100 but poor training and little chance to rectify it in time means I am just going to start and see how it goes.....don't want to ruin myself for the North Downs Way six weeks later

• Thats great info mike, thanks again.

I think my plan is for the other (more sensible) half to drop me off early on the saturday morning so I can set up and then come back before the start and stay a bit. Good knowing its not too far from the solo area to where parkig will be!

Have you ran a 100 miles before?

Im new to the ultra stuf. For the thames trot i dint do anything different to what i do anyway (max run 11 miles other than events) but 2 saturdays before I did my 11 mile route 3 times in the day to see how the legs handled it.

Hoping to do something similar the saturday after next but otherwise will be winging it from laps 10 onwards!!!

My saviour will no doubt be mini eggs and pork pies and a cold rice sala at somepoint and im cutting back on caffeine before the day to maximise the effects of it come nighttime!

Would you recommend a nighttime (2am or something) run before the day?