Running following micro fracture that hasn't worked

I went for a menisectomy last October, and woke up having been given micro fractures, which haven't worked. Has any one any experience or knowlege of getting back to running following such an experience? I am getting out, and running through the pain, which returns at the end of a 5k run, but can't even get up the stairs the following evening and day. I WONT give up, as that could mean my present run is the last one. Any comments/advice welcome.

Comments

• >> ✭✭✭

what did the surgeon say at the follow up ?

if i had an operation that 'did not work' and running caused incredible pain then i would stop running, see the surgeon again for advice and try a non-weight bearing exercise (e.g. swimming).

sometimes this 'wont give up' attitude can cause incredible damage so you need to seek advice from the experts and not keep running through pain.

• Hi

I actually tore the meniscus swimming, not running. I did not consent to the op. Since this I have suffered post traumatic stress diagnosed by the G.P. 

The surgeon has just said that I am very close to having a knee replacement, and nothing else really except that it is unicompartmental arthritis. He encouraged me to start running again 6 months after the op.

I have asked to be included in a stem cell study, or to be considered for autologous cartilage transplant, but they aren't done at our local hospitals, only the large orthopaedic ones. 

I don't want to stop, because I have pain most of the time anyway. I have always been very active, and now find it difficult to get to the phone in time before the answer phone cuts in. We may have to sell the house if my disability gets worse, as we live on a steep hill, which is very painful for me to get into. I went overnight from being a fell runner, with two marathons under my belt, to this, having not given consent, and without any inkling that I had any arthritis worse mentioning. The physio before hand said that it was a bit of "early wear and tear". I am determined not to let it stop me living my life. I would be grateful for anyone who has had any experience with micro fracture failure and beyond to give their opinion. 

• >> ✭✭✭

the tail deepens...

- how exactly did you 'not give your consent to the op' ?

- if you are not happy with this op and it was so 'traumatic' - why on earth would you consider experimental / stem cell surgery ?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

You don't want to stop, so you don't. Clever. And its all someone else's fault.

I bet you did give consent to the operation, you just didn't give consent to the result.

🙂

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I think you need a shrink to help with with the PTSD and a lawyer to help with the surgery. Oh maybe the Police as well as it was probably assault if you didn't consent to it.

not really sure we can help you that much.

Good luck and hope you recover more. 

• I really didnt give consent. Please do the favour of believing me. I had no idea that I had any arthritis. I am making a complaint to the Trust. I didn't even see the surgeon until just before I was put under, just a physio extended practitioner, and she never mentioned microfractures. I have ordered my hospital notes, and will be sending them to a lawyer. Giving informed consent involves discussion with the surgeon, and going through the possible problems. This never happened. I am actually an orthopaedic trained nurse, so don't go lecturing me about informed consent.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Why didn't you say no then? 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

PS: I wouldn't answer if I was you, as if you are trying to sue anyone then discussing it on a public forum doesn't seem a sensible idea. 

• I was about to say you shouldn't discuss it here if you are suing

I think you need to go back to the GP and get some counselling........You seem so hung up on running when you should be concentrating on getting well.....

you talk about disability and having to move and you are still insisting on running.......the pain is your body telling you something.....maybe you should listen to it and work on a more positive approach to rehab and fitness......self destruction isn't often a wise choice

good luck

• I was asleep at the time, and so couldn't say no. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience of this. I was out of nursing for the last 10 years, and micro fractures are a relatively new procedure, so I didn't know much about them until recently when I have been researching. They only have a 75% success rate, and my niggle in the knee from the arthritis was nothing to write home about. The meniscus pain is what I wanted treating. I just thought that people on this forum of all of them would understand how I feel, and perhaps have had the same sort of experience, but then there you are. Perhaps I am unique.

I can run, it is afterwards that hurts. 

• Never mind. I hope no one else has to put up with this. Won't be coming on here again.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm sorry you don't like our slightly flippant answers, but seriously have you read your posts.... You seriously need more help then a few random people on a forum who don't even know you can give you. 

You also have a name beginning with Mad do you think that really helps a bunch of  strangers think you are a sane sensible person? 

You insist you cannot answer a phone because it takes you to long to get across a room but you are fine running? How bad can it be if you manage to run on it? 

surely you need to stop running on it until it heals enough that you can walk across a room and pick up a phone, then maybe think about running.

i'm sorry but some injuries take a bloody long time to heal, running on it when it leaves you crippled the next day is not something a sensible person keeps doing!! Once, yes, twice..... Maybe, but repeating the same thing time and time again .... It's not going to magically get better stop running on it! Or if not then put up with the pain? You can't have both.

i also apologise as I can tell you don't appreciate my tough love attitude so you'll be happy to note I won't post again image

• >> ✭✭✭

be careful that your lawyer not is just taking you for a ride with your money. often they do not care if they win or lose as they get paid by you for activity alone. from a legal perspective, given you have signed a consent form, i dont think have no case at all. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm sorry you don't like our slightly flippant answers, but seriously have you read your posts.... You seriously need more help then a few random people on a forum who don't even know you can give you. 

You also have a name beginning with Mad do you think that really helps a bunch of  strangers think you are a sane sensible person? 

You insist you cannot answer a phone because it takes you to long to get across a room but you are fine running? How bad can it be if you manage to run on it? 

surely you need to stop running on it until it heals enough that you can walk across a room and pick up a phone, then maybe think about running.

i'm sorry but some injuries take a bloody long time to heal, running on it when it leaves you crippled the next day is not something a sensible person keeps doing!! Once, yes, twice..... Maybe, but repeating the same thing time and time again .... It's not going to magically get better stop running on it! Or if not then put up with the pain? You can't have both.

i also apologise as I can tell you don't appreciate my tough love attitude so you'll be happy to note I won't post again image

I'd say this reply is pretty well perfect so +1

🙂

• I had a different problem to you - mine was a ACL rupture, and I had an exploratory laparoscopy - when I woke up the surgeon told me he'd done a micro fracture, gave some crutches and told me not to weight bare for 6 weeks - that was a bit of a shock!

Mine didn't work either ... I had a ACL reconstruction a year later and 14 marathons later I'm doing ok!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Micro fractures- since about 1980. Ok, relatively new procedure. The idea is that certain structures in the body don't heal unless given the message they have been injured in some way. 

Problems are that the success rate depends on the patients own body repair mechanisms working as wished for. So only 70/80% success rate.

Surgeons conduct the procedure on examination as there are no other short time solutions at hand. Its like a roofer being called to check out a couple of broken tiles and discovering the entire roof needs replacing. Same place, different level.

Also that the post op pain level is said to be low, so the time scales of recovery are a challenge for exercise addicts. Especially if they use pain as a measure of training intensity.

I've said it before. Just because you want to run, have money, have rights and choices. Don't assume that you can just add running on to the list as a given. Not everyone can run.

Its a physical activity and a function of biology. Not another commodity like a tin of bins or an i pad. 

🙂