Recovering from Knee Injury

Good evening Runners,

I am new to this, so please forgive me if I am posting something that has already been posted, but I'm looking for some advice.

Last November I dislocated my knee, alongside that I damaged cartridge and it has been a nightmare ever since. Pain wise, I'm a lot better than I was, although when I start running I do feel a considerate amount. It has been 6 months now so I would like to get back into it.

I'm fed up of not being active, so I'm after a good quality knee support, or advice on more recovery.

Anybody dislocated their knee before? if so, how long will did it take before you started running again? with or without a support.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Comments

• >> ✭✭✭
    Cartilage damage is often permanent. Dislocation shouldn't really be the problem. Only the meniscus only the outer proportion has a minimal blood supple so small damage may repair slowly. Larger tears and any damage in the inner proportion is permanent. I would have seemed medical advice regarding whether I should run with such an injury. What did the doctors say re the cartilage ?
  • I have had conflicting advice. It hasn't helped that I've had to relocate with work so changing GP and practice has been tough.

The consultant said that all I need to do is build up my quads, which I have done squats and bike whereas I saw a private knee physio who suggested the only outcome would be surgery - I haven't actually torn cartilage, I've damaged it which would mean the op would only be a small one. The NHS isn't having it though
  • >> ✭✭✭
    Athroscopy versus Sham operation (where no operation) was quite telling - there was no difference. Have you looked at the evidence on it?
  • >> ✭✭✭

Conclusion: In this trial involving patients without knee osteoarthritis but with symptoms of a degenerative medial meniscus tear, the outcomes after arthroscopic partial meniscectomy were no better than those after a sham surgical procedure

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305189

Do your research before contemplating surgery. If a surgeon is suggesting conservative measures, well, that is even more reason not to do it! Sports injury is the best money maker for private orthopods and I am sure it definitely influences their decisions. The average orthopod doubles his income and makes an additional £100,000 from their private practice despite most of their time being in the NHS.