Not Again

I have been slowly returning to running, it has taken since last June when allowed to recommence running, to get back to 12 or 13 kms daily. Prior to that I had 2 stress fractures of my left medial tibia over a spell of almost 2 and a half years taking ages to heal both times. My problem now is the pain has started again along with a most odd sensation kind of flickering over the old fracture site. Any ideas what this might be I am not running as much as I was before the fractures.

Comments

• No need for rudeness we all have different motivations!

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    How did the first 2 stress fractures occur?
  • Simple over use I increased my training probably to quickly but thought I had avoided that this time, almost a year from zero to  where I am now

• I had stress fracture of my right tibia.  Have now moved on to the lightest version of vibrams to minimise impact.  Seems to be working so far.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Are you running every day?  Whilst increasing from 0 to 13k over a year seems perfectly sensible, running 13k every day doesn't.  Your body does need time to recover, so a couple of days off a week (or cross training e.g. swimming) would be usual, especially with a history of stress fractures.  I think it's more the frequency than the distance that I'd be concerned with.

Have you had a bone scan at all?  What's your diet like?  Are you male or female?

(Sorry for all the questions)

• Hi female vegetarian, 49 kgs 168 cm, I can now write the next bit of the conversation!

• Time to take advice from a doctor then. 

Because I think it would be very odd if this wasn't down to a combination of your nutrition (not good enough) and your training (too much). The slow healing is a clue too.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Duck tape...you know the answers to the underlying cause then.....

if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got.

or something like that

BMI 17.3 is one of the diagnostic criteria for something....cant recall what

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Overtraining and poor diet.  Eating disorder?

• Well obviously being a veggie wouldn't necessarily mean your diet was poor but if you want to run that far every day you'd really have to be careful to make sure you were getting the nutrients you needed to sustain it. 

• Thanks guys , seems alwayto come back to what I eat which is plenty, cant help build

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Would it help to have it in plain English?

you will almost certainly have weak bones (diet, secondary endocrine insufficiency)

there is also likely to be an underlying biomechanical factor contributing, so if you haven't addressed that, you will just tend to get recurrences of the same injury, by the same mechanism.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Joddly has it spot on.

I am currently not running due to overdoing it, got tendonitis in my lower shin.  I have a history of osteopenia and take calcium and Vit D tablets, so I am being sensible and resting, eating healthily and letting my body heal, boring but necessary.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Of  course you're injured, its your diet, and because you're still here to tell us. Other vegetarians on such mileages end up in a McBurger, and they don't even get a chance to post.

🙂

• >> ✭✭✭

are you a woman? have you had menopause yet?

if yes, you fit almost every criteria to get osteoporosis.

if you are a post-menopausal woman with a history of recurrent stress fracture and you are severely underweight the chances of osteoporosis is extremely high !

i would go back to your GP as you should be screened for osteoporosis if you have not been so already. he should be able to request a DEXTA x-ray set which will get information on bone denesity. if you have very thin bones, which might be the underlying cause, would need aledronic acid, plus vitamins (calcium and vitamin D).

hope that is more helpful than some of the sarcasm here 

• DT I notice now that you mentioned problems with being underweight back in November. 

If you are still struggling with this you already know what you need to do.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well I was diagnosed (ten years ago) with osteoporosis but it had nothing to do with diet or anything normally associated with the condition.

That's because if you happen to have parathyroid (calcium regulators) problems, nothing short of surgery will fix it.

Had another bone scan myself on Thursday. Results will go to the endocrine consultant and then I'll be having the full body scan sometime.

5 mile race tomorrow, should go sub 30 minutes.

🙂

• Thanks for all the replies I had a hysterectomy 20 plus years ago an yes still struggling with weight will consider all the advice offered. I was hoping someone might have an insight/inspiration/magic wand that might offer something which was probably less like I had worked out but will have a good think. CxxCxx

• Saw my GP last week re leg, he sent me for an x-ray, which he admitted will be of limited benefit probably, he says will also make ortho referral. He did not mention my weight but I have no doubts I will be questioned again when I see the surgeon.

• HI guys I thought I would give you all an update on progress so far, this has been limited but who knows that may be about to change. I have to see the surgeon re leg on Thursday perhaps a magic wand, here's hoping! I also have an appointment with a psychiatrist as apparently there is a school of thought which thinks I have an eating problem, I think I eat fine and I do not want to go but will keep appointment even if only to prove my doubters wrong