Options

Re: strategies for the last 6 miles

Hi there,

I thought sharing ideas on the most difficult part of the marathon could be good for everybody.

Here's mine: at mile 20 I go for 23 breaking it down mile by mile. My rationale is that if I get to 23 the finish line is too close to give up and then I try to keep up the pace for one more mile, one more and one more. 

What's your strategy?

Comments

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Williams: "when it comes, I won't even notice."

Han: "oh? How so?"

williams:" 'cos I'll be too busy looking good!''

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Bloody hell, only 10k left now... Bloody hell, Only 9km to go, eeeek is there really 8.8km still to go..... FFS stop whining woman there is only 8k to go. etc...

Then at 40km it's thanks f**k for that only 2.2km to go get your arse in gear. 

• Options
    VAVA ✭✭✭

Like that! Break it down into smaller manageable chunks image

• Options
    VAVA ✭✭✭

Has anyone got experience of ultras? I was thinking that if you've done 50 miles in one go (or so) then marathon running and concentration should greatly improve. Or is it just a different game?

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I kept going for the last six miles of my second marathon thinking, if I don't get a move on, then I will not get a PB.

The temptation to walk was pretty strong at times. And that thought was motivation enough to keep me jogging. image