Bizarre?

Hey,

I've been running just over a month. I've gone from struggling to make a mile in any time, to an average 20 miles a week over 4 days.

I'm planning to stick with 4 running days a week, but increase distance fairly soon.

Injury:

So I've had days were there feels like pressure below my knee cap, it's a pain I've never felt before in my life. Also I get a pain where it feels like the muscle running parallel to my shin bone (Tibia?) is being pulled away. More recently I've had pains right at the bottom of my hamstring, when the muscle connects around the back of my knee.

My guess would be aches in every tendon in my legs, but the strange part is that the pain disappears completely when running, so carrying on my training as I am should be fine right?

Over reaction? Need supplementation? 

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Not sure that it's that bizzare really. No idea what the injury(ies) is but I would say that going from zero to 4 x 5 miles per week in 4-5 weeks is a big step up. I suspect your body is struggling to adapt to the sudden increase in exercise and is hurting as a result.

I would be very wary of increasing your distance at all while you're getting the assorted aches and pains even though you're pain free while you're actually running.

• "No one could be that daft" - Said the the user with the offensive username, who has probably never pushed themselves in their life.

I ran again earlier today, and the only persistent issue was the shin splints (?) Which is much less painful than before. I'm guessing I'm just not used to aches and pains in the places they are appearing.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I agree with Trogs - overuse injuries can and will disappear during a run as the muscles and tendons warm up, but you do need to let your body adapt to the new and increased load you are putting on it.  You shouldn't "expect" pain when you run, beyond a little stiffness the next day.

I'd recommend that instead of upping your mileage, you actually step back a bit, maybe rest for a week, then 3 x 3 miles for a couple of weeks, then *gradually* increase the mileage again.  Rough rule of thumb is to only add 10% on to your TOTAL mileage in any one week, with one week in 4 being a step-back week where you run less mileage/intensity.

As for supplements, you shouldn't need them - just make sure you take on some quality protein (fish/chicken) and some carbs soon after a run (half a tuna sandwich should be enough after a 3-miler), and get your 5 a day.

And don't worry about Yiddarmy - tact is not his middle name but he appears to know a bit about running.  He's just forgotten what it's like to be an enthusiastic beginner. image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Oh, and make sure most of your miles are "easy" - at a pace where you could hold a conversation.  Running too fast is a quick way to injury.