Running with a rupture - and not where you think!

I've just been told I have to have further surgery after post-breast cancer implant rupture. Should I carry on running until my op given that it may be a couple of weeks away, or just stop so as not to cause further leakage? Odd question I know but I'd got myself running faster pace for longer after years of being stuck at one slow pace & don't want to wait too long. My last run was a week ago & I have to admit my chest muscles were very sore and my left arm felt a bit restricted (May have just answered my own question!). Any advice on this odd problem?!

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭

prob best to ask your surgeon/cancer nurse?  Although you will need a few weeks off after surgery anyway - are they replacing the implant?  (Just curious as I have same)

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

No, it's two weeks, it sounds like common sense says that going two weeks without running isn't exactly that big a deal. 

Catch up on a TV boxset, then just get back running when You can. My implants were cosmetic, but I felt shite for 3 weeks, was back running after about 6-7 weeks. 

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭

Just spoken to BC nurse who suggested the following [obvious really] -

"if it hurts, don't do it".

The rupture has spread under my armpit so is pressing on nerves and quite uncomfortable so [as a runner herself] maybe put my feet up or walk in the meantime. I cycle to work so can get some exercise from that.

However, after confessing I'd just mowed the lawn and done some heavy weeding, she asked if I didn't have someone who could take over the heavy duties - I had to laugh, as I do have a husband but he doesn't do anything remotely physical or that might mean he has to get up from the TV / PC. I quite often end up asking a male friend to come and 'do things' in the garden / DIY for me!image

I'm off to have a cuppa now as I'm knackered! He did make the tea btw.

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭

Now had my surgery and am at home recovering - at least 3/4 months of not running!

I couldn't have the implant replaced as the rupture was so bad, it had left infection / inflammation and whatnot behind.

I cannot get a definitive answer [maybe there isn't one] as to why the implant ruptured in the first place? Has anyone else had a rupture and been told that it was due to running? If so, I'll find another way to keep fit, but am reluctant, as I've been running for 30 years!