sub 2hr half marathon target

Ive just signed up for severn bridge half marathon end of august. Im hoping to do sub 2hr I havent done much running of late but now that i have a new job ive halved my commute to and from work which will enable me to train after work My previous running pbs are 10k 53.56mins, half marathon 2hr 36 secs I have run marathons and a double trail marathon but these were back in 2011 If anyone is running a half and aiming for similar target id love to share tips and the ups and downs of training. Im officially started training today and run 6 miles tonight

Comments

• best of luck triggerfish. 

I ran my first half marathon back in march, managed it in 1h57mins. Just got to focus on those 9 min miles as you're going around (nice round number to count off :P). I learnt late on in training to keep my LSD's slower then HMP, and that i know helped a lot image. But i reckon with all you've done in the past, you've probably got a better grasp then me on what you need to do image. Not sure theres much advice i could offer image.

My second half marathon is in a couple of weeks time (june 8th) a very hilly race, where getting another sub 2hours will be my challenge again. After that i'll be looking to do another one or two this year as well, august, and october i think.

I think you're going to nail sub 2 hours happily this time around image. It's all in the LSD training image

• Thanks for comments. Id def agree with longer runs at slower pace. I find hill work and speed work invaluable even though they are hard

Ive had bad pain across my chest today so going to rest today and see how i feel on sunday. If i feel ok ill try some gentle hill work
  • Hi Triggerfish, I'm also looking for a sub 2 for my next half at the beginning of October. 

I won't need to start training until around July though so my plans until then are to train for a couple of 10ks and a 7 mile race. I'm currently doing a low mileage marathon recovery schedule which finishes in a couple of weeks as my legs are still a tad heavy from the marathon which was almost 3 weeks ago. 

I've only done one half so far which was in March, finished in 2 hrs 4 mins, so I'm hoping the 10k work plus the right hm training plan will get me a sub 2. Still shopping around for a schedule I like though but there's plenty of time image. My last 10k race was in February, finished in 56 mins but my training at the time was all geared towards endurance. 

Gonna head down to my local parkrun tomorrow to brush off the cobwebs and test out how well the legs are recovering. Everyone keeps telling me that it's easy to get a pb after a marathon but to be honest I've been finding 3 and 4 mile easy runs during the last week have been a bit of a challenge!!! 

• after my first half mara i felt like that for a week Emjay, so can imagine it'd be 3 times worse for a full mara imageimage. But yes, once the legs have recovered, should find some good times come your way image.

• I hope so Peter! To be honest the stiffness in my legs afterwards wasn't much worse than after the half, not being able to get down the stairs our out of a chair etc lol. Its the fact that your legs still feel lethargic for weeks afterwards when you try and run that reminds you that you're still recovering. But it was my first marathon so only to be expected I suppose! 

Looking forward to the next half though, I loved my first one.

Which one are you doing? 

• Hope your training goes well triggerfish.

Also aiming for sub 2 at the start of October.

It's my first HM, Furthest race I've done so far is 10k, finished one this week in 50mins which was a pb. My "long run" is only 7.5 miles, so will need to up that distance over the coming weeks and months I reckon!

• Hey. Thanks for encouragement

Itll be good to use this for training thread

Im planning on a run later if my chest is ok

Going to plan training plan this weekend and do my upmost to stick to it

Good luck to everyone

Hannah
  • anniesophieanniesophie ✭✭✭
    Hi tf, have also signed up for Severn bridge half.....only managed sub 2 once at Bath last year, would love to again but my old legs get very stroppy on the hilly bits so not too sure! Also signed up for (new) Gloucester 10k on 13 July which should help with hm pacing plan. Off to Kent Roadrunner marathon next week so will need to take it easy for couple of weeks to recover!

Have fun sorting out a training plan.
  • Hope the chest is feeling better Hannah and you have a good run. 

Enjoy your taper anniesophie! 

No pb for me today at parkrun, finished in 27:26 so I have work to do!! But it was chucking it down with rain so had a fun time anyway & it felt good to be back running at something a tad more pacey than my pre/post marathon training pace image. Really need to get some quality sessions in though ASAP if I want a sub 2. 

Which half are you doing zicksi? I'm doing bournemouth on the 5th October.

• Hey. Parkrun time seems ok to me, well done

Weather hammering down here so ive not ventured out

Hoping to go tomorrow instead
  • Doing Glasgow Emjay, also on 5th October. I'm sure with that attitude it won't be long before you start seeing some quicker times, time seems fine to me given you've just done a marathon! Glad you had fun at the parkrun. image

Hope weather improves where you are and you enjoy your run Hannah.

• Official training day 1

Weather hammering down. 1mile warm up 20mins hill work session, 3 mile jog back

Good luck to anyone venturing out in this
  • 4 mile walk completed yesterday

Gentle 5 mile route planned for tonight after work
  • Nice one triggerfish. I haven't really planned training yet, but 8.5 miles done yesterday.

• 8.5miles pretty impressive. Im planning on building up in next couple of weeks.did plan on doing gym session so see what time i finish work
  • Official training day 3

4miles gentle jog. Rain. Legs tired
  • I've had a good week, decided to ditch the recovery programme yesterday  (its almost 4 weeks now after all) and start the sub 50 10k training plan which is in this months RW. I won't be following the plan exactly as my race dates don't tally up and I'd rather do 5 runs a week than 4 where possible, but thought it was a good place to start from to plan in some intervals/hill sessions etc. I doubt I'll get a sub 50 but the next plan up was sub 60... 

So did 4 miles on Tuesday with last mile tempo, 5 miles wednesday with some on trail so my feet got soaked, then 2 mile warm up followed by hill intervals yesterday image. Park run tomorrow at easy pace with my friend and then 7 miles on Sunday. Plan says 9 but I don't want to increase the mileage too quickly just yet due to lingering tendonitis in my foot image

Whats everyone's plans for the weekend? 

• I'm another person chasing sub 2. My target race isn't til Feb 2015 so got a bit of time. I recently did 2:01:48 on an undulating course. An hoping a flat course will help me make up nearly 2 mins.

Plan for this summer is to find a 10k to target and then just try to maintain fitness. Will be watching how people get on on this thread.
  • I havent got whole lot planned. Went on drink and dance night last night so been relacing today.

Plan for tomorrow is a longer run, maybe 7.5 or 8 if i can. New trainers srrived today saucony guide 7. Cant believe how dear shoes have gone. Must be because running is just so popular companies can bump up price

Good weather tomorrow, hopefully
  • Bit different for me, tried a trail run today. Found a nice one near where I stay.

Really tough mind, took me 33mins just to do 5k! Slowed down quite a bit to pass the dog walkers though, and a nice change from the roads.

• dam dog walkers clogging up our running routes! shouldn't be allowed! 

and don't get my started on cyclists on cycle paths! grr they make me so angry. :P

(I jest of course,.. mostly :P)

• No running in the end over the weekend. Went jet skiing instead yesterday. Not the best start to a training programme. Ill have to go tonight instead
  • With yesterday's weather I think you can be excused for opting for jet skiing instead! image

• Hi all, recovering from very hot and hilly kent roadrunner marathon on Saturday....great event but no shade at all. Lovely for spectators though, and enjoyed the many skylarks singing along! Was really slow... 5:15... but was 2nd female in my new age category ( officially old now)!!

Will start to do some gentle recovery runs over next few days and see how it goes....might do some parkruns to get the pace up a bit!

Trigger jet skiing sounds sooo cool for a hot sunny day, great choice

Emjay I've got gloucester 10k on 13 July and aiming to get sub55
  • Hi well done on marathon race. I did saxon shore marathons 2011 in Deal. Lovely down there. Not a patch on wales but fish and chips were more or less on par image

1 hour hilly route tonight in my new daps and 2mile walk this evening. Rest tomorrow then long run planned for thursday
  • Well done on the marathon anniesophie, hope the legs are recovering well, fantastic finish time for a hot day plus hilly event! image

I've had a bit of a lazy week so far, only managed a 4 miler with three short 5k intervals (ran out of time to finish off the session of 6) then an easy 3 miler on weds. Parkrun tomorrow then 8m Sunday. Will 'try' and get out for a run this afternoon as I'm keen to try and stick to a five run week. 

• 7.2 miles completed this morning. Struggled bit so think i need to do some speed work in week. Hill training starting to show improvements slowlu in normal running

Hope everyones been running this weekend. Weather been good today
  • Well done tf, it was hot out there today.

First run since marathon...steady 3m, legs thought they were in Himalayas so not quite recovered yet!
  • 50minutes hill training completed thid week and 6.5 mile hilly run yesterday. Jet ski last night so rest today.

Planning 8 moler tomorrow as a birthday treat. Sad eh
  • Working hard on the hills triggerfish, well done!

Did parkrun today - worked the legs hard for first time since the marathon and managed each mile progressively faster...pleased with that.