Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Poacher image  (and Ellie Greenwood: first female British winner)

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Walled city marathon for me today.

After several days rest to help my hamstring heal a bit before I decided to go for it and stuck with the 3:15 pacer to about 10 miles and it felt fine but soon after it became obvious if I didn't ease of the pace I wouldn't be going much further so I slowed and went though half in 99 mins after that the next goal was to get were my family were standing at 16 miles where I promptly stopped and stopped the garmin !

A short time passed and I decided I wasn't quite beaten so I pushed on but every 2 mile or so I was walking sometimes for a considerable time between jogs it seemed.My leg hamstring was sore but trying to save it by working the right leg harder by about mile 20 and it was cooked as well.Pace dropped to 12 min.miles at a stage so walking was hardly losing any time.

A quick bit of maths after the 3:45 pacer passed me at mile 23 suggested if I pushed on I could break 4 hrs so i pushed but it was slow .

Saw a man collapse with less than a mile to go with calve cramp but there was a policeman who was helping him so I laboured on and finished in I think 3:49. I was never so glad to see the finish image The medal was massive and tbh its all that kept me going as I wanted it bad image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

Well done, Poacher image  (and Ellie Greenwood: first female British winner)

Here here, all hail Poacher! Well done that's a very good time don't know how you can do it!

Jools - Ellie Greenwood defeated the Russian sisters (can't remember their names) who have won it 8 times between them in the past 8 years!! What a victory and looking at her splits came from way behind to take the win.

Leslie - Well toughed out. Sounds like you deserved a medal!!image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ouch, sounds like a difficult day for marathons (except for Mrs Lorenza image). Sorry Lorenzo, Gul and Leslie had less-than-ideal races; knowing when to DNF (or indeed DNS) is important too though.

I can't even get my head round what Poacher's been up to.

Joolska wrote (see)

CH: kind of you, but I fear I achieve mediocrity at both - you only have to look at the results someone like Lit achieves to see that.

Who, me? I think my times are pretty similar to yours (some slightly faster, some slightly slower), so either we're both mediocre or we're both brilliant! I'm crap at playing the cello though.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, but it's taken me a lot longer and a great deal more work to get there, Lit... 2 more hours of practice = even sorer arms and fingers. Concert had better be fantastic!
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

To reiterate the literate, Ouch indeedy. But these are the days that make us stronger.

Poacher-Amazing! but I didn't expect anything less!!imageimage

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

CH - good effort in the 10k. PB next time.
    Birch - autumn marathon is definitely worth considering, thanks.
    TAR - right decision; it was just the first 2 laps that were oh-so wrong.
    Leslie - sorry it wasn't to be, but well done on toughing that one out - not such a wimp as me!
    Poacher - !!!!!!!!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul - don't be hard on yourself mate image, I really should have sacked it at halfway its just after taking 3 nights of work to run this I wanted to at least finish, dnf was in my mind till I got far enough that there was no turning back.image None of us oldies are really cut out for mara running and its pot luck if you are fit on the day ,we weren't, at the end of march id have probably smashed it easy, been downhill since then.image

• Vets AC track champs today combined with the Surrey and Sussex vets so a good field. 3 full 5000m races: women, then men 35, 40 and 45, then then men 50 and older. Couple of miles gentle warm up and then onto the track and a quick chat to try and find someone going at my pace. The plan was to get as close to 18 as possible with half an eye on going sub 18 if possible. A 5000m is 12.5 laps and 90 seconds a lap gives you 18:45 so I needed to make about 3 seconds a lap up on 90 pace.

Gun goes and the first lap was 83 so fast but felt comfortable and I have settled down to a pace just off the front group so that is OK as the said they were looking at 17 or faster.  Second lap and pace is still high and easy and third lap I am already about 15 seconds ahead and Garmin says the first mile in 5:33 though I pass 1600m in about 5:40 so have 20 of the 45 seconds I need in the bag so just need another 25 seconds over the next 2 and a bit miles.

By now I am settled in and there is a guy behind me puffing and panting and just staying behind me and holding on so I keep pushing but he keeps hanging on so we move each other on at a nice pace. The laps tick by and the maths says I am still banking seconds so I ease up to 27, 28 seconds and only 4.5 laps to go. Starts to get heavy but I can feel the end coming close and suddenly I am over 30 seconds ahead of pace and I know that a low 18 is there for certain so just need to hold form. The winner laps me with about 600m to go and then I am through the bell and just 400m to go. Heavy breather starts to come past and I can't respond but need to concentrate on my own race and get round to 150m to go and can start to wind it up in a last effort. I can see the clock showing 17 and keep pushing and cross the line in 17:57/8.

Need to wait for an official result but will be sub 18 and the aim for the year was to get at least one sub 18 so that is ticked off. Now it is done, plenty of time to try a faster one.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Sorry to read Gul, Lorenzo and Leslie didn’t have the best of days over the weekend. There will always be another race and I’m sure you have all learnt valuable lessons.

Poacher – Absolutely fantastic Sir! I enjoyed following you online and cheered when you made it. I’m really looking forward to your race report and I hope you make it a big one.

PMJ – Excellent sub 18 5k! Well done

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wow, well done PMJ.  That's a great run!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Leslie sounds like you had a tough day well done for seeing it through.

Great racing PMJ, nice to get that sub 18.

Congratulations to Mrs Lorenzo, nice to see someone have a decent marathon, sorry it didn't work out for you Lorenzo.

Poacher- amazing.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - I too think you have a good mara in you, training times look strong. I know it's cheezy but sometimes you can more from failure than from success. See how you feel after a while and please consider another one soon

Leslie - not your day but well toughed out

Lorenzo - ditto but an excellent performance from Mrs L

PMJ - quality racing from a quality athlete

CH - spot on re Tunnocks
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Meant to add: nice loafing by Keir

Thanks for all the kind thoughts on Comrades. Been up since 0130 so wont say anything now except: its a really tough day in many ways, dug deep to get round in 8.48 (not seen official results). Big thanks to Bike It for his generous and very useful advice
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Poacher- always have to admire those who do things I couldn't dream of.

CH- stick around you will indeed see a big benefit from listening to these guys and girls.

Very nippy there PMJ, and congrats to Leslie H on what seems like a tough day at the office.

17 for me today averaging sub 8 pace. I was 7lb lighter when I got home.    

Mediocre Jools, are you having a laugh...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Excellent news re your 5,000, that's fast!!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done PMJ.

OO-51 wrote (see)

17 for me today averaging sub 8 pace. I was 7lb lighter when I got home.

7lb?! Did you have a poo en route as well?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - well done on the sub 17 - excellent racing.
    Poacher - absolutely awesome achievement - look forward to the report.
    OO - well done on the 17 miler. It was too hot for me just lazing around let alone running anywhere.
    Off to find a decent core strength routine.

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Poacher - fantastic, a just reward foe your unwaivering commitment 

Gul, Lorenzo - you cant control the uncontrollables as they say. Regroup for next time   

PMJ - fast... well done,

As for me - first run since the marathon on Friday, supposed to be easy but couldnt resist 6m tempo building to a 6mm. Stupidity rules.Sunday 7m, no idea what pace was since I bust my Garmin in the pool...forgot they werent waterprooof. Stupidity rules. 

There is definately the hunger and desire to get back on it for an Autumn Marathon after Edinburgh, wasnt sure how I'd feel. Dublin is the one... 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Wonderful, Poacher - eagerly awaiting full report  . . . .
    Splendid (albeit slightly shorter) outing from Philip (deserves a Tunnock's, I would say)
    Commiserations to Leslie - as with Lorenzo & Gul - most of us have been there, and there, and come back stronger  . . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

just fluids and energy (as far as I recall Lit. image). Seem to have lost all the weight from last weeks excesses in Spain.

Minni are you doing Baydon on the 9th June?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all, a quick read back reveals some contrasting fortunes for the weekend racers.

Gul - sorry to hear about the DNF. You put a lot of work in over a long period, and problems cropped up at just the wrong time. Re-group and go again. We all know you can run a fast mara if things go your way.

Lorenzo - given your lurgy in the build up, it was touch & go whether you'd even start, so there's nothing wrong with a 3:27. Huge congrats to Mrs L too.

Leslie - as with Gul, sounds like it was just destined not to be your day, but well ground out, and you still got the medal in a time many would be delighted with.

Poacher - amazing achievement. I'm quite in awe. Congratulations, and rest & recover well!

PMJ - quick racing there; target achieved. More to come?

And a welcome back to Keir too.

Good weekend of mixed sporting activity for me. 8.5 easy miles on Saturday morning to bring up 38 for the week, a few runs & a couple of wickets on Saturday afternoon, but in a losing cause this time, and then an hour on the old, heavy, slow MTB last night over an undulating route.

• Cracking time, Poacher! Sounds like you paced it well, too!

PJF, yep, we all have times like that... image

Nice long run OO and cracking weight loss too.

PMJ, that's a great run!

Jools, not sure 'mediocre' is being entirely fair on yourself! I suppose it's always easy to compare yourself to someone better than you (and compared to the appropriate WR holder, we're probably all somewhat ordinary) but take the time to look around at the people who will never run better than 3:30, 4:00, 5:00 and it's pretty obvious that you're pretty good! As someone who is tone deaf, I'd absolutely love to be a good enough musician to play in public (and all the hard work in the world would never make me anything better than passable)

Abbers, that's a triathamalon of sorts image

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Fantastic Poacher! Hoping for gurny race pics - I've had enough of people looking OK while running a really long way. Maybe some grizzly foot snaps too image

Excellent 5K from you too PMJ. you must be pleased with that.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Please - no more foot pics  . . . . .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Crash - indeed, although made up the proper tri at lunch by running to the pool, then 3x300m, and running back. Like to add a bit of variety rather than just running, especially in the summer.

And I'm with Birch on the great foot pics debate.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Its nice to chalk off a target PMJ - Great 5k

Aren't  Manky feet photos akin to a badge of honour for long distance athletesimage

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

I've been subjected to a blokes feet on facebook who just ran the 145 mile GUCR, I'm sure Poachers feet will look pampered and pedicured by comparison.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PjFrizzle-that's the spirit get straight back in there for another mara , Dublin is supposed to be good.image

Gul-we will soon be back at it , we need to cash in that mara fitness.

PMJ- getting fast now.

Abbers - nice mileage for the week.

Poacher- great effort 

00-51 - nice 17 er

I'm taking the rest of the week of image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - yes I will be there. My favourite run of the year. image. You?

Gul - I've just bought 'Quick strength for Runners', Jeff Horpwitz. It was recommended to be and is an 8 week program. Waiting to the wobble board and medicine ball to arrive then I'm good to go..

PMJ - excellent stuff. Well done.

I've been doing a bit more cycling while not running so much and tempted to enter a duathlon in the summer. image