Sub 3h15

Comments

• And to be fair, s/he was rightimage Nice mileage.

Lorenzo, good news!

OO, world-class eating!

Weightloss 2.75lb this week making 4lb in all; knew it was an odd reading on the scales last week image
    6 miles gentle XC today; 193 miles for the month; new local 10k race tomorrow.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch - nice 18'er on a nice day , its 19c here ideal mara weather ...NOT image

Crash -running 193 miles probably has a little to do with the weight loss image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

TR – Good point about burning matches. I haven’t run a flat out race since XC in January.

Abbers – Good Fartlek session

Leslie – All the best of luck for Sunday!

Speedy – Excellent race win and prize money!

Birder – Sensible easy running and good luck in Snowdon and your hill training

Gul – That’s a great training plan you have completed. You deserve your leg holding together. I’ll not wish you good luck, how about break a leg instead?image

KR – Excellent weeks running!

Poacher – I’m so excited for your Comrade running! I’m glad to hear you should be dandruff free image

Marrows – Nice short fast reps and good luck in your mile race

moof – Sorry to hear your hamstring problem has been aggrevated again. Remember to R.I.C.E.

Jools – Nice 12 miler and upper body violin workoutimage

Menn – I hope your calf niggle clears up

Lorenzo – You’ll be running as I type so I hope it all goes fantastically well

OO – I hope your Parkrun went well  - fatty image

Birch – Nice 18 miler including the Parkrun encouragement!

CH – Good running and weight loss. Good luck for the 10k

Thanks again for all the kind encouraging words. I ran 16 miles yesterday and another 18 today including a 18:53 Parkrun after 13 miles. Just 2 weeks to go now until my 100k. I've a bit of a niggle with my right quad so currently sitting with an ice pack after some painful rolling. I think it's about time I backed off and got the cotton wool out!image

I managed 347 miles in May including 2 marathons, a 50k ultra and 3 x 5k Parkruns. image

• Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Kayano 388g
    Cadence 2 314g
    Cadence 3 283g

That's a ludicrous 105g lighter per shoe!

I just weighed my shoes and they are 219g each, another 64g lighters. They are Saucony Kinvara 4 but even my Pegasus only weigh 280g.

Guess Gul is done, too late to wish good luck.

• Leslie, yep! Calorie counting on myfitnesspal and eating back most of the calories earned from running. Worked really well for me before, but I got injured in an IM and kept eating like I was IM training, so put a stone or so back on. Mmm, calories!

Badbark, easy, tiger!

PMJ, damn all you neutral runners with your finely-controlled pronation and your featherweight minimalist shoes image I've never had shoes which didn't weigh the same as the average supermini before!

Supposed to be working...

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Hello all. Nice to see many familiar faces, including Birch and BB cranking out the miles and PMJ cranking out the numbers. Well done on the weight loss CH. Similar motivation got me out the door today.

Daily total: 3.5 miles

Weekly total: 3.5 miles

Monthly total: 3.5 miles

Yearly total: 3.5 miles

My news years resolution was 'not entering any races all year and just enjoying doing exercise'. - So far the first part is on track. Not doing so well on the second part! image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

KR - good week of running!
    marrows - nice reps.
    Moof - hope the rest sorts out your hamstring.
    Jools - nice steady.
    Mennania - go easy on that calf!
    CH - nice dreadmill reps. Excellent mileage for the month.
    Lorenzo - sounds promising.
    Birch - nice 18 miler.
    Badbark - be careful with that quad.
    Keir - nice to hear from you again. 100% increase in mileage for June perhaps?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OK - so here's my report from the Kent Roadrunner 2014 marathon. Arrived at the Cyclopark around 7:30 and it was fairly warm already. Picked up my number and chip and had a surprise when I bumped into an ex-colleague. He did the roadrunner in 2012 and said it was a good marathon. I did a bit of a warm-up and everything felt fine, but the sun was out and no clouds in sight. Worse than that, the course was fairly undulating with one really steep short hill (or steep for me anyway).
    So on a hot day, a so-so course, and virtually no running for 3 weeks, a potential injury waiting to re-occur, my plan was obviously to take it easy, right? Noooo! The first lap (2.307km) finished in 9:08 (6:22 m/m?). I knew that was way too fast, so slowed down for the second lap (2.493km) in 10:22 (6:42m/m). Still way too fast and slightly suicidal pace.
    I then settled down to a more sensible pace - the remainiing 16 laps were all 2.493km - lap 3 in 10:58, lap 4 in 11:23,  lap 5 = 11:32 (just outside 3:15 pace). The crazy early pace and the heat was starting to take it's toll and I'd only done 7 or 8 miles. Started to seriosuly slow down, lap 6 = 11:55, lap 7  = 12:33, lap 8 = 12:55. The final straw was a pain in the left hip and I decided to DNF after lap 9 (24:35 = walking back to the end of the lap).
    So I made a complete pig's ear of that then. I can't believe I made such a schoolboy error. Anyway, everything seems fine now and the calf/achilles/ankle held up fine.
    Not sure where to go from here. Take a bit of time to think about it.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Good luck to Poacher and Leslie tomorrow. Why am I complaining about the heat when it's probably three times as hot in South Africa?!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul , sorry to hear that , I thought you might do well despite the recent form   image Peaked about about 21c here today I wouldn't get too far in that ...Take a week or 2 rest and then plan ahead.image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul, really sorry to hear you had a bad day . . . . . .

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you had a mare Gul, really feel disappointed for you. If only your marathon was a month ago I'm sure you would have achieved a great result.

Nice to hear from you Keir, decent mileage, planning on an ultra?

• Good to hear from you Keir - looks like the mileage is building nicely!!

Sorry to hear about your experience Gul. There's got to be something that you can put all that quality training to good use for.

So, Stockholm.

The good news is that after having woken up drenched in sweat on Thursday night and having had a better but still broken night last night I did at least make it to the start line today having wished a very nervous Mrs L all the best as she was on a different start.

Even better news, I managed to finish but it's fair to say it was looking uncertain at various points in the race. Suffice to say it was a race of two halves as a result of blind optimism that my body was going to be in good shape despite the fever.

With no watch or Garmin the idea was to run to feel and see how it ended up. Stockholm's more rolling than pancake flat (compared to London) so a PB was never on the cards but I thought that this would help me relax and enjoy myself. WRONG!!

I was ticking along nicely at 4:30 / K pace for the first half (1:35 and a bit at the split) when I suddenly detonated and started going backwards at an alarming rate. Never have my quads felt so heavy in a race, especially at such an early point and the second half was such a struggle to keep putting one foot in from of the other. I also can't remember the last time I had to stop and walk for short patches, but it was the only way I could keep going.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finished in 3:27:26, my worst time for quite some time and the only consolation is that there were extenuating circumstances but I really should have taken them into account from the word go and as a result I can't really say I enjoyed any part of the race other than bit coming into the stadium and then collapsing in a heap after the finish line. Ho hum.

On a much more positive note Mrs L is grinning from ear to ear as a result of beating her 5 hour target time for her marathon debut and that was the main point in coming out here, so it's not all doom and gloom. Delighted for her and it was also pretty amazing to sit in the Olympic stadium and watch the runners come in and see the looks of ecstasy on the faces, the sprints for the line and the struggles for those who cramped up less than 100m from the end. Just reminded me what a great sport this running lark really is!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Gul, you trained hard but the potential for difficulties was clear. Best wait and see how the injuries pan out in the next few days- hopefully the DNF will limit the damage.

Tough day at the office for you too Lorenzo- but good news elsewhere in the family.

I also got what I deserved in the parkrun with a 19 minute shocker. A true perspective was given though by 2 tragedies at the coast. An elderly swimmer died in the sea off Tynemouth, then a lady on her way to the parkrun was knocked over and has severe head injuries.  Take care all....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    (((Gul))) So sorry to hear that.

Lorenzo - it was Mrs L's day and well done to her.

Keir - lol!

OO - oh dear, shocking news on both fronts. It's been a sad day further North too with 3 people killed and others hurt here at the Jim

Clark rally. All spectators.

OO - I was down your neck of the woods the other day. Had to drop someone off at the hospital and wait for them so took the boy for a session at your Monkseaton track then mooched around tynemouth.

Poacher - zip it up and enjoy dude.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Minni the moocher....

Was there myself of Friday doing mile reps with OO junior.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Tough days for Gul and Lorenzo, but both of you know why things didn't go to plan.  Hope you both recover well.  Big congrats to Mrs. L!

Off for a 'long' run shortly (15M, so longest for a while, but as marathon training is just around the corner I know it's only a MLR really...)

Backed up Friday's 2.5 hours of violin playing with a 3 hour rehearsal and then performance of Verdi Requiem, so now have very sore fingertips on my left hand.  Also did my first parkrun for almost a year, and reminded myself how tough the Ashton Court course is: 20.09 with paces varying from 7.15m/m (uphill first mile ) to 5.30m/m (downhill final mile!).

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - sorry to hear you a tough day too - must be down to the virus or whatever you went down with this week. But congrats to Mrs L - is she talking about the next one yet?
    Jools - enjoy the long run - looks like another scorcher. Sounds like a tough parkrun - well done.
    Still really mad with myself, but starting to calm down a bit. Calves are really tight today. I was thinking yesterday that my body is just not up to marathon training and was on the verge of giving up on ever running one. But today, I know that I can't admit defeat. I had already decided that my next step would be to get a decent core strength routine in place and stick to it. After that we'll see...
    Has Poacher already started? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Go Poacher!  Halfway and, if the blue marker on the map is anything to go by, looking good (ie moving consistently in the right direction). image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - I'd say your body is up to marathon training - after all, you put together a long  buildup -  maybe a slightly shorter plan could be the way? As Moof said, had the race been a month ago, then who knows what you may have achieved. Is an Autumn marathon possible for you? Mablethorpe is on 05 October; you could tick over and regroup during June, then a 10 week block starting 07 July, with a 3 week taper takes you to the start line image Whatever you decide, I'm sure you do have a fine marathon within, and one day you'll produce the goods. 

Tough day for Lorenzo, but well battled to make the finish; big congrats to MrsL - always memorable to bag the first one, and within target too!  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

What's Poacher's number anyone?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher seems to be nailing this.  His position at checkpoint 3 is more than 1000 places up on his first checkpoint.  That's a lot of people!

• Blimey, that's good going by Poacher!

Gul, ouch, was really hoping it would come together for you! Cruel game, marathon running.

Lorenzo, unlucky, but still good to dog out a 3:27 (it's inside my PB!) Well done on pushing Mrs L down the slippery slope to distance running madness too.

Keir, loving your flagrant disregard of the 10% rule! What is 110% of nothing anyway?image

OO, nice 19 minute disaster (do you think hanging round this thread with a load of fast people will make me quicker? I'm hoping some of it will rub off!)

Jools, how do you find the time to be good at two hobbies?

Local 10k today. Didn't win. 44:24, pretty even splits 7:09 7:08 7:10 7:10 7:16 (oops) 7:05 and 6:30 pace to the finish. 65 sec shy of my PB at a stone heavier, so not too bad. Tunnock's Caramel Wafer in the goody bag. All is right with the world.

• Poacher's number is 11519.

Quads still stiff (much more than post London) - Mrs L has said that she's not planning on doing another marathon..........yet!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

CH: kind of you, but I fear I achieve mediocrity at both - you only have to look at the results someone like Lit achieves to see that.  And in terms of time investment, as the violin was my passion as a teenager and I practised my fingers to the bone, I can get by on not a huge amount of practice these days to keep ticking over, and just tend to up the practice when I've got a concert coming up (I've got a sextet/octet concert on 10th June, hence the panicked practice currently taking place!).

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Sorry to hear about your marathon but Mrs L did well. You already ran one great marathon this year!! Thanks for Poachers number btw!

Jools - You are very modest and I'd say you are light years away from mediocrity. I'd have a stab and say you must be amongst the top 100 of female marathon runners in the country. Very mediocre!image Don't mention June 10th, I have an exam that day!!!!! 

CH - Nice 10k, keep at it!

Gul - Gutted for you, but try not to be too down or hard on yourself. Marathon training is a very tricky thing to get right. I have tried twice and failed but I am sure you will bounce back and be back running at the level you were before you got injured. Like the sound of more emphasis on core work, it's got to help!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

I see Zola Budd completed the Comrades in 6:55 today to finish 7th, not bad for a 48 year old!

• Gul - Sorry to hear that.  I'd have said pretty much the same as Birch.  How are you feeling now about your decision to stop when you did?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Poacher!  Can't wait to hear ALL about it!  Awesome.

• Fab stuff from Poacher. Many stories on the way I feel!!