Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - still pretty speedy though, despite the lack of similar standard competition. A useful workout. I know it was warm, but was the dip in the Thames en route really necessary? image

Crash - cheers. I wish the new look side well, just sorry not to see Carberry get to play a home test after standing up pretty well in the winter against a rampant Aussie attack. Still, not much beats a day in the sun at Lord's. We've got a box, but no bar. Cornwall sounds great. Lovely part of the world, and you should get some decent weather for it. Nothing flat to run on though!

So, 6 miles at lunch including 6 x 800. Took a while to get the legs turning over as I haven't done a short speed session like that for ages, so 3:13, 3:07, 3:03, 3:05, 3:02 and 3:03 was both a fair reflection of current speed/fitness and a reasonable return.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thats good pace Abbers and you kept the fastest one until last.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO beat me to it. Yep Abbers, nice sesh. You are coming back well. When I come back from my 6 day trip away I have to start doing those kind of sessions on a weekly basis. Took a day off today as I have a blister on the underneath of my big toe. Came about from wearing my new trainers in the 10k last Thursday but only hurt today. Think the subsequent 32 miles I have run on it might have some to do with it.image

Gul - You all ok now?

Watched the Oslo DL tonight, didn't Jessica Judd do well. I like her, she seems to be a very gutsy runner and is still only a nipper.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - another great race - shame it wasn't 45 miles!
    CH - had a great holiday in Cornwall last year - enjoy!
    Abbers - nice intervals.
    GM - I'm not even to mention the 'p' word (well not in full, anyway). And I seem to be more or less 100% again, thanks for asking. Maybe just need to regain a little more fitness. I'm probably going to have a major cut-back next week as I'm commuting to London and back Mon to Thu for a training course, and then will be back into full swing the week after.
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

That’s it, after 22 weeks and almost 1500 miles run since mid January I’ve completed my training for the 100k Portumna Forest Marathon. Despite 10 days on holidays I’ve averaged 70 miles a week peaking at 102 miles. I’ve run over 20 miles 17 times including many back to backs and my longest run was 42.5 miles. I’ve raced 2 marathons, 2 half marathons, 6 Parkruns and won my first ever race a 50k Trail Ultra Marathon as part of the training.

I’m travelling down to Athlone tomorrow with family and friends and staying at a hotel for 3 nights. The race starts at 7am on Saturday morning. I’m 100% fit and raring to go. It’s going to be tough but I can’t feckin wait. I've even grown an 'Ultra' beard for two weeks for the occasion. Bring on the pain! Then the alcohol image then maybe a razorimage

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Madbark you are a warrior.

You have done several times the training that "normal" ultra runners do.  Expecting another podium.  Good luck

I'm off to African training camp again - looking forward to more gym fails and possibly some mystery move from Charleston Girl.

What a lovely day, so good to spend it repointing the back terrace rather than running image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Offline until after weekend, so posting Best Regards now for you, Badbark !  You definitely won't be sh1t  . . . . .

• All the best Madbark, can we follow you online in any manner? 7am start and 100k, reckon you must be looking at 9 hours or thereabouts, so done as I'm having afternoon tea.

Track today, 8*400m so that is 3200m and aiming at 3000m pace which I'd like to get beat my vet PB of 10:18 (real PB sub 9). As per last week, trying to beat 80 second laps with long recoveries (100m walk and 300m jog) and they came out a bit better today. Good tight set with average of 79.3 and last week was 80.3. If I continue to improve a second per lap per week, I'll do a 4 minute mile before Christmasimage

Really hot at lunchtime, only mad dogs and Englishmen. Actually,  I was there with a guy who was a Welsh international long jumper (won the national title in '88 with a jump of 7:15). Now winning long jump at vets leagues by some margin.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Blistering mid-week racing from OO and PMJ. 

Enjoy your trip Poacher.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend Gul

Go Badbark, go!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Mid week leg stretch last night at the Capernwray Sprint tri. Got there late so was straight into the cold water for my first open water swim of the season for a quick paddle before the horn went and foolishly hammered it off the line. A combination of cold water shock and going well beyond the red line is not a pleasant experience and my lungs rebelled resulting in the last 200m of a 500m swim being relegated to a miserable breast stroke. Lost several minutes. image

My poor showing was compounded by my inability to get my bike shoe on, then the big ring wouldn't engage for a good 5 minutes when I got on the bike. After kicking the derailleur I was suddenly off at a decent pace and moved steadily through the field over the 20k hilly route. 

On to the run and cruised past another 15 or so people with 6:55, 6:45, 6:25 miling plus 0.1 at 6mm to cruise home. Only just warmed up and wished the run was at least another 5k in length.

1hr 10mins - plenty of lessons re-learned.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

The new bike should be here in a week or so though so I'll be closer to the hour next timeimage 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - That sounds like a decent effort to me and when we the new wheels arrive there will be no stopping you!

Paltry 2 miles for me tonight as the blister underneath my big toe finally got the better of me. Got home and had a look and saw it was infected. Took the needle to the bugg*r and what a relief that was. Should be ok for a run in the morning before I embark on a 6 days of debauchery which will involve copious amounts of porter and will probably arrive back here with my liver in a sling but I am looking forward to running in the beautiful Phoenix park.image

BB - Good luck not that you will need it!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Go Badbark! Here's hoping you have the race you deserve after all that hard work. image 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - amazing campaign you have executed - you are on course for a stormer and it will be thoroughly deserved!
    PMJ - great reps and nice improvement.
    SJ - great effort, well done.
    GM - take care of that big toe.
    12 easy miles in the bag this morning @ 8:09 m/m.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Just popping in to wish Badbark the best of luck.

Slokey- nice bike! 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Badbark - very excited to hear how it all goes tomorrow image

Club session last night: 2 x 4 mins; 2 x 3 mins; 2 x 2 mins; 2 x 1 mins.  Covered a pleasing 3.5M in the 20 mins.  Followed by 6 x 20s sprints.  Funnily enough, I was the slowest at the sprints...

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

BB - Beast of a training campaign and now you can enjoy the race knowing you couldn't have done any more.

Watched the Melbourne IM night before last and someone quoted "the race is a celebation of your training" you should get your party hat on! 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Had to cut that run short, planned 6 miler became 3. Toe bothering me and my foot strike was abnormal so did the sensible thing. Very warm out there again. image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - nail it!

Nice reps from PMJ & Jools, good comeback from SJ in the tri after a dodgy swim, Gul back churning out the miles and some delightful self-surgery from GM!

Poacher - looking forward to the gym fails already.

Fantastic day at Lord's yesterday, and now back at my desk wishing I was going again today! Instead I have a tempo session lined up at lunch...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Sensible choice GM....

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

6 more in the bank, 2 of them at HMP before I went back to a pace more commensurate with the weather conditions! Conserving myself a little for tomorrow morning's (relative) LSR and cricket in the afternoon.

• 7.5 at 7.5 pace, back to turning the easy runs over easily and feeling good. Helped no end by the improvements in the scenery that the sun brings to Hyde Park. parkrun tomorrow am and hoping for a fastish one.

• Badbark - good luck dude - say no more, as you have trained SOOO hard and you have the right focused mentality. As they say  - Don't be shit!

Go Badbark!!!!!

• I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment. No planed marathons for the foreseeable future. Looking for an autumn half marathon PB before I consider another marathon attempt!

Any thoughts?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - good club session.
    GM - hope the toe is better today.
    Abbers - nice 6 miler.
    KR - how about GER at Peterborough for a PB attempt? I think you've done that one before.
    18 miles @ 8:36 m/m in lovely drizzle this morning. There's a nice hill near Sandringham that I spent about 30 mins running up and down. 61 miles for the week.
    Come on Badbark!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

If you get the fruits of your labours Badbark will definitely go well today.

Have took the week off but taken up Pilates. Will definitely improve things me thinks.

Nice mileage Gul.

Lake Vyrnwy KR - Uphill for the first mile but flat all the way around the lake thereafter and downhill for the last mile.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark- goodluck today , the training is all done image

Gul - nice 18 'er getting back into it.

slokey -- some lessons learned so all good.

Joolska-slowest..maybe they are all fast at your club though ?, practice makes perfect.

KR-in limbo .., mee too haven't run a mile this week again , I need to get back at it soon image

• parkrun this morning: OK for the first mile (5:53), CNBA fairy sat on my shoulder for the second mile (6;33), shrugged her off for mile 3 (6:07) but she came back for the bits (6:58 pace). 19:26 reflects the end of 14 days with one day off, 5 races, 2 hard track sessions and only 4 recovery runs.

Have a clear week to concentrate on speed and rest and then a mile track race the week after.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good parkrun for me this morning: finally beat 20 minutes on the tough Ashton Court course: 19.52 (which is exactly 75% AG, apparently).  Splits: 7.07; 6.34; 5.28; 43.  Target now has to be to break 7 mins for the first uphill mile image

Don't be too tough on yourself, PMJ: it sounds like your body was merely reminding you to give it a bit of a rest!

Positive vibes to Badbark...