Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Nice running there bus. I need to pick up a first finish at Wycombe one day: 4 2nds, 8 3rds.

• RicF, i'll be getting down to harrow about 1 hour early next Sunday to warm up and see the course. Where shall I meet you?

I prefer the 10k to the 5 mile so I should hopefully come back with a better time then the 5 miler in terms of standard. I won't be happy unless I go sub 33 because it's about time I moved on to better things. I never worked hard enough in my last 5 miler and still got a decent time and the course was considered hilly as well so I shouldn't have a big problem going under 33.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good run Phil. I think the shock of trying to run at that pace will see me off after about 400m so I'll keep to longer distances.

Excellent victory in the Park Run race Bus. I remember my own single victory myself. 

Samir. I tend to arrive around the same sort of time. Easy to see where to meet up, I'll find you if you are there.

Just have to remember you won't be on an 8 foot diameter plate with witty comments on the circumference.

Btw, what sort of race shoes do you wear? trainers usually weigh around 12oz, racers are down to about 5oz. Worth 15 seconds per mile to me.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

phil - racing yourself fit is agreeing with you.  Nice jump up for a SB.

Tidy win bus and in a great manner too, reeling in the excitable fast starters.  Great stuff.

1500m for me today in div 1 midland league.  Wasn't feeling it in warm up or strides.  Target was a PB  and stretch was sub 4.10,   Through 400 in 63 which is fine, settle down into 6th and through 800 in 2.11 which is about right and I felt strong so I chase the group in front and get to 1100 in 3.02 and in 5th.   I slowly build pace and with 200 to go I'm on the shoulder of 4th so I wind it up.  I'm still feeling strong, surprisingly, I pass 4th and onto the shoulder of 3rd.  Last 100 and I throw the brakes off.  Fly into 3rd and 2nd is 10m up but I'm closing, closing, closing and with 10 to go I pass and finish in 2nd.

Time 4.05.1. A 10sec PB (that PB was set when I won the gold at the gb champs)   Stunned and delighted.  2nd on the uk rankings behind Antony whiteman. image

• Will be interesting to see what comes in the 10KM for Samir.. As that is a measured race as opposed to the "5miler" - Am I correct?

Samir I did a race the other day and it was 4.68mile and I only ran 26:35 I think so much I'm slower than you now

You'll need to run slightly quicker for just over a miler longer regardless if you like the distance. that is tough asking.. You'll always effectively need to run back to back 5KM PBS...(I don't want to put a downer on the big problem part as looks like you've made good improvements)

I hope you run a solid time as 33:xx would be great either way and sub 33 amazing...

Good luck to all racing though! Smash it!

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Dirty fast Dean btw, we posted same time so missed it image

2nd in UK - pleased for you!!!

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps. Philip, its just oure luck who (doesn't) turn up on the day of course! Dean, what can I say? Magnificent stuff!! Very well done.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, a 10 second pb in a 1500m! is that possible? brilliant stuff.

🙂

• Dean, scorching. You now need to start looking at all time rankings and ignore those fleeting year rankings. All time list is 12 guys sub 4 for 1500: Anthony Whiteman followed by Dave Moorcroft: now that is a list to get onto.

My 5.2x mile seems silly in comparison but it all goes to show just how good you are.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Dean - just WOW!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Dean! You must be buzzing with that result, surely a sub 4 and a sub 2 in the same yearimage

Iron, it's in Fleetwood tomorrow.

Good luck next week Samir, I hope the sub 33 comes as easy as you make it out. image
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Back from the Ickenham 5 mile. Managed to end up with 30:50 after going through 2 miles in 12 minutes.

Seemed almost an easy pace to start with but the heat must have been a factor.

HR was showing up to 177bpm which means today I was at least 10 years younger than I amimage

Wasn't first V50 because there was one just in front of me. I suspect there was another even faster. Still, at least that meant I could go home early.

Age grade of 81% so another on the list. Compared to my absolute fastest races, I only needed to be one second per mile faster today to match them on the WAVA.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Ric, 81% WAVA is not to be sniffed at! In case I ever actually manage to get to do this, is it a fast course?

• Good run there Ric: it was hot and everyone seemed to be slower today.

Wargrave 10k for me and really followed much the same pattern as Staines 10k with the emphasis on position over time. It is a Datchet Dashers club champs race and quickly scan the start sheets and work out I am 4th fastest on paper and 4 for the team race so looks like the plan is to go round and come home 4th for good champs points and a team prize. Race starts with 400m round a playing field (hardly ideal underfoot) and then out for a lap of the town to make up distance and then onto the course for real at 1k. The heat is not too bad but definitely a factor and I settle down behind 2 packs of runners. At about 2k we start climbing and a bunch of 3 splinter off the back of the pack in front including a young, fast Datchet guy. As we go up, he goes backward and I am alongside him but his body language is just so negative that I don't even encourage him to hang on. The course goes upwards steadily to 5k and I seem to be making ground on the other two (both heavily set tri-type guys who were probably finding the hills and heat harder than me) so I set about to pick them off and by 5k I had got them both.

The downhill section starts and I assume they were coming back as I could hear runners behind me and three runners pass in turn but not the two tri guys. The last two by were not making great progress so I held on and started to pull back a bit on the one in front up to about 8k when I started to hear "first lady" and I thought that it would be prudent to push for home and put some runners between me and her so I took the guy in front and pushed for home and it ended up that way.

38:23 on the Garmin and 38:07 last year on the same course. Last few miles this year were much better (last year was a death march round the field at 6:16 pace cf 6:04 this year) so pluses and minuses. I didn't run yesterday but had an active day after Friday's race and legs felt OK for it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, it is a fast course. Only I wasn't too fast on it. Seems pretty well flat most of the way.

Spent a lot of the race watching Sam Amend just up the road. 

Funny sort of race, I ran to numbers (HR) rather than perception (pain) and still blew up after 2 miles. Just gradually tied up over the course of half a mile. 

Its a long time since I could just force the pace without risking the death zone.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great run and report Phil.

I've just had the results emailed to me and I was 25th, 3rd V50.

Had the satisfaction (wrong! no satisfaction, I just noticed) of running over a minute a mile faster than a guy who once won the London Marathon.

I was 4 minutes off my fastest ever 5 miles, he was around 13 minutes off. 

🙂

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Good run there Ric: it was hot and everyone seemed to be slower today.

Wargrave 10k for me and really followed much the same pattern as Staines 10k with the emphasis on position over time. It is a Datchet Dashers club champs race and quickly scan the start sheets and work out I am 4th fastest on paper and 4 for the team race so looks like the plan is to go round and come home 4th for good champs points and a team prize. Race starts with 400m round a playing field (hardly ideal underfoot) and then out for a lap of the town to make up distance and then onto the course for real at 1k. The heat is not too bad but definitely a factor and I settle down behind 2 packs of runners. At about 2k we start climbing and a bunch of 3 splinter off the back of the pack in front including a young, fast Datchet guy. As we go up, he goes backward and I am alongside him but his body language is just so negative that I don't even encourage him to hang on. The course goes upwards steadily to 5k and I seem to be making ground on the other two (both heavily set tri-type guys who were probably finding the hills and heat harder than me) so I set about to pick them off and by 5k I had got them both.

The downhill section starts and I assume they were coming back as I could hear runners behind me and three runners pass in turn but not the two tri guys. The last two by were not making great progress so I held on and started to pull back a bit on the one in front up to about 8k when I started to hear "first lady" and I thought that it would be prudent to push for home and put some runners between me and her so I took the guy in front and pushed for home and it ended up that way.

38:23 on the Garmin and 38:07 last year on the same course. Last few miles this year were much better (last year was a death march round the field at 6:16 pace cf 6:04 this year) so pluses and minuses. I didn't run yesterday but had an active day after Friday's race and legs felt OK for it.

Was it a very scary woman? Did the other runners protect you adequately?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't think you have entirely comprehended the full shame and horror of being beaten by a woman, marrows.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

It happens to me all the time.  Don't see why it's an issue.

• literatin wrote (see)

I don't think you have entirely comprehended the full shame and horror of being beaten by a woman, marrows.

I don't really mind if I get beaten or not. The ladies that run at my pace are relatively way better than I, so today it was Kay Walsha behind me who is running mid 80s WAVA, and they tend to be more even paced, so if they are coming through at the end it is just a sign to me that I have started to fast and need to dig in. She is one of those rare people who have beaten Samirimage

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well done RicF, great Wava! Was a warm one today too.

well done on the 10k Phil. The races are clocking up! 

I ran Fleetwood rotary 10k today. an out and back course smack bang on the sea front with the Irish Sea and the Lake District in view across the water. Nice warm day and the first 5k was into decent headwind. My plan was to see who was about and just race it, no real pressure of time as I want to use the races as my hard efforts. 

I was told by a running pal that I'd more than likely be running solo as the field looked to be a bit thin. I ran the first mile side by side another runner and was going to tuck in behind him straight away but was far too polite so stayed side by side. just before the first mile marker he laughed and said that I was looking far too comfortable as he was starting to breath heavy and I tend to breath really quietly and in truth it did feel really steady. He then mentioned that it was a bit too brisk for him and then I was off on a solo charge for 5 miles. 

5k out into a tough wind and then a dead turn. Checked my watch at the turn and it was 17.30 something and I was a good 300 metres or so clear. As soon as I turned I could feel the sun baking my pasty white pale head, better than the wind I suppose. Just pressed on the last 5k and finished in 33.56 about 3 1/2 mins clear of second. Wore new trainers and my feet were on fire! 

A race of two halves! 

5.26 and the 0.2 @ 5.06 pace. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Philip. There are plenty of women who beat the likes of me and Philip, so being beaten by a woman isn't an issue (and there's sod all we could do about it even if it was!). However, the level me and Phil are currently running at right now just happens to coincide with roughly similar times as the first lady in many of the more local races. So as Philip says, when you hear the shouts of "come on, first lady" from just behind you, it's a fair bet that you might be starting to fade and perhaps need to pull your socks up and focus a bit more! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Even I've beaten Samir, Phil.

Well done Matt, and also meant to say earlier: bloody hell, Dean!

• Hi all, after some advice from you well informed lot... this is my first track season and I have tried to maintain my winter mileage (hovering around 40 per week) during the summer, even though the track sessions are getting quicker and harder (majority of the lads/ladies I train with are mid distance runners). I have had a few niggles lately and wondering if I should cut back the mileage, but don't want to do this to the detriment of my endurance? Is there a compromise? I tend to aim for a long run, track session and tempo every week and then easy running between to get up to 40 ish

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - cross post. Well done on the win. Sounds like a nice back drop for a solo effort too image

LSH88 - kinda depends on the nature of the niggles. Some are made worse by speed and others by distance. Care to expand?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Some great racing this weekend congrats phil, ric and matt.  A positive thread weekend!

LSH88 - last year was my first on the track for decades, I kept my winter mileage but worked hard on the track sessions.  The result was niggles, a groin strain and achilies injury which nearly ruined my summer.  After speaking with  our clubs fastest,  a 3.43 1500m and a 1.48 800m man.  He said halves his winter mileage in the summer and ave pace is between 7.30 and 8mm.  This year a couple of us have followed suit and it has paid out in decent PBs for all of us.  But the track training sessions are brutally fast to balance the slow stuff.   It might not work out for everyone though.

• Bus - tends to be things like tight calves after a track session, or at the moment I have a pain in my heel which clears up after 2-3 miles but then stiffens up when I stop running... 

• Dean - that's the approach I would take except I am focusing on 3 and 5k, and don't want to lose the endurance? The very sensible person in me would say drop the track sessions if they are hindering me, but I enjoy them so want to accomodate them

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

could it be the track that is causing the niggles? I've been warned off a few people that  they can be the problem. I'm not sure if its my gait or something else but 95% of all my niggles and injuries are on my right leg/foot etc. I'm not sure if running round the track and sort of pushing off on my right side is causing the little niggles If you know what I mean. 

• You could be right Matt. I only ever run easy the day before and after track and never do doubles on a Thursday. I guess hanging onto the quicker guys could be the reason too (30 second 200's!!)