Venice Marathon 2014

Anyone thinking about or entered Venice marathon?

I'm looking for an Autumn marathon that I have not done before and this is top of the list.

Anyone done it before with any advice?

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've PM-ed you, Running T, to avoid droning on and on about this one image

• cheers ATM. emailed back my email address.

Feel free to drone on - I thought thats what these forums were about image

• On the back of ATM's glowing report I have signed up for Venice. Looks like I am on my own.

Can't believe no one else is running Venice marathon. might be a lonely run!! image

• andyp wrote (see)

you might win.... image

Yeah - its my only chance..... knowing my luck i will fall over and DNF

• I've been thinking about it for weeks but flights are a nightmare. I'm 85% expecting to go, but can't quite bring myself to click the button!
  • Go, Go , Go ----you will not regret the experience.

I signed up a couple of years ago and was surprised to encounter quite a few Brits and Americans.

Its a bit deadly first thing in the morning when travelling by shuttle bus -wrap up well in a garment which you can discard - the free tea prior to starting is welcome.

Crossing the Grand Canal on the temporary bridge is something else - also remember to smile whilst running around St Marks Square as the photo is to be treasured!!!

• Heroine - i have a code if you want to get 20 EUR off the price. I thought flights from Easyjet and BA were cheap at about £4 each way and hotels reasonable prices.

I thought Venice looked a great marathon and cant believe there is not more hype as the few that have mentioned it raved about it.

• ps The last few humped back bridge are somewhat taxing after having run 25 miles!!!!

• I am going to speak to my financial backer (my mother, naturally image) again this weekend and see if I can get it pinned down. The outward flight is a great price, but then Ryan Air stop flying for the season, useless b*ggers! Might have to swim home, make it a bit of a biathlon!

• There are several good races between November and February abroad but all the budget airlines close down for the season.To go scheduled is a no no .

• Easyjey is cheap but depends where you are flying to.

• Easyjet are OK if you are going to holiday destinations but if you get off the beaten track you are struggling.

• It is, but I have news - I've signed up and booked flights so I'm 100% up for it, yeeha! I have Loch Ness exactly a month before it so there's no PB thoughts which should be nice, I'll get to enjoy it (I hope!).
  • Yeah someone else is doing Venice. No PB thoughts for me either, just an autumn marathon to keep me running and something to drag me out of bed for those long runs.

• Yes I'm the same, always nice to have a goal and it's getting towards the dodgy end of the year time where I can never be arsed to do anything! Doing Venice means that I can have an easier November then start the Paris campaign, yeehaaa! I hope I don't go off running, I've already got a few things booked for next year!

• I was lurking around RW forums last night and happened upon this thread. Then I did some googling, and somehow ended up signing up for Venice marathon. So. Hi!

• Yeah 3 of us running Venice !!!! I doubt I will win now!!!

Well done Sasha - you know it makes sense......... are you staying on the island or mainland?

Heroine, I have a few planned as well now. Venice (oct), Portsmouth (dec), Jerusalum (mar), Brighton (Apr) and London (apr) and now i am scared.

• Well, I can say with a complete certainty that I will not win. image I'm staying on the mainland. As a general rule I always try to minimise the distance I need to travel to the startline, so I figured staying in Mestre is the best option for me. How about you?

• I opted for the island, but close to where the bus picks up to take runners to the start. From a marathon point of view I think Mestre makes more sense, but as this is a holiday as well, i opted for the island.

Less than 5 months now!

• I heard that Mestre is a bit of a dump, but Venice is quite expensive. I have no idea, my financial backer is already getting into a flap about where to stay.

• Hi SashaAD, great choice of Marathon (I hope!). Tell us a bit about yourself - is this your first marathon attempt, your 20th? (we want to know how to gague your mental state image), have you got a training plan for Venice, tell us eeeeverything!!

Wenturtle - when I'm at home I shall start a list of all the runs we are doing, that's a really good haul there, I am totally image at Jerusalem, that is awesome!! I know someone who has just done that one, I think he found it quite a journey. I too am going to be doing London, which is 2 weeks after Paris - I see you're attempting a 2 week break as well as I believe Brighton is on the same weekend as Paris. I am bricking it!!!

• yes not a clever idea 2 marathons in 2 weeks as my legs are dead for 4 weeks after a hard marathon. Is Paris or London your A race?

• Heroine, the fact that I signed up for this marathon based on this thread and some googling tell you everything you need to know about my mental state. image  I see from the list of marathons you plan on doing that you're both lightyears away from me. Venice is going to be my second one. My first was Marine Corps Marathon in DC in 2012 and I couldn't have asked for the better experience. Venice will have a lot to live up to. image

I would have loved to stay on the island, but being a poor grad student my budget doesn't stretch that far, especially for a trip that wasn't even supposed to happen. I found a reasonably priced room on Airbnb. The reviews are all glowing, so I'm hoping it will all be fine.

As for training plan, haven't completely made up my mind yet, but will probably end up going with Higdon's intermediate. I did his novice one for MCM and was pretty happy with the results.

Wenturtle, how long are you staying for in Venice? I am awestruck at your "marathons to do" list.

• RACE LIST:

29th June: Torbay Half - Heroine
    23rd Aug:
    Thames Meander Half - Heroine
    7th Sept:
    Cheltenham Half - Heroine
    28th Sept:
    Loch Ness Marathon - Heroine
    26th Oct: Venice Marathon - Heroine, Wenturtle, SashaAd
    21st Dec: Portsmouth Marathon - Wenturtle
    Feb 2015: Watford Half - Heroine
    13th March 2015: Jerusalum Marathon - Wenturtle
    12th April 2015: Brighton Marathon - Wenturtle, Paris Marathon - Heroine
    26th April 2015: Virgin London Marathon - Heroine, Wenturtle
    25th May 2015: Bupa London 10k - Heroine

Come on then, bring out your dead! What should I add to the list?!

• SashaAd wrote (see)

Heroine, the fact that I signed up for this marathon based on this thread and some googling tell you everything you need to know about my mental state. image  I see from the list of marathons you plan on doing that you're both lightyears away from me. Venice is going to be my second one. My first was Marine Corps Marathon in DC in 2012 and I couldn't have asked for the better experience. Venice will have a lot to live up to. image

---

Don't be fooled, Venice will be my 2nd as well, I ran my first marathon in April this year, in Paris. Then everything got a bit silly and I've signed up to a few more!

I would love to run in America, but I'd have to sell all of my possessions (and probably half of my family!) to get there. I've heard people speak well of Marine Corps Mara, it's obviously a good one.

• I really want to make the quote box thing work but it won't!

Wenturtle - Paris will be my A race, London is just a bonus and will probably involve some walking image 

• Sasha, I have only been running for 3.5 years and did my first marathon 3 years ago and loved it, so since then signed up for more. I really love the overseas marathons as its a great way to get to see a city and get the atmosphere.

I use the P&D schedule last spring but before that used none. I might do the P&D 12 week schedule for venice.

Only other race i am signed up for is brighton half marathon 22 Feb 2015, but will probably add a 10k or 2 to that and another half at some point. BUT NO MORE MARATHONS.

Oh the "" will not work on iphones etc, but should work on a normal PC.

• Wenturtle, I completely agree with you on overseas marathons. Though I am slightly worried about the language barrier, if things don't go right.

I considered P&D schedule, but it looks way too complicated and hardcore for me. I love the simplicity of Higdon plans: "wake up, run x miles". image

Heroine, well, I may be running London, I may not. Will have to wait till October to find out (my money is on not. Again.). The only other races I do, are occasional parkruns. Does that count? image I am making tentative plans to go back to DC for MCM next year, luck and finances permitting. I'll have to wait and see.