Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

My LT run home was a bit so so. Was supposed to be 4mi at LT but only managed 3.5 as felt like I was going to blow up. Think I might have ran the first mile too fast for my current fitness, and it was a bit warm. Hopefully I will improve the more I do. When I got home my OH commented how f*cked I looked, she said I haven't looked that bad for quite a while. Then found out the sad news Rik Mayall has died. Very sad, Thought he was great. image

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Sad news indeed about Rik Mayall.

Well done on chalking off the first of the campaign 15W.

First day of the 18 week plan for me also, so got the 9/4LT to look forward to tomorrow. Going to hover between 55-70 and 70-85 so just 5 recovery today.

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

I found it very humid today. Sweating buckets. 

• Options

Andrews - thanks for the response re: base mileage, averaging just over 50 for the last 4 wks. Nice non-race there, you must have been moving through the field until the end.

Menn - ditto, thanks.

Scott - Good to have someone to compare notes with. Looking fwd to cracking on now although still a bit apprehensive about going up to a max of 70 miles. Just looked back at my last schedule, maxed out at 61 before.

15w - Good to make a start and get the LT done, you'll def see the improvement on the next one.

MM - Good to get going too. have a good one tomorrow.

Recovery run for me tonight, felt good.

• Options

Just found this shiny new thread and you're already 21pages in!! 

Started the plan for York marathon today. I've not run much since the Manchester marathon in April due to a combination of patella tendinitis and a heavy dose of CBA, so beginning with a LT run was somewhat of a challenge. Actually managed LT pace for one of the four miles, so I'll take that.

Just 17 and a bit weeks to go! image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey oop NSGNR. I'm at York too. All aboard... Toot Toot!

• Options

Must be good to get the plans started 15w and MM

Just running: yeah times aren't too different so will be good to compare, 61 up to 70 miles isn't too much further my last plan didn't go higher than 55 so I am really stepping up

Welcome NSGNR, what time are you aiming for at York?

We need Fergster to come back and update the list, where is he?

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Hello NSGNR, I'm also doing York, Did you run it last year?

Scott, think Fergster said he was off on holiday early June? You'll be fine with the step up, just go steady with pace zones early weeks and back off if needed maybe?

• Options

Hi all,

A couple of questions.

8m LT (4m@MP).

My HM pace is 6:50/mi and my target MP if 7:15/mi (3hr15min). Any suggestions on what paces I should run this, bit confused as MP is obviously slower than LT pace.

Does anyone else have to run 3.1, 6.2 and 13.1 instead of 2, 6 & 13 mile runs? (very sad I know!!)

• Options

Sorry, that MP should read 7:27/mi for a 3:15 marathon.

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Steve, I think the workout should be 8miles with 4 at LT.

So 2mi warm up, 4 @ 6:41-6:50, 2mi cool down.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

As per andrews - LT should definitely be faster than MP.

Speaking of LT workouts, I did Blaydon Race last night in a much better time than I'd anticipated, given my lack of recovery - 41:47 for 5.8 miles (such a random race distance - it's massive though, and clearly run by runners if that makes sense).  The long push along 3 miles of dual carriageway is totally forgiven when you hit the finish and are presented with a bottle of beer and a sandwich!

Just two more weeks of dicking around with something that doesn't really look like meso 5 (though the next few runs will be as per the plan), then I can get cracking again.  Planning on giving the cross training a go this time too - off to reacquaint myself with the swimming pool... 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Steve - LT is roughly how fast you could run for an hour...for most that's somewhere between 10mi and half marathon pace.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

4mi jog into work this morning, and 9mi home. Bit off-piste from schedule.

• Options

Good run Madbee although in my head I have a picture of a bunch of runners have a sing-song.

Big race for me this morning, parents sprint at school sports day, just a bit of fun thoughimage.

• Options
    Steve Trotter 2 wrote (see)

Does anyone else have to run 3.1, 6.2 and 13.1 instead of 2, 6 & 13 mile runs? (very sad I know!!)

Err no if anything i run 2.5, 5.5 and 12.5 and round them up!!! I like rounding up!image (except in races when i round down ie marathon is only 26 miles to go at the start line)
    Madbee wrote (see)

Just two more weeks of dicking around with something that doesn't really look like meso 5 (though the next few runs will be as per the plan), then I can get cracking again.  Planning on giving the cross training a go this time too - off to reacquaint myself with the swimming pool... 

Hmm - dicking around is basically what i do most of the time..... but i think everyone knew that image........

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Madbee: I reckon you've now got a lot of added stress on this race with your OH deciding to do it as well, have you ever raced in the same marathon before? If so what sort of time has he done, or is this his first?

• Options

Milemarker- yes thats what I am going to do, should be able to tell after 2 weeks if the paces are right or not

Madbee: that is a random race distance, nice racing though

15West: good mileage for the day image

Ah okay was wondering where Fergster had been, that would explain it

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Cheers LFR. I had a quick Google of your race and it’s not held under FRA rules. I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly – good luck!  TT is ace! I love it. It’s amazing how close you can get to the bikes when they’re racing. Very exciting. 

Physio says my hammy tear is healing very nicely, but still no proper running until another two weeks or so – patience, patience image I’ve knocked the hyperbaric chamber on the head as it was disagreeing with my ears and making me feels very queasy afterwards image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Steve - LT is roughly how fast you could run for an hour...for most that's somewhere between 10mi and half marathon pace.

Or between 10K and 10M pace if you're a mortal.imageimage

I've finally settled on what I'm going to be doing to build up to Dublin... it involves the mileage, LT, MLR, LR and LR+MP sessions from P&D 18/55 ... but I'm ditching the VO2 max stuff and will include more sub-LT running since my weakness is endurance and converting 5K/10k times into 26.2.

• Options

15West wrote (see)

Hey oop NSGNR. I'm at York too. All aboard... Toot Toot!

imageimageimage

MileMarker wrote (see)

Hello NSGNR, I'm also doing York, Did you run it last year?

Yes, did you? I thought it was great day, and a really well organised event. It's a great city, but I'm a little biased because I live in York. image

I'm aiming for 3.25 this year. It's not as flat as Manchester or London, though there are only a few slight inclines. I'm also  going to do some cycling in place of the recovery runs due to a dodgy knee! 

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

My calf wont settle. Appears I may have to have a few off before I even get started. Annoying

• Options

Evening,

Menn - hard luck, hope you're back out soon.

Madbee - nice race and an even better prize!

15w - Nice mileage, envy you being able to run in, I'd have to leave in a couple of hrs time and wouldn't be fit for much when I got in.

9.25 for me tonight with 5 @ MP planned. Felt manageable @ 7:04 which is a few seconds faster than planned so a promising experiment.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

5.1 just slower than marathon pace Tonight. Really must start tapering nowimage

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Good running booktrunk and Just Running.

Menn, annoying but best to be sensible and back off until it is mended. Did you decide on Chester or still thinking of further afield?

NSGNR, no I didn't run York last year, pleased to hear you rate it.

Was hoping to get my 9 with 4LT done straight after work but got held up so didn't get out until after 8 which is late. Took advantage of the cooler weather though and managed 6.18, 6.19, 6,17 and 6,14 for the LT section so pretty much on course although the last mile was hard work.

If any of the sub3 on here get chance to look back at what sort of paces they were hitting the first time they went under 3 I'd be interested to hear.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while but would like to sign in to this thread.

I am doing the Chester marathon and am on week 2 of my plan.

My target is 3:20.

My one confession is that I am doing a Hansons plan! After two marathons with P&D I wanted to try something a bit different and the 16 mile long runs are quite attractive!

I know this is a P&D thread but it might be interesting to compare the plans and the results so hopefully you will put up with me!

Week 2 only contains 41 miles so I am adding easy miles to keep the mileage at 50.

Happy running.

• Options

Thanks Andrews and Westy, just realised I've copied it from the plan onto my calendar  in error. 8m (with 4m at LT).

A nice steady 10m GA after work today felt fairly comfortable. Pleased with the recovery from the weekend, really determined to stay injury free and keep up my consistency for the full 18 weeks.

• Options
    Just checking in. Fast moving thread!

I'm into week three of the 17/55-70. It's a step up from my last plan but I'm trying to keep the slower paces slow to keep me energised during the week for the mileage. So far so good but I'll consistently examine my progress.

The MLRs are building up. 11 today. 13 in the morning.

Managed to get my 16 miler in on my birthday this weekend. One of those - everything's right runs. Best gift I could've given myself.

Good luck, all. Have we got a run of good weather coming yet or what?
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Ramjet you traitor. Be interested to know what are main differences between Hansons and P&D.

Sounds like you're doing ok Veester. 

Jog into work today for recovery run. Usually it's 4mi but might extend to 5 or 6 so closer to the schedule.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Variety is the spice of life 15W!

The Hanson brothers are of the opinion that your long run should not comprise more than 25% of your weekly mileage. Therefore doing a 20 mile run as part of a 50 mile week like some Hal Higdon plans proscribe is disproportionate and can result in a 20 mile "misadventure" rather than a run.

The idea is that you start the long run on tired legs and are therefore simulating the last 16 miles of the marathon rather than the first 16. The is similar to the P&D tune-up race weekends where you race on Saturday and do a 17 miler on Sunday.

The other idea is that you do your speed work in the first half of the plan and then "lock" in the benefits by doing slower and longer "strength" workouts.

Doing the speed work now is good preparation for lots of short races in July and August so it fits for me.