Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I must be spending too much time on the internet  - I am thinking about doing some off road duathlons in the autumn. image Now I can run a bit better than a year ago a duathlon is a possibility!

• Oo ladies, I'm sending healing vibes! (((Feel better!))) Must be crazy frustrating image

Woop woop EP... you go girl! 

Hope taper madness hasn't kicked in too badly image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EP - well done on the weight loss!

Steady - oh poor you. Saw the pic of you leg, nasty bruise. Hope you don't have a hairline fracture and hope you'll be good enough to go on Sunday but it's bit of close call.

I was so tired today after wok, pizza and glass of wine at lunch time certainly didn't help and almost sacked training as weather was bit rubbish as well. But then I HTFU and realised I wasn't gonna get any better if I didn't buck my ideas. So gym bike and x-trainer like the plan said!

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭
    Week take care steady and mc hope you both feel better soon. Bike serviced and will take it for a spin in the morning then rest until sat when a quick spin and jog will be done then it's race day. The weather forecasts are variable to say the least!
  • Good luck with the outlaw everyone gutted to hear about injuries and illnesses after everybody has trained  so hard I am off to Ibiza for a week now but will be thinking of you all on Sunday and look forward to reading all your race reports, again good luck.

• MC - Broxtowe do/did a lovely little beginner friendly duathlon in October (I think). Was my first ever- worth looking for.

Well done for getting it done mikasa - there's always an excuse if you want one, not using it is the key!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • ooh...get better everyone!

I cycled to work.  I was faffing at home and nearly didn't bother, but I knew that if I didn't do it today, I wouldn't do it at all this week.  I've got an hour to recover before I have to pretend to be intelligent in a meeting.

Duathlons are fun.  I've got one in a couple of weeks, 1/2 marathon up a hill and back, then 30miles on the bike up and down hills.  I'll grace them with black and yella this year.

glaslegs - have a lovely holiday

LMH - I'll have a look for that one. One step beyond do 3 fairly close to me too - CLumber Park, Sherwood Pines and HPP. Broxtowe is close as well though

pete - wow, that is a fairly long duathlon! The ones I was looking at were 5k run 16k bike 4k run

still snotty/coughing/sinus pain/headache etc so not looking hopeful for Sunday image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Glasslegs - have a lovely hols!

Pete - blimey, that's a serious duathlon.

MC - sorry to hear you're not feeling better. image

The bed was still trying to seduce me this morning but it's definitely more mind over matter these days. Was the absolute first in the pool this morning, bit surreal but very, very nice. Only had one length on my own though.

Bike or spin this evening. Saturday to London to watch the pro's and Sunday my own tri. image
  • MC - if you spend the next 3 days in bed with your family waiting on you, would that fix your illness?

Mikasa - getting the pool to yourself is just ace.

The Ming the Merciless duathlon is run by our local nordic ski club...it's very hard core.  I always get in to trouble for using the bridge to cross the stream rather than running through the water! But there are no timing chips, it's just a bit of fun, but as I have enough garmin stuff I don't really need a chip.  Last year I did the 13miles in 2 hours and a bit, but the bike was nearly 2.5 hours.  I'm hoping to get the run under 2 hours and get the bike nearer to 2 than 2.5...

pete - somehow I don't think my family will wait on me image

• MC - if those antibiotics aren't working by now you may need to go back and try a different type, I'd have expected you to be feeling much better, sorry that you're not.

That sounds tough but fun pete.

mikasa - sounds as though you have it cracked, don't lose momentum now image

• MC is it possible you have post viral fatigue? With your body just recovering after the drugs have done there thing? 

Ever way as Happy said above the antibiotic's should have worked so might be worth seeing your GP again?

I don't think the GP would give me anything different until I have had the whole week's course. I do remember a few years ago when I had a sinus infection it did take 6 days for the antibiotics to work. I don't think there is a good blood supply to the sinuses so it can take longer, bit like ear infections, often oral antibiotics take longer than you would like

anyway, given it is Thursday and I have no energy then I have to face the fact that trying to do an 8 hour endurance event on Sunday is probably not going to be good for me even if I am feeling better by then

• Too early to bin it yet MC - see how you feel on Saturday?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, don't bin it yet, wait till Saturday. I am currently sitting here typing with an ice pack on my shoulder.

• I'm feeling a bit smug. I took 7minutes off my home commute time. I was a bit perplexed that they'd closed my road to resurface it but they took pity on a cyclist and let me through. Its a bit of a nightmare cycling on loose chippings but at least I had the road to myself. I got up to 70kph in on section. I need to check my bike for tar. 

And its sunny. 

hey, well done pete, and send some sun down here!

steady/LMH - I am intending going and registering on Saturday and thinking that if I am ok, at least do the swim. By registering I will get access to the free food etc that is on offer to the athletes! 

Just hope the weather improves it is horrible here right now

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Happy - thanks, yes I think I'm getting there. Last time I have to get up quite that early to go swimming though.

Pete - great cycling there.

MC - good decision, might as well take advantage of free food! image

Spin done after work, was hard work and sweated buckets. I wonder if I should replace one of my bikes with a spin or do a spin as extra as I don't feel I ever work quite that hard outdoors. Opinions?

we have booked a trip to Barcelona including Barcelona half marathon for next February!!image

oh, and I managed to get OH to make the tea image

• mikasa - I think you can replace one of the short rides with a spin class.

Glad to hear it MC.

No better Steady?

Nice riding pete.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good result MC on getting the OH to make tea.

My evening was eventful and busy. Ants got to my cooking, so had to do mega clean of kitchen and Mr Steady pulled out the cooker and fridge and freezer to clean behind so dinner was late and he had 3 phone calls during it.

LMH, I am getting there, the ice is mainly to calm down any inflammation, feeling better and will get out for a short ride tomorrow to check out how I am. I did get a bit worried about exercising after concussion but the modern view seems to favour doing it but keeping the HR down to a max of 80% and to stop if any symptoms come back. So it looks like I will live up to my name and take it steady.

Wish I had looked at staying in a hotel and not camping, but at least the campsite is very close to transition.

• Good pre- work swims and bikes but boo to feeling rubbish still mc. Barcelona will be fab! 

Dont most events offer a postpone to next yr? i had to pull out of Aberystwyth last yr as was coughing up gunk for 3 weeks before but they just moved my entry to this yr. Seems mean if they dont when they are so expensive. 

Pete - 70kph?? Was that on a downhill, smooth with wind behind you section or are you super speedy?? duathlon sounds 'testing'. 

Have a fab holiday glasslegs - only time i went to ibiza i was asked if i was my cousins mother (not good when she was 21 and i was 30 at the time). 

only 2 sleeps to my sprint and i feel totally knackered, only managing a few hours sleep at night but hoping for an early night tomorrow for last minute recharging (once i hunt out my kit) 

What is that in that box you all seem to be packing?

• Camlo - most events don't allow you to defer.

Steady - it will be a week post concussion won't it? You should be fine on the head front as long as you're not still having any symptoms.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Symptoms have gone, I think I am being very cautious about anything. Looking forward to getting on the bike later to test if the shoulder will with stand the swim and the bike or if it will be a swim only day.  

morning

steady - hope you are ok on the bike

feeling a bit more human here, but hr still quite a bit above normal. I shall just wait till Saturday, register, and then see on Sunday I think......

camlo - no, no deferrals, and it is too late to get any kind of refund or change to a relay. Life is just like that!

• MC just remember they normally have some very nice flapjack's and cakes for Outlaw assuming it's the same for the half. image

Really hope you do it and also get through it ok ever way I'm plant myself near the cricket pitch and act silly. With look will get to see some of you kids.

cake - thanks, though to be honest, still not great today, I have driven to a shop in Nottingham, parked, bought something, driven back and I am exhausted. Think I need to be honest with myself, I am not young anymore and my body isn't recovering quickly! What I don't want is to collapse half way round which would put me back a long way mentally and physically and would probably involve OH withdrawing all support for anything! 

will be there supporting if nothing else though

• It doesn't sound as though you'll be doing yourself any favours to be honest MC which is a real shame image

I know, but such is life

However, there were some last minute places for dambuster on 21 June, I will be better for then so have entered!! Will enter wild boar too, gives me loads of time to get lots of long bike rides in

so - some advice please - would it be weird just to do the swim on Sunday? Then withdraw? I was going to do a test swim tomorrow if rhr is back down to somewhere near normal, and if I feel ok swimming in a pool I was thinking it would be good practice to do the swim on Sunday. Or I am clutching at straws?