Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers all.  Dean, I've definitely got a much faster 800 in me than that, so hopefully I can deliver it next time out.

Swindon is an interesting track.  No stands or seating or anything.  A portakabin toilet.  I did notice a massive public toilet next door with nice red seating, but apparently people in Swindon call that 'the County Ground'.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - i think you probablty went through the first 800 last night quicker than you did the actual 800m last week image 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Totally in awe of you guys on here - great times all round well done all - (if only image)

• Dachs, good pair of times there. I think it useful to get a few track races in and doubling up helps to get the count up but you probably need to find an open meeting and pick on one event when people look for PBs and not position as you do at a league meet.

Over many years of running I have seen a massive range of toilet facilities from non-existent to palatial and there seems to be  very little reason so I have been to big tracks in the middle of cities with almost third world facilities and vice versa with small events at backwater places. The best I have had are at the Bank Of England sports centre: https://www.bankofenglandsportscentre.co.uk

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

dachs - i think you probablty went through the first 800 last night quicker than you did the actual 800m last week image 

Not far off - 2:21!

PMJ - to be honest, the toilets were alright, just looking for an opportunity to have a pop at Swindon Town's ground.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good to see everyone is doing some sterling training, keep up the good work chaps.

I had vowed to next post on here when pbing again, and after some really good months of training was bang ready to pick some races.

Sods law being what it is, my glutes/hamstrings locked up, which a physio did a decent job on partially unlocking.

I then had the opportunity to play in a once in a lifetime simulator of the world cup conditions in Brazil. Heat and humidity off the scale for a 5 a side game. Went a storm, even if the 2 days of DOMS was a blast from the past.

The foolish decision was letting my ego suck me into playing in an 11 a side game tonight. Was wrong from the off, hip, back, groin, arm (?!?) all super seized up.

Therefore, have retired again from footy, and erm...re-start the rehab, which the way it feels right now, will be a good few days of nothing.

I do aim to get back regularly posting again, but until then, keep up the good work chaps! (and chappesses)

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good to here from you again SG! I had similar repercussions from playing a game of football again about 18 month ago, I could hardly walk for a couple of days after.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Welcome back SG.

Playing football again, not at my age. I've already gone through all the aches and pains of unaccustomed exercise before.

And I was only playing golf!

🙂

• I've been following your escapades via FB, and it's good to see you back here SG. Heal well and I'll see you at TVXC.

1hr bike Mon & 50min run yesterday at low HR following Sunday's race. Early doors track session this morning at Bracknelll as Mrs has track tonight with BFR. Plan was 10x400 off 1min jog. Rounded times:

91, 91, 90, 91, 92, 91, 88, 91, 90, 89

After the past two weeks of time-intervals my pacing was so much better. I was aiming for 23s/100m for the first 300m then hoping for 90ish overall, so not too bad. After the 92 I did the next rep with a 21s first 100m. Interesting how the opening 100m can have such an effect. All in all, happy with this. Very happy.

In other news I have huge blood blisters on the outside of each big toe from Sunday. where I used my Skechers GoRun Ride3s. I'd had similar during the last run at Powerman so changed the laces back to proper laces from elastic; evidently this didn't solve it. Today I ran with some different socks and it seemed to be OK.Will continue to monitor. On a positive note they are very light shoes at 240g each and quite roomy even though I sized down by 1/2 a European size.

I've never had this with my ASICS (either GT21XX or Noosa) or my Brooks Adrenaline.

FWIW Dachs the toilets at Bracknell track are locked up unless it is a BFR or BAC session. Us proles must use the toilets in the leisure centre. I did pop in there to get some water, and hoped I might find a water fountain in the gym section. That was quite scary; dark full of people twice my shoulder width. They'd probably beat us all over 100m too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta Iron...it might actually be that far off!

There's day to day aches, and then there's total seize up. We're talking hip, back, hamstring, glute even arms! It's like I've done a hilly marathon offroad and then had a boxing match.

Still...we all know the power of a few days rest, and i'll settle for a nice easy run without any aches for now!

• Vets AC 45 mile race yesterday evening in Battersea Park. After running sub-18 in a competitive 5000m at another Vets AC event just over a week or so I was hopeful for a good field but it turned out not to be so: the front three were sub-28 guys so they disappeared and the next back was minutes behind me so it ended up as a time trial and I didn't have the heart to push hard so 5 miles in 31 minutes is a good reflection of plodding round without trying hard. I don't even have any feedback on splits as the Garmin decided to loose signal regularly so I have a 4:01 mile in the middle there somewhere when I apparently left the park and went round the back of the library, came back in and jumped into the Thames. Total distance was recorded as 5.57 miles so 5:41 paceimage

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Football? image tsk. Good to see you round these parts though SG. Hopefully you've had your (brief) 'affair' and have now come to your senses.

Nice session Iron. Good to see you 'back'  too, doing some speedier stuff

5.41 pace for 45 miles sounds quite tidy to me. Well done PMJ

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tsk indeed! Welcome back SG - don't be a stranger no more image

Good session Iron - 10 of anything is tough, plus pretty consistent!

Another race Philip! Blimey!

Squeezed my long run in last night in the evening sun. 13.3M hily off-road (surprise!).

I was thinking of doing the Penn 7 on Sunday as it's just up the road and I can leave the patient with my daughter just about long enough for it to be feasible, but EOD is £17 image For a two-bit local race with no prizes!! Might just parkrun on Saturday instead....

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Anyway, good racing PMJ, but don't you find cramming so many in means your motivation drops a bit?  It always does for me.

Good session Iron, nice to see consistency.

Bus, don't do it.  Save up the brownie points for when you need them!

Welcome back SG.  Hopefully you can head towards some kind of fitness.  However, you've been gone a while, so the thread has replaced you with Samir.  He's gonner run an easy sub 33 10K on the weekend, so we're all looking forward to that.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Anyway, good racing PMJ, but don't you find cramming so many in means your motivation drops a bit?  It always does for me.

If I have a lot of races then I do find I am not running them all at 100%. I guess what is not clear is the chicken and egg situation of am I running a race badly or is the race bad? Sunday at Wargrave seemed to be a slow race for everyone with the heat and hills, but I ran well 7 days ago for 5000m and well 2 days ago for the mile.

Anyway, calendar is looking a bit more free now. parkrun on Saturday, then an empty week. Next target is a mile track race on June 25th and we have well over 100 listed to start so it should be a lot of closely fought races.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Being full-time nurse, carer, housekeeper, taxi-driver and bread-winner at the moment I'm managing to bank a whole stack of brownie points Dachs image

I just resent paying £17 for a race which gives out the nastiest V40 trophies ever image. Mind you, it's the only local race I can actually run to as a warm up....

The Rye Philip?

• The Bus wrote (see)

The Rye Philip?

Where will you run? I need the boost of a first place finish but I guess there will be a bunch of fast people there this Saturday as not many races or track meets.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Probably the Rye. I'd like to do Black Park, but means being away a bit too long.

Rye should be firm underfoot this week though - we can pace each other to a sub 18 image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I expect to be seeing young Samir on Sunday. 

If he can handle some advice on the opening salvos he may get close to 33 minutes.

As mentioned before, its really awkward course. 27 right angled changes of direction, it all adds up. Decelerate, turn, accelerate. That's got to cost at least a couple of seconds each compared to straight line stuff.

Also after 400m it ramps uphill for half a mile. Try forcing that and after 3 laps you'll think you're running up Mount Vesuvius. 

Trying to figure out why I'm racing so slowly. My legs are good, its my damn lungs that don't work. When I get the main scan I'll ask if they (the medics) can check them out. 

Dare I say it, but despite (maybe because of) a physical job, I don't have any of SG's afflictions.

Maybe that what it is. You can't just go from sitting on your butt for hours on end to smashing yourself in a physical manner. Too much of a shock to the system.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

RicF - any possibility that the lungs aren't backing up your legs because of the low mileage?

• Football ruins me too! 

Mixed feelings from my track 3k Tuesday night... raced well, stuck on the back of a pair of guys the whole way around then opened up 15 ish metres on them in the last 200. However as a result of sitting back my time suffered (9.59). Felt fresh after which indicated I could have pushed a bit harder

Also achilles steel sore, so Sunday's 5 mile race is in doubt. Few days rest and cycling and see how I feel after a jog on Saturday

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

CC82, I've hit 100 mile weeks running, I've tried 50 miles running + 100miles on the bike. Last year I averaged 10 miles/day for 6 months.

I've also reverted to one long a week and two speed sessions.

And sometimes just sessions, rest and races. Always the same.

At sub-maximal paces I can cruise along without apparent effort. But speed always makes my lungs explode. In fact, in 25 years of running I can only remember one occasion (Richmond Summer league relay 1000m 1994) when I ran fast the whole way without my lungs reacting. 

If I tried an 800m at a pace I should manage, my lungs crash in 30 seconds along with everything else. I have to slow down.

The only explanation that I've ever come up with is that I haven't an ounce of anaerobic capacity in my entire system. Almost zero. 

I can operate on the edge of it but no further. 

In a race (distance) I could be comfortable, almost. If I tried a surge for even 5 seconds, I'll blow up bad enough to almost have to stop. 

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)
    The only explanation that I've ever come up with is that I haven't an ounce of anaerobic capacity in my entire system. Almost zero. 

I seem to be shockingly poor/uneconomic aerobically. Swapsies?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ric - have you specifically trained your anaerobic?  most people have a go at a couple of fast 200s and go its not for them.  cant do it.  not built that way.

many feel more comfortable at cruising pace over many miles.  so they spend yrs training that system and next to nothing on the stuff that makes an 800 feel ok.   its a lot like asking a sprinter to run a half marathon.  he cant do that but give him 5*80m reps at warp speed ....no problem.  its what we are accustomed to.

my middle distance PBs recently are due to training specifically for them.  i was miles adrift last yr when i wasnt specific. 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

CC82, I've hit 100 mile weeks running, I've tried 50 miles running + 100miles on the bike. Last year I averaged 10 miles/day for 6 months.

I've also reverted to one long a week and two speed sessions.

And sometimes just sessions, rest and races. Always the same.

At sub-maximal paces I can cruise along without apparent effort. But speed always makes my lungs explode. In fact, in 25 years of running I can only remember one occasion (Richmond Summer league relay 1000m 1994) when I ran fast the whole way without my lungs reacting. 

If I tried an 800m at a pace I should manage, my lungs crash in 30 seconds along with everything else. I have to slow down.

I can operate on the edge of it but no further. 

In a race (distance) I could be comfortable, almost. If I tried a surge for even 5 seconds, I'll blow up bad enough to almost have to stop. 

I see - it was just "out of interest" really as you'd mentioned a few times that your mileage was quite low recently.

• LSH88 wrote (see)

Football ruins me too! 

Mixed feelings from my track 3k Tuesday night... raced well, stuck on the back of a pair of guys the whole way around then opened up 15 ish metres on them in the last 200. However as a result of sitting back my time suffered (9.59). Felt fresh after which indicated I could have pushed a bit harder

Also achilles steel sore, so Sunday's 5 mile race is in doubt. Few days rest and cycling and see how I feel after a jog on Saturday

Sounds an OKish sort of 3000 to me. Was it an open meet or a match as they are run very differently?

• Phil - it was an open meet so was hoping for a good time. PB is 9.54 though set not even a month ago so at least I am not far off

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

LSH - at least it's the right side of 10.

Track last night to keep following my 5K training emphasis.  As per what Dean did last year, it's a case of using the main weekly session to do 5K of volume at target pace.  However, I'm approaching it more sequentially than he did in line with a programme I found online, building up the length of the reps until I can manage mile reps at that pace without taking long recoveries .  Week 1 was 400s, week 2 was 600s and last night was 6 x 800 off 300m plus 1 x 200.

800s were 2:29, 2:29, 2:30, 2:29, 2:30, 2:29 and the 200 was 36.  Since I had a chat before the last rep, the recovery was a bit generous, so will need to make sure those recoveries are reduced in future sessions.  But happy with 5K of volume in a total time of 15: 32, it's boding well (I should clarify that 15:30 is not my actual target time though!).

As far as the other weekly session goes (the 200s/400s), I'm struggling to make it to the track more than once a week, so I've done a couple of hill sprint sessions instead.