Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Minni I'm there and in the Bacchus after for a pint image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PJF - Oh no! Is the Garmin repairable? Dublin sounds good. Looking for something a bit more local personally. Is it far for you?
    Abbers - good weekend of sport.
    Birch - "Please - no more foot pics ....." Sounds a bit like Brer Rabbit and the briar patch to meimage
    Leslie - good spirit. Enjoy the rest.
    Minni - Program sounds good. I'm sticking to an equipment free routine - no more room in the house! Duathlon too!
    2 recovery miles d&d. Second core session too, plus some foam rollering and stretches. Going to be hard to fit in much running!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

ANother rest day yesterday making only 1 run in the week, but planning to go out for a slow recovery before a massage later on this evening. Hopefully can get back to something meaningful after thatimage

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Commiserations to Leslie, Lorenzo and Gul - lots of great effort in build ups but sadly not rewarded on the day.  

Very well done to Poacher on your epic adventure. I'm also looking forward to your full race report. Make it a long one!  (With foot pictures please).

Hi Keir. I'm currently running higher mileage than you! What's the world coming to?

Minni, get your ass in the pool and get a tri under your belt. You'll love it.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I forgot to say it’s good to see you posting again Keir!

OO – Nice 17 miler and weight loss

PJF – Good tempo session and sorry to read about your Garmin. I’m glad you have the hunger and fancy the Dublin Marathon. It’s my favourite marathon and I’ll be there again for the 5th time in 6 years.

Abbers – Good sporty weekend

Leslie – Enjoy the rest and I’m sure you will be back fully charged soon

Minni – A duathlon sounds like fun

Gul – Good luck with the core sessions and recovery

Menn – Enjoy the massage and getting back to training

11.5 miles pre breakfast this morning, including 10 x ½ mile intervals on grass. It’s only 11 days until my 100k so I didn’t push too hard and kept each interval between 10k and HM (about 6:05) pace. Although, I did crank up the effort for the last interval to 5:45 pace.

The niggle on my quad is clearing nicely with only a slight tightness now. I’ve no doubt I’ll be 100% come race day. The power of positive thinking rocks! image

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Gul & BB - all not lost with the Garmin. Spoke to Run4it in Glasgow and they said bring it back and exchange it, there was a faulty batch apparently... Don't feel quite so stupid now!

BB - excited for you and the 100k, no better feeling than being ready for the race.

Minni - I'm with you duathlon beats tri any day.. I find swimming boring! However... Respect triathletes ( of course)

Easy 5m today and a wee 18 holes of golf later.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Poacher you are a beast.  Well done!  I am a bit nervous of entering in 2015 but Minni may never forgive me if I don't...

PMJ well done on achieving your sub-18 5K goal so soon in the year!

GD - bad luck.  Do you think you prefer the training to the racing?  You seem much happier when running than approaching race day. I think I am more a runner (hobby jogger?) than a racer to be honest and the thought of a race unnerves me rather.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - looking very good. What does your taper hold between now and the 100k?

PJF - good news about the Garmin.

Crash/Minni/PJF/SJ - have to say, I'm tempted to dip my toe in the water of multi-sporting, be it duathlon or tri. Would need a bit of more specific training and a bike that doesn't resemble a penny farthing though...

8 regulation miles at lunch.

• BB, it's sounding good image

Abbers, it's great fun, but it can take over your life for a while (especially if you're out for 6 hours on the bike for IM...) It makes finding 60-90 min for some running seem very straightforward.

37/253 in my 10k; now there's a low quality field (and it's not even the 'quiet' one which I've got my eye on. can't even get an entry form for that yet, it's no wonder it has a small field!)

Dreadmill 200s again tonight.

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Had an amazing experience 3 years ago. Was invited to the TDF as a guest of team Saxo at that time. Unbelievable the speed and power of the peloton was awesome and the fitness of the riders. Was lucky enough to have dinners with the team after the final stage, really memorable. Have a soft spot for cycling but time is an issue ( we have 5 kids under 12) so need to be selective about sports and generally not being selfish towards Mrs Frizzle. 

• Duathlons over triathlons for me as well. I'd need to dedicate too much time to learn how to swim efficiently.

Minni - are you heading down south to watch any of the Tour de France?

Poacher - ooh yes, definitely a feet picture please. Haven't had one for a while!!!

Legs still stiff and body still not 100% so haven't even thought about going for a run yet.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yep same here - swimming would just take up too much time to perfect. 

I'm going to start doing the cycle commute some days - 36 miles in total - first day Thursday. 

Lorenzo - no but I should have been nipping down to Yorkshire.  Just didn't get it organised in time.

While we wait for Poacher's feet here are a couple of nice pics from the Comrades site...

/members/images/46278/Gallery/10426789_10154237094470187_1535837180599119827_n.jpg

/members/images/46278/Gallery/10417445_743117399073650_3707827109717473064_n.jpg

imageimageimage

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Zombie feet! image 

My brother in law was a DNS for his 13th Comrades this year. He got injured 3 weeks out after 6 months training down the pan, but he did say that he will try again next year!

Triathlons do appeal to me but the focus is on some solid pb's at all distances for the next couple of years. My wife said to me tonight, you must do the Comrades before you get too old!image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Mennania - hope the massage went well.
    Badbark - pleased to hear the quad is improving.
    MsE - No, I like racing, just a shame most races don't start at 5am!
    Abbers - long lunch or fast 8 miles?
    CH - more dreadmills reps? You are a glutton for punishment!
    PJF - 5 kids under 12 must certainly keep you busy!
    Lorenzo - hope you recover well.
    Minni - good luck with the cycle-commute - my new job is 18 miles from home too. But please, no more foot pics!
    GM - very frustrating for your brother-in-law.
    4 easy miles this morning - by the end I felt like I was burning up and totally exhausted. Been looking at Mablethorpe marathon website...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Photo from the roadrunner marathon:

/members/images/340777/Gallery/KRR14-1-Compressed.jpg

• 5 kids under 12?  Bloody heck. 
    Frizzle - Get off the computer.  You haven't got time to be posting gibberish on the internet. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Crash - would certainly not be considering an IM! Only just run my first mara, so it would be something sprint or standard distance, if anything. It appeals, but cricket takes a large chunk of my (and the family's) time from May-Sept, so I have to be sensible about what else I can commit to, time-wise.

PJF - you've certainly got your work cut out on the home front! Blimey. And I think 2 can be hard work at times (although lovely with it).

Minni - cycle commute sounds good. I'm about 20 miles door to door, so have thought about doing something similar to you, but don't fancy riding on the roads round work as they're ridiculously busy at rush hours.

GM - if you've got permission, it would be a shame to waste itimage

Gul - no, not especially quick, just take a slightly longer lunch and make up the time. It's pretty flexible here like that, which is good. When's Mablethorpe?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Go for it GM you old codger!

Friz! 5!

My youngest (of 4) has gone off on a school trip this morning for a couple of days so we waved her off, went home and packed a case and we're now on a train down to that London for a couple of nights for some alcohol fuelled gallery touring. Bring it! Raaaaar!!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

GM - Just get it booked whilst you can!!

PJF - 5 under 12 yrs old???? That's brought me to the verge of tears just thinking about it.

SJ - Enjoy the smoke!!

Gul - You look like you are enjoying yourself on that photy!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Abbers wrote (see)

BB - looking very good. What does your taper hold between now and the 100k?

This is what I have planned until the ultra which is pretty much the same as I've used successfully for the last few PB marathons. I'll stop taking any caffeine for the last week and fat load for 5 days before carbo loading.

11 with 5 at MP

6 easy

12 easy including fast Parkrun

5 miles easy with 6 x 10 sec hill sprints

Rest

6 miles with 2 at MP 

5 miles easy

4 easy including 3 mins fast - carbo load

Travel - Rest

Portumna 100k Ultra Marathon

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Looking good Badbark, what % mix do you go to in order to fat load / carb load? Glad to hear that you are going to go for it by the way - I expect you'll be right at the sharp endimage 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Looking good Badbark, what % mix do you go to in order to fat load / carb load? Glad to hear that you are going to go for it by the way - I expect you'll be right at the sharp endimage 

SJ – I’m following the ‘New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition’ by Matt Fitzgerald which recommends 65% calories from fat for 5 to 10 days then 70% carbs. I’ve tried it out before my 50k ultra win and easy 2:56 marathon recently so I’m confident it works well for me!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - taper & diet look well honed, and clearly work for you given your recent successes.

Checking in for a regulation 5 miler at lunch hardly seems mentioning in comparison!

• Badbark, thanks for that reference. I've been puzzling over nutrition (generally and pre-race) recently and that book looks interesting. Does it talk much about teaching your body to burn fat more efficiently (as opposed to simply burning simple carbs)? Good skill (since you don't need luck) on the upcoming ultra.

Congrats and condolences, accordingly, to recent racers. My main complaint with this marathon lark is that it frequently comes down to how you feel on the day. That, and the fact that we race so infrequently that each race *really* counts. 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. Wondering if I can join in on this thread? I have mainly lived over in the HADD thread but think you guys could probably help as I build up to my next marathon. I've got 3 under my belt and my next goal is to go under 3:15 to qualify for Boston. My times have gone 3:31, 3:21, and my most recent attempt was an unfortunate DNF. It was a very hot/humid day and I collapsed in the final quarter mile (hanging with the 3:15 pacers...we were actually on pace for 3:13, which made it sting even more). Anyway, medical folks found out I very low on potassium so lesson learned for the next round. I signed up for a fall marathon because I'm an optimist (and must get this taste of defeat out of my mouth!!)! Anyway, reverse taper for the next few weeks and then we'll see what happens.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

The name on this runner's t-shirt looks familiar image

http://surreyhalfmarathon.co.uk/runner/

SB

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice spot SBimage

Get some copyright action going Lorenzoimage

Welcome VT - Seems like 3.15 is already there for you with better conditions. I am a P&Der so will be interested to see how your HADD training goes.

• Listening to Marathon talk, see badbark was podium last week and Lorenzo on rate your run this week.

Need to say a few words to Gul, Leslie and others with less than satisfying outcomes in the past week or so. This is my perspective but just offer it. For me, there are important things in life such as family and you holding onto a job is a useful thing in many ways too. This constrains us in many ways. Running, on the other hand, is something where I don't feel constrained. I admit that I run for health benefits and if I didn't run I would be very overweight and head to an early grave with blocked arteries but I could tick over on 3 or 4 easy runs a week happily. Running allows me to take a risk. I could plump for a sub-3 marathon or risk a sub 2:50. Last time it paid off, this year I over-cooked it and suffered the DNF. I don't regret it: I knew the risk and took it, and I could take the risk. When risks come off it is great, when they don't just shrug your shoulders and carry on. In years to come I will look back at the highs and forget all the DNS and DNFs  Ihave had and have yet to come.

• Tonight is Watford Open 3000m and there was a plan to go with friends but that plan failed so I decided to put it off for a month and do some track work instead. Need speed so 8x400m at 3000m pace was the plan and I reckoned 80 seconds a lap (5:20 mile or 10:00 for 3k) would do. The last track session I did was 800m reps at 90 seconds a lap so a big step up. Nice long recoveries of 100m walk and 300m jog so about 2:30 recovery.

Came out at 1:22.0, 1:22.1, 1:22.3, 1:19.4, 1:20.3, 1:19.0, 1:17.5, 1:19.4. Started outside 1:20 and then I got up onto my toes and started using the arms and the times came down. Did a silly fast penultimate one in 1:17 which says 5:09 pace.

Easy plan now: recovery tomorrow, Ealing Mile Friday, recovery Saturday, Wargrave 10k Sunday, recovery Monday, Vets AC 5 mile in Battersea Park Tuesday.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Mennania, thanks. I have tried P&D in the past, but ended up injured. The HADDing approach seems to keep me healthier over the long haul, but admittedly I have evolved quite a bit over the past few years. Maybe the biggest thing is working with a great Fizz team to learn now to correct my imbalances and work through injuries that previously would have stopped me. But as an FT type guy, the HADD stuff seems agreeable. Look forward to comparing notes.

PMJ, well put. I can appreciate that perspective. I can honestly say that pushing through the final 5 miles before going down was likely the grittiest thing I've done. The marathon always seems to let me look directly into my guts to see what I've got. Not saying I hope to repeat that feat of willpower though...maybe a few notches down would be OK next time.image Also, as endurance athletes, we are all scientists in our own way. Understanding the physiology of running and what works for each of us is a challenging (and intriguing) journey.