Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Went down hard, mostly on my knees, at about 3 miles and had problems with them for the rest of the race. Finished, but it cost me some time. The right one in particular, while with less superficial damage, was/is the real problem. Like you, the fall caused more pain than the race, and I still get occasional shooting pains from the right kneecap 6 weeks on. Not sure what I did, but wish I hadn't! Hope you heal & recover quickly.

• PMJ, Lorenzo - wow, talented offspring!

CC2 - Brilliant county win; a kill's a kill...

BB -mightily impressive image

Jools - good running to keep your sub-40 streak going. I'm very jealous...

PJF, Abbers - falling is much easier as a kid; less speed from a lower height and a more elastic body! Not so straightforward as an adult!

Easy week for me; 2lb lighter this morning than Saturday morning, despite a weekend of debauchery (well, the odd drink and some tiramisu...) See, it was the scales after allimageimageimage

• Great 5k PB Menn - what a crazy pre-race build up!

Awesome marathon PB Race Jase - can't get my head round that kind of pace you ran for 26.2!

Badbark - enjoy the fitness and the wine. Your Newry marathon time was brilliant. Shows the fitness levels are very high.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Crash - you are so right! It's a mistake I hope not to repeat in the future, especially during a race image

6.5 steady at lunch.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PJF- if you can get straight back on the training and build on whats there now , running in a group on raceday is a good way to go image

BADBARK-without the 20 and as an A race wonder what you could have ran image

RACEJASE-amazing hatrick of sub 2:30's

JOOLS- long may the sub 40's continue.

PMJ-Nice bling .

CRASH- dodgy scales eh image

Gul- Not long now image

I ran a very comfortable 6 yesterday with 1 at mara pace imageand was feeling good , today my 6 ended early as my hamstring complained a bit at 4.5 miles .image One step forward and 2 sideways... image

• Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

Lozza - have a few races lined up over the summer 5ks-half maras. But first could do with getting my injuries properly sorted!

Poacher - Minni was the perfect hostess. Pizza and wine and she didnt event offer me beetroot juice, thank fck!

Badbark - nice effort chap.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Jase, check for puncture marks on your arm - she may have tried to give an intravenous beetroot drip while you slept....excellent run, quality performance

Off to S. Africa tomorrow. Trying to convince myself the central governor is not going to shut down during many hours of pain and misery. Time to zip up the man suit.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the cake RJ!!

Poacher - will be sending you good vibes all weekend. Really hope it goes well for you. Go do it. x
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks x. Might be the last ultra. Got to finish the s***ing thing then retire.
  • Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

The cake. Corguette and lime. Yes. I know. Corguette and lime. Cake. I was too polite to decline a piece but it was actually, believe it or not, absolutely amazeballs. image

poach if there's anyone that has a man suit it's you. Best of luck.

• PJF, I'm pretty sure it was a spring 3:21 to a fall 3:15, so keeping the training going worked for me. 

And while racing in a pack can be good, it's also too easy to be lulled into their pace/ their race, which might not be what you want. (Starting back and passing people has its ups and downs as well. Starting too far forward and constantly being passed would probably hurt.)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PJF - as PMJ said, 2 marathons a year will help, but be careful to listen to your body and not push it too much.
    Leslie - not long indeed! Is your marathon on Sunday?
    Poacher - if the central governor shuts down then you have beaten him and you are the governor! Good luck.
    Lorenzo - when are you off to Stockholm?
    10 laps at a nice steady pace, ending with a bit of a marathon pace effort. It was a bit of a struggle so may have lost some fitness.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Poacher image

• Gul - out in Stockholm already. Light run this morning with the rest of the family. Sightseeing for a few days then ready to focus.

All the best to Poacher. You won't let us down I know!

Minni, RJ - courgette and thyme cake?! Hmm. What's the recipe?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Bon voyage, Poacher - you will do it !  We'll be thinking of you  . . . .

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Minni, is that the same as zucchini bread?

Good luck Poacher! I look forward to the race report.

PJF - it's not just whether your body can take it, but also whether you'll get bored of it, or exhaust the patience of your family.

I've actually been enjoying running in the pouring rain this week. It's better than cycling in the pouring rain, and arriving scared with grit all over my face.  Legs are OK but still a bit flat from, I guess, not training properly since early April (apart from two 26.2 milers)

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Poacher - best wishes and hope you have a really great experience!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie - stick yourself together and make it to the start line!

Poacher - have an amazing race and experience. If it really is to be your last ultra, make it one to remember.

Gul - sounds like you're fit again, so a matter of finding out how much you can get out on race day. You had racked up a lot of miles, and some good speed, prior to your injury. That's all still in there.

Lorenzo - Not too much walking around sightseeing before the weekend!

Marrows - the cycling sounds grim. A bit of training, rather than just racing marathons, might be in order? image

6 more at lunch.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo/marrows - it was courgette and LIME cake. It's a secret 'pb' recipe.image
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I made a courgette and chocolate cake once but it was a bit horrible.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - Go well and I am sure you will.image

Each to their own I guess but if we are putting vegetables in cakes then I'll have a carrot cake please. Yum.

Double run yesterday for me, 5k lunch @ 7:04 pace, then 5k last night @ 6:34. Surprised I felt so loose and good after the lunch run. Desperately need to start upping the mileage. I'll be in marathon training soon!!! Decided I am not going to the Jersey half marathon in June as I haven't run enough and have another pesky exam the day after so best not. Have lined up a 10k though which is on an undulating country/coastal route.

Took these out for a test drive yesterday, very light @185g and nice and bouncy too. I have been wanting to try these for ages but always buy Saucony's but first impressions are good.

/members/images/612983/Gallery/Sketchers_go_run_2.JPG

• Like GM , two 5ks yesterday. Lunch was an easy affair run at 7:30 pace to get a point for attending and I'm slowly moving up the league table but with it being monthly and a point a go and the leader is on over 200, I'm not expecting to close in on it for a few years yet,

Evening was Burnham 5k and came out in 18.27 on the Garmin so will have to see what the official time is. Course is a hard one, half mile fast downhill, turn and half mile back uphill to complete the first lap, then the same again but longer with effectively a mile downhill and mile back up. The gradients are nothing too bad and are steepest at the start and finish but still it seems that you have to push all the way and no relaxing on a nice bit of flat. Downhills were good speed-work, I have 5:22 pace for the first km so must have been close to 5 for the fast bits. Weather was awful, started seriously bad and just got heavier and heavier rain. The slower runners looked drenched as I finished, jogged straight to my car and drove out at the end in my 4x4 and wondered what carnage lay ahead for the other hundred or so cars in a muddy carpark at the bottom of a grassy slope.

Still not absolutely happy with the running but reality is that the plan was to come into May and race myself fit and I have had 8 races and ended up with some 18.2x 5ks so if Sunday and a track 5000m comes out 18.1x or better it will be plan achieved.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - That 18:2x sounds very good to me given the course profile and the vile conditions. Hopefully the weather will be kinder to you on Sunday.

4.2 mile hilly, country lane run tonight. Lots of reckless drivers around speeding down green lanes (20mph zones) and trying to dodge all manner of insects. Swallowed a couple and got hit in the eye a few times but all in all a good run. Must remember to wear my sunglasses even when the sun is not shining.image

• No rain here, but it's definitely on the cold side. North wind certainly makes the temperature drop.

On an equally depressing note, I felt like sh!t today - probably not helped by being woken up in the night (in the middle of a dream about running a marathon and getting lost) by the TV suddenly going on at 3.45am and then took an eternity to go back to sleep. Concerned that I might be going down with something so in bed early tonight and keeping fingers crossed.

Good 5K running from GM and PMJ.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - two nice 5k runs - dangerous one yesterday.
    PMJ - that's a good time for 5k on a hard course.
    Lorenzo - looks like things are warming up again here for Saturday. Hope you can get a good rest over the next couple of days and feel fighting fit for the mara.
    Just 6 laps today, finishing at MP and feeling better than yesterday. Tempted to gamble and wear a brand new pair of shoes on Saturday (I know!) for an extra bit of support and cushioning. Probably won't though. Slightly concerned to read on Steve Way's blog that one part of the Cyclopark course was nicknamed Tourette's hill!image With just 2 days to go I would have expected to be bouncing around off the ceiling by now, but it's rather different with a big question mark hanging over the whole affair.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’ve finally managed to get time to read back and post.

Great shorter distance racing from Menn, OO-51 and PMJ last weekend.

Ant – Good to hear from you and I hope your injury problems get sorted soon

CC2 – Fantastic medalling - again!

Birder – Excellent HM time and welcome aboard!

PJFrizzle – Well done, 3:21 is a decent time and set’s you up nicely for a sub 3:15 in the autumn. I ran a 3:26 PB in spring 2010 before a 3:13 that autumn off about 40-50 mile running a week.

Jools – Great 10k running including the negative split

Abbers – Sorry to read about your pains but good to see you’ve kept running

C Hamster – Good weight loss considering the debauchery

Leslie – I hope your hamstring issue clears up soon. Keep positive.

Race Jase- Stonking marathon performance!

Poacher – All the best of luck with your ultra. Sorry to read it might be your last considering I’m only getting started.

Marrows – Glad you are enjoying your rain running!

PMJ – That’s another great 5k run all things considered and you are definitely getting back to peak shape.

GM – Good 5k running and a nice insect eating running! I’ve moved to wearing Saucony shoes too and really liking them.

Lorenzo – Sorry to read about your lurgy, I hope it’s only minor. Good luck in Stockholm!

Gul – Personally I wouldn’t risk the new shoes. All the best of luck with the race and I hope your injury problems don’t surface.

Thanks very much for all the kind words and encouragement. Here’s a race summary from Newry on Sunday.

My plan for the Newry Marathon was to run at around 6:40 (MP) pace for the first half, then ease up over the second half. I wanted a sub 1:30 half marathon time as I’m competing in a Half Marathon series which I’ve won prize money in over the last two years. Times over six races are added up and I needed a decent time to have a chance of a prize again. The organisers let you use your half way time in Newry because the half and full marathon are on the same day.

The course was very flat and the weather conditions were perfect.  I had no trouble running about 6:40 pace although was completely on my own between miles 5 to 14. I went through half way in 1:27:37 but still felt really comfortable so didn’t slow down. I ran into the back of the half marathon pack at 14 miles who had just started on the same course. This was frustrating to begin with due to having to dodge through them. However, once I had cleared the bulk of the slow runners it became great fun as I was able to pick off runner after runner.

After about 16 miles I checked my HR which was in the low 140’s so just over my easy pace a few years ago. I decided to maintain the 6:40 pace until 20 miles and then slow to about 7 m/m pace until the end. Even when I slowed at 20 miles I was still overtaking half marathon runners. The 7 m/m pace made the last few miles feel like a jog and at no time did I even wish for the finish.

I cruised through the line in 2:56:29 for 8th place and could definitely have run on for many more miles. I’m extremely happy with this considering I ran 90 miles that week including 20 the day before. I had also run a 42.5 miler 10 days earlier and a back to back 50k and marathon 3 weeks previous.

I know it’s a popular saying on this thread about ‘not burning matches’ but personally I disagree. The more matches I burn the bigger the match box I get!image

I can’t wa

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I can’t wait for the 100k which I’ve now decided to race rather than just try to finish. It’s a packed field including the Irish 100k record holder, a 51 minute 10 mile runner, two guys with 4:30 39.3 mile ultra marathons and several other sub 3 hour marathon runners who have plenty of ultra experience. These are just the ones I know about!

According to the McMillan calculator I should be able to run a 100k in about 8 ½ hours so this will be my goal although just finishing will still be the A goal! image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wow, Badbark, you are clearly in excellent shape.  I'm not surprised you can't wait to see what you can do over 100k!

• GM, nice shooos!

Also nice 5ks, GM and PMJ; is the 2x 5k some sort of magic session or just the way it worked out?

Poacher, good luck!

Lorenzo, hope you get a better night; when something like that happens to me (we get teh odd spider zipping across our alarm sensors at stupid oclock) I get such a surge of adrenaline that I'm more readt for a fight than sleep for the subsequent two hours.

Gul, hope it all continues to hold together for you!

Badbark, so that summarises as 'came 8th, didn't kill myself, got slowed up by some half marathonners'!!! WOW! It's a brilliant run and you must be in terrific shape! I think you missed 'you' off the packed field list image

Rest day yesterday, livened up by noo shoos! Brooks Pure Cadence 2s from Start Fitness; bless 'em, they're the first ones I've found that were even slightly reduced! Off to try some Cadence 3s later then 10 miles planned.

(no doubt at full price, but I've slipped up and worn both my pairs of road shoes out at the same time)

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Badbark - I havnt seen you burning that many matches to be fair, you keep restocking the box, by running within yourself in a lot of these marathons.