Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - Sounds like you raced it well and weren't spent at the end. That is always pleasing especially when you consolidate your place in race. Don't you find it's quite scary when these fast girls are gunning for you. Keep's us on our toes....image

I don't really differentiate between men and women: I just don't like people coming by in the closing stages of a race. I am fairly used to dropping a few places mid-race as I start out fairly fast but really by 8k into a 10k, I expect to be racing it out with the people alongside me and not having someone come through.

I think one factor in this is the lack of depth on the female side. Yesterday was not a fast course and not good weather, so a lot of people were out for position. I was 13th overall in 38:24 and first lady was 15th in 38:41. Second lady was 29th in 40:26, and third lady 41st in 41:56. Those are big gaps, so if you are running for position in the ladies' race there is a lot of space and the temptation must be to see where you are after the first few ks and settle down. The first lady has run 10k faster than my SB three times and faster half as well, so she was down on where she should be.

Maybe our fast girls can comment.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

first lady was 15th in 38:41. Second lady was 29th in 40:26, and third lady 41st in 41:56. Those are big gaps, so if you are running for position in the ladies' race there is a lot of space and the temptation must be to see where you are after the first few ks and settle down. The first lady has run 10k faster than my SB three times and faster half as well, so she was down on where she should be.

Maybe our fast girls can comment.

You can't always see where the lady behind you is because there are all these bloody men in the way obscuring your view. So you just run as fast as you can anyway just in case.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Neither do I, it was a tongue in cheek remark, but what I do is compare my performances to the fast ladies here in Jersey as I am nowhere near fit or fast enough to race against the faster men. Lit, Speedy and Jools would wipe the floor here with all bar one woman that I know that runs, so that kind of gives you an indicator of the lack of depth in Jersey. I have not seen the half results for yesterday but I don't think they will be fast with the exception of the winner who ran 71. Some of the runners at the top end looked like they were in their own private world of misery towards the end. I think the phrase over-cooked was very apt for how the majority of runners dealt with or rather didn't deal with the conditions yesterday. You are a very experienced runner/racer and seem to keep a very cool head even when it's hot.

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ -  You are a very experienced runner/racer and seem to keep a very cool head even when it's hot.

I benefit from being able to tell the story from my viewpoint and after the event. When you write the history book it is easy to be seen as the victor. We will see the truth when I get my name onto that A race list and then have to deliver. So far 2014 has been promising but I have not truly delivered: 3 runs above 79% WAVA but none above 80%.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Small margins can be sometimes hard to find but that's what we runners strive for. As long as you are fit and not injured and keep enjoying it then you give yourself a good chance of achieving your goals and that's very rewarding in many ways.

Gul - I love running in the sun but not racing. I can handle a 5k flat out but that's about it. We had an average May and June has warmed up considerably and I think most of the racers yesterday where not acclimatised. I takes the body at least a week, maybe more to get used to that heat. I've heard there were some hospital cases yesterday but believe none serious, thankfully. I remember when I went out to Africa in 2011 and raced a half. I had two weeks training in the sweltering heat and come race day I was ok, temperatures rose to 37c! The army guys were dotted along the course from 4am with huge containers of ice with water etc and by 8am it was cooking. Saw some horrible sights that day. Jersey Autumn 2011 marathon was a freak one too with temperatures reaching 26c. Too hot for a marathon.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

There will be plenty of fast ladies in front of me at Blaydon tonight, it's top class field

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

bit of a catch up but some top running - OO51 - that's a cracking park run result. What speed work are you doing presently?

PMJ - my 5k gives me a 79% wava. The same time in a couple of weeks will get me to 80%.

GM - I melt if it gets over 20c. 37c is not running weather.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Bit of a catch up over the weekend's posts. Some great racing and training going on, so well done to the various parkrunners, track athletes, racers and runners.

Welcome back to Rich too; looks like you're planning on racing yourself fit!

A thunderstorm on Saturday morning put paid to cricket yet again, so the weekend's sporting endeavours only consisted of a 10 miler early yesterday at about 8:20 pace. 6 steady ones at lunch today.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well that was an interesting run to say the least... Decided to give myself a break from studies and head out for a 10k run with some hills thrown in. Plan was to run the 1st 3 miles of the Nov Jsy half which is all pretty much uphill. Aim was to get some more miles in the legs but without to much strain so aiming for around 7:50's. All going to plan until I reach about 6k and get slightly confused as to which turn to take. I decide to keep running and about a 2k or so later I am hopelessly lost and once you hit the green lanes in Jersey the countryside can easily swallow you up. If I had been I a car I would have probably been able to undo what I had done in 10 mins but with 10k in the legs and about 250m of ascent I am starting to get agitated. I stop at some old farm house and luckily I meet a young lady who tells me I am going in the wrong direction from where I am meant to be going. FFS, how can this happen? Anyhow she tells me to go back on myself and head up a long country lane and take the next right. So I thank her and head off looking to head in the direction of the sun. It becomes cloudy now and I am still unsure I am going in the right direction. I reach civilization with 16.xk on the Garmin and what was meant to be an easy 10k turned out be 10 miles @ 7:3x pace. Ramped up the pace in the last 5k or so to get to my destination quicker. I guess that's what we runners do sometimes.....image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GM we've all done that, usually it's when you are knackered or the weather turns nasty as well.

Menn I'm not doing any speedwork at the moment. The weekly parkrun is the fastest thing I do by a long way. I rarely get anywhere near 7m /miles in training.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

GM, so glad you found your way back and are not lost forever.

It's true that often the women are sparse in our local races, PMJ. It's too easy to fall into a lazy habit of only racing the women, and then ignoring any who are very far ahead, which leaves you racing no-one!

Ran a rather sorry 5K this evening, on a fast course and about 100 seconds outside PB, but not feeling too sorry about it since legs are tired from cycling yesterday and I made it up to 11 miles with jogging there and back.  That must have done me some good..?  Plenty of quick ladies out for once!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Marrows - Ah thanks, I thought for a moment there earlier that I would have to keep on running until I could run no more, you know you are lost in Jersey when you don't see a car for more than a few minutes. As it turns out it was a good thing as I need to up my mileage and a 10 for Monday is a good start for me. I'm off on a 6 day bender this Friday but will be running when I am not drinking lot's!image I am not surprised your legs were tired with all that biking. Bit of speed in the 11 so a good workout. Are you planning an assault on an Autumn marathon?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Quick post before my early departure to Geneva (and I haven't packed yet)

Ran a stormer at the Blaydon- 33:05 a new course PB by 6 seconds. Average pace 5:48 per mile.

Mile 1- 5:36, 2- 5:38, 3- 5:39, 4- 5:55, last 0.7 somewhere above 6 mins. 

Minni- where were you?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

By the way 3 ladies were ahead of me, 2 of whom looked.....African  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

By the way 3 ladies were ahead of me, 2 of whom looked.....African?  

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - if you get lost every day you could rack up some cracking mileage.
    marrows - 11 miles inc. 5k fast is definitely a good session.
    OO - that is very fast!!! Congrats on the PB.
    11 more plodtastic miles this morning.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

OO - you're clearly in great shape at the moment with all these pbs!  Enjoy Geneva.

Marrows - 5k within 11M is great HM/marathon training.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Great result there. You should try a 10k, in this sort of form that would be another pb ticked off.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

GFA details will be on the VLM website from the 13th. Anyone remember how long the window tends to be open for?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

00-51 -great racing and pace 

Gerard- nice 10 miler

Gul -getting back at it with an 11 miler.

PMJ- nice 10k time.

9 days have passed now and I've done 0.0 miles, I forgot how much time running takes up a week image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Why the 9 day hiatus, are you injured or just having a break.

Off out now for a run. Not sure where or how far, but it could take a while. It's hot again.image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gerard- bit of both I strained my hamstring for the second time in 3 weeks now in the mara image , seems to only play up after about 8 miles then gets rapidly worse so I thought id give it some proper rest this time.

I haven't had more than 3 days of in a row in the last 3 years though and usually 2 a month max and its proving much more difficult to get restarted this time..

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Wise to rest it then.

Lovely 8 miler d&d. Headed east along the coast road and parked off at the beach at 4 miles because it was too gorgeous to resist. Had a little dip and dried off and then headed back home. 2nd 4 was topless and it felt great, probably didn't look great though.image 31:30 out and 29:53 back, so a bit of a easy effort mixed with a quicker 2nd half.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

9 days rest Leslie- I don't doubt your body is wondering whats going on.

Very groggy today- not sure if it's the race or the beer after image 

• 9 day rest? You mean *without an injury*? weird... image

Gerard, glad you checked in, was just googling the number for International rescue image

OO, deserved one after the other image

Abbers, please can you not arrange any cricket next week? I'm going away and would like some sunshine image

200 fast/200slow again for me tonight. Fractionally faster every time... image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - I'm sure the prolonged rest will do you good - it's hard waiting though.
    GM - sounds idyllic.
    CH - dreadmill reps paying off!
    8 miles @ 7:20 m/m d&d.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Crash - ha! As it happens, I'm off to Lord's for the Test tomorrow, and the sun will be shining, so I don't think it can be meimage We might actually get to play at the weekend again too. Happy days. Where are you off to?

Leslie - sometimes proper rest is all that will do. Come back healthy and you won't have lost much fitness.

GM - lovely sounding run, and all without the need for tricky navigation!

Gul - nice miles there and a decent pace.

OO - I'd blame the beer; you're a racing machine!

Nothing to report from yesterday. Felt a bit dodgy all day, lethargic, stomach playing up. Seem to be back to normal today though, so a session of 800s at lunch I think.

• Vets AC 45 mile race yesterday evening in Battersea Park. After running sub-18 in a competitive 5000m at another Vets AC event just over a week or so I was hopeful for a good field but it turned out not to be so: the front three were sub-28 guys so they disappeared and the next back was minutes behind me so it ended up as a time trial and I didn't have the heart to push hard so 5 miles in 31 minutes is a good reflection of plodding round without trying hard. I don't even have any feedback on splits as the Garmin decided to loose signal regularly so I have a 4:01 mile in the middle there somewhere when I apparently left the park and went round the back of the library, came back in and jumped into the Thames. Total distance was recorded as 5.57 miles so 5:41 paceimage

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That's quick for a 45 mile race - you're flying

• Shame it wasn't a race for you, PMJ (though good point, well made, Poacher image )

Gul, that is indeed a decent session ; inside MP for me!

Abbers, hope you have fun at the cricket; be intriguing to see the new-look England. I'm not getting to see any international stuff this year. Still, a week in Cornwall to look forward to; weight loss of 2.25lb since Saturday, but a week of pasties, cream teas and Rattler may offset this somewhat. We will, however, be getting a lot of training done too...